• soda

32 62.75%
  • soda pop

0 0%
  • other

4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 56789 Last

While I think the "coke" umbrella might be confusing for me personally, I'm sure those raised in "coke" territory do just fine. Like someone else said, it's no different than Band-Aid or Scotch tape, just a brand name so ubiquitous that it becomes a generic term. Lest we forget, "aspirin" was once a brand name of pain reliever, and is now a real English word for acetylsalicylic acid.

I used to work at Blockbuster, and I got my share of people trying to use a different card too, but I think that's a different thing. That's just brand confusion, while the "coke" thing is a colloquialism. I don't think anyone really thinks all sodas are made by Coca-Cola, which would be the parallel to the video store example.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    That's different to a dialectal variation that calls something soda, pop or coke. It isn't that people are too stupid to realise that a dr pepper is not the same as the coca cola company coke, it's just that it has become ubiqitious with the fizzy soft drink.
    Something similiar annoys me concerning mp3 players, some how their all called Ipods...I dont get how that happened but it really irks me. I also work at Circuit City and have to explain to every customer their simple but annoying mistake.
    SDMF

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    Something similiar annoys me concerning mp3 players, some how their all called Ipods...I dont get how that happened but it really irks me. I also work at Circuit City and have to explain to every customer their simple but annoying mistake.
    I wouldn't care enough to correct them. I would just ask if they were looking for something specific, especially since their's so many different types of ipods
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think it may just be ignorance or mental laziness.
    Why in the world would you assume that? Just because you might not choose to engage in it, doesn't mean that someone else might not find it charming and familiar. I know full well that all tissues are not Kleenex, all copies are not Xeroxes, and all soft drinks are not Cokes. But I have no problem with the brand name identification, especially if it's a regional thing. A lot of people know what's "proper," but choose to use regional colloquialisms when they're with that group. This practice is almost universally accepted by linguists, and is not considered ignorant.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    That's different to a dialectal variation that calls something soda, pop or coke. It isn't that people are too stupid to realise that a dr pepper is not the same as the coca cola company coke, it's just that it has become ubiqitious with the fizzy soft drink.
    Well, perhaps I am a little judgmental about use of brand names in an improper fashion. I generally don't say Kleenex or Hoover or even Band-Aid (although I will say that because some people won't even understand when I say "bandage"; they'll think I need a tourniquet or something, like I'm dying). I do say aspirin, though, since that is actually not a brand name any longer, and a lot of people wouldn't even know what acetylsalicylic acid is.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Why in the world would you assume that? Just because you might not choose to engage in it, doesn't mean that someone else might not find it charming and familiar. I know full well that all tissues are not Kleenex, all copies are not Xeroxes, and all soft drinks are not Cokes. But I have no problem with the brand name identification, especially if it's a regional thing. A lot of people know what's "proper," but choose to use regional colloquialisms when they're with that group. This practice is almost universally accepted by linguists, and is not considered ignorant.
    I was writing about the Blockbuster/Hollywood Video example there, which was a situation in which someone WAS being ignorant. I understand the "coke = cola" phenomenon intellectually, but I wouldn't use the terminology because of the possibility of misinterpretation, as others have mentioned before. You seem a little sensitive about this, no offense.

MBTI
    INFP

"Coke" is understandable because wasn't Coca-Cola the first company to create soda? And wasn't it the only company for several hundred years?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Longer than that.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    "Coke" is understandable because wasn't Coca-Cola the first company to create soda? And wasn't it the only company for several hundred years?
    I'd be interested to see what Coca-Cola's market share is in the South, since it is an Atlanta-based company. I know that its market share (counting all products) for the U.S. as a whole is about 44-45%, and Pepsi's is about 30%. That sounds low for its brand to be the general term for colas. Perhaps it is (or once was) appreciably higher than that in the South, which would make it understandable that it would be more of a shorthand there.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Lest we forget, "aspirin" was once a brand name of pain reliever, and is now a real English word for acetylsalicylic acid.
    Personally, I still use "acetylsalicylic acid", and I think all the "aspirin" users sound like illiterate morons. Admittedly, though, it's a lot to say when you're in pain, and I confess that I've been tempted to say, "Just give me the friggin' aspirin" on more than one occasion.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.