Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    ew i used to have to eat potted meat when i was younger too. We used to have potted meat sandwiches. gross.
    I'd rather have the maggots. Maggots remind me of elbow macaroni.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i remember i didn't eat pizza for 5 years once because at lunch one day at school someone lifted up the toppings and said it looked like there were maggots on it, so i couldn't eat pizza without thinking about maggots.
    yuck.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, ears might be included in it, certainly, but the souse I ate as a kid was made primarily from pigs' feet.

It's a way to make use of bony, gristly meat. The various parts are boiled for an extended period of time in an acidic liquid, typically a strong vinegar solution, to leach the collagen out of the bones and connective tissue. After being boiled until the various pork components are literally falling apart, the solids are strained out. The meat is separated from the other parts (bone, skin, connective tissues, remaining gristle) and added back to the vinegar broth. Seasoning is added at this time (typically salt, pepper, onion powder, and sometimes cayenne) and the broth is poured into a loaf pan and chilled.

The result is a strongly vinegar-flavored gelatin with bits of boiled pork embedded in it.

It's likely an acquired taste, but it's not bad actually.

See also: Head Cheese.
    I'm not sure what people would find gross about it... unless it's the vinegar taste. There are plenty of versions of it around the world (I guess they all needed a way to make use of the meat and came to similar conclusions) and not all rely that heavily on vinegar.

If it's the gelatin from connective tissue and whatnot people object to I can perhaps relate, but then again, that's how all kinds of gelatin is made; used in anything from fat-reduced food to sweets and jam.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    ENTP

lutefisk, blech.

Interesting fact: I just read that nowadays it's more common among North Americans of Norwegian descent than people actually living in Norway.
    I don't wanna!

Oberon

What I want to know is, how did it occur to anyone to cure codfish in lye?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Maybe they were making soap to sell the fat back to the codfish?

(This is a chemical burn.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Maybe some wood ash accidentally got into the water they were boiling the fish in and they didn't want to waste the fish?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

How about some chilled monkey brains?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    lutefisk, blech.

Interesting fact: I just read that nowadays it's more common among North Americans of Norwegian descent than people actually living in Norway.
    I think that's true. Some Norwegians eat it around Christmas (the time of year when people switch off their brains and start pulling parts of the forest into their homes, dress trees up to look like Russian hookers and call it tradition), but most don't. It tastes very little (apart from bacon if there's bacon), but is disgusting and runny nonetheless.

And speaking of disgusting traditional Norwegian dishes:
    Rakfisk (pronounced [rakfisk]) is a traditional eastern Norwegian dish made from trout or sometimes char, salted and fermented for two to three months, then eaten without cooking. Rak derives from the word rakr in Norse language, meaning "moist" or "soaked"[...]Fisk is the Norse word for "fish".
    It smells and tastes like rotted fish. A lot. Because it is. You just don't get sick from it. Normally.

This one however tastes good despite it being a bit... macabre:
    Smalahove (also called Smalehovud or Skjelte) is a Norwegian traditional dish, usually eaten around and before Christmas time, made from a sheep's head. The skin and fleece of the head is torched, the brain removed, and the head is salted, sometimes smoked, and dried. The head is boiled for about 3 hours and served with mashed rutabaga and potatoes.

Originally, smalahove was eaten only by poor people, but in modern days it's considered to be a delicacy.

Since 1998, an EU directive forbids the production of smalahove from adult sheep[1] , due to fear of the possibility of transmission of scrapie, a deadly, degenerative prion disease of sheep and goats, even though scrapie does not appear to be transmissible to humans. It is now only allowed to be produced from the heads of lambs.

Smalahove is considered by some to be unappealing or even repulsive. It is mostly enjoyed by enthusiasts, and is often served to tourists and braver visitors.

The Norwegian word hovud, hove means head. The word smale (indefinite, singular) is one word for sheep.

The ear and eye (one half of a head is one serving) are normally eaten first, as they are the fattiest area and must be eaten warm. The head is then eaten from the front to the back, working around the bones of the skull. The tongue and eye muscles are considered to be the best parts.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INFP

Potato Salad
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.