User Tag List

View Poll Results: Fizzy Drink name?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • coke

    17 33.33%
  • pop

    9 17.65%
  • soda

    32 62.75%
  • soda pop

    0 0%
  • other

    4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 106

  1. #51
    señor member colmena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    See, this would drive me insane. It's like someone saying, "We watched some Blockbuster videos" last night, even though they actually rented from Hollywood Video or whatever other rental chain. If I saw that the videos or DVDs were clearly NOT from Blockbuster, I'd think that person was a moron.
    I just think it's a sign of excellent branding. Like the ubiquitous "Hoover" (in the UK at least).
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

    -How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

  2. #52
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I just think it's a sign of excellent branding. Like the ubiquitous "Hoover" (in the UK at least).
    Well.. it's not "excellent" in the UK, under copyright law, if the item becomes ubiquitous with the range of products (like Sellotape) then the name can no longer be protected under that copyright.

    That is why you don't buy "a coke" in the UK. What you buy is a fruit and vegetable soft drink with flavourings that happens to be called coke. That's why it's not a dyson, it's a dyson vacuum cleaner.

    Yeah, I know it's odd. The marketing people want to make the branding that powerful, but it has to be linked to some IP self preservation.

  3. #53
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I just think it's a sign of excellent branding. Like the ubiquitous "Hoover" (in the UK at least).
    I think it may just be ignorance or mental laziness.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #54
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think it may just be ignorance or mental laziness.
    I don't think cultural idiom and dialect can be so easily dismissed as backsliding or stupidity. It's far too complex for that.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Hexis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Coke, but on some occasion soda. And everytime I call it a coke I think to myself how stupid it is that people in my are call all sodas a "Coke".
    SDMF

  6. #56
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I don't think cultural idiom and dialect can be so easily dismissed as backsliding or stupidity. It's far too complex for that.
    You are a little more optimistic than I am, then. When I worked at Hollywood Video, I dealt with people who have come in with Blockbuster membership cards to try to rent movies. They simply did not understand that those are two different companies.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #57
    señor member colmena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Well.. it's not "excellent" in the UK, under copyright law, if the item becomes ubiquitous with the range of products (like Sellotape) then the name can no longer be protected under that copyright.

    That is why you don't buy "a coke" in the UK. What you buy is a fruit and vegetable soft drink with flavourings that happens to be called coke. That's why it's not a dyson, it's a dyson vacuum cleaner.

    Yeah, I know it's odd. The marketing people want to make the branding that powerful, but it has to be linked to some IP self preservation.
    That's an excellent point, of which I'm ashamed I didn't consider. I suppose it serves to even out a monopoly and let through new innovation. Still sort of sad for the Hoover company, though.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

    -How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

  8. #58
    señor member colmena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You are a little more optimistic than I am, then. When I worked at Hollywood Video, I dealt with people who have come in with Blockbuster membership cards to try to rent movies. They simply did not understand that those are two different companies.
    Well I think there is a slight but important difference here. I agree that this is stupidity.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

    -How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

  9. #59
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You are a little more optimistic than I am, then. When I worked at Hollywood Video, I dealt with people who have come in with Blockbuster membership cards to try to rent movies. They simply did not understand that those are two different companies.
    That's different to a dialectal variation that calls something soda, pop or coke. It isn't that people are too stupid to realise that a dr pepper is not the same as the coca cola company coke, it's just that it has become ubiqitious with the fizzy soft drink.

  10. #60
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    That's different to a dialectal variation that calls something soda, pop or coke. It isn't that people are too stupid to realise that a dr pepper is not the same as the coca cola company coke, it's just that it has become ubiqitious with the fizzy soft drink.
    exactly
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

Similar Threads

  1. self cooling soft drinks cans?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 05:28 PM
  2. Soft Drinks
    By phobik in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 04:36 PM
  3. USA: Higher Taxes on Pizza and Soda Pop
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
  4. ISFPs: best at drinking soda?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM
  5. Soft Drinks
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO