123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Should I Change My Username?

So simply put, I don't like my username. I haven't for a long time for a number of reasons and tired of it after like 2 months. That said, I've been here for a while and username changes are a bit jarring for a lot of people, I have just ignored it. The irritation has never completely gone away though, so I'm strongly leaning to changing it. That said, cause public opinion matters to me, I want to know if others would see it as a good idea or not. If a lot of people don't like the idea of it I won't want to change it. Thus a poll is attached.

The new usernames I am considering is "isoprene". I was trying to think of an alternate to this (an abbreviation) but have come up dry.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Showbread liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think if you've tried it out for awhile and you still don't like it, change it. Actually, I find avatar changes more jarring than name changes, for a short time. I like isoprene but I'm not sure about an abbreviation. Maybe you could use something made with/from isoprene.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

It's your username. If you don't like it, you have the right to change it. We'll get used to it.

I like Isoprene. I don't know how I'd shorten it, though. "Preeny"? Hee hee.

Yeah, just ignore me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I like Soft.

I am also very used to seeing Hard all the time. Isoprene? WTF is that? I won't remember that. You should make it a simple adjective. Tall. Short. Flat. Round. Spiky. Fluffy. Something simple. [Giving you a Hard time. hahaha]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes kyuuei, Showbread, highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Hard fits your posting style, which adds an extra flavor to your posts.

isoprene...meh
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I dunno.. I always thought it was fine.. but then again, i think most things are fine.

Isoprene is definitely different. Volatile liquid definitely matches your charm. I always thought the names should match in chemistry.. Isoprene sounds very serene (mostly because they rhyme), which I guess makes sense since it dissipates and transforms into the air, comes from plants, pretty serene stuff for a volatile liquid. And I think it matches the scientist in you. Is it your favorite molecule?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    It's your username. If you don't like it, you have the right to change it. We'll get used to it.

I like Isoprene. I don't know how I'd shorten it, though. "Preeny"? Hee hee.

Yeah, just ignore me.
    Hahahahaha.

For acronym I was referring to a chemical acronym. The two I came up with was TPAP (which I don't use enough for it to be relevant), and LDA (which is a ubiqutious reagent, but that lettering just doesn't "fit" so I ultimately ditched the idea all together.

The thing is though in this case what others think actually makes a lot to me. I know I can change it if I like, but that's not good enough stand alone for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I like Soft.

I am also very used to seeing Hard all the time. Isoprene? WTF is that? I won't remember that. You should make it a simple adjective. Tall. Short. Flat. Round. Spiky. Fluffy. Something simple. [Giving you a Hard time. hahaha]
    Haha. Lord knows you see my name pop up in the modbox way too much. One of the reasons I picked "Hard" was because it's a simple, easy to remember word. It's also efficient at capturing a part of myself. That's my main hesitancy with changing it; it's too ingrained for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Hard fits your posting style, which adds an extra flavor to your posts.

isoprene...meh
    And because of this, it fits me and how I'd new I'd evolve into on the forums over time.

At the same time, it's such a common word that it gets used in sentances all the time which feels like cheating. Aaaaand it's also taken as an innuendo (which I was oblivious to when I made it).

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I dunno.. I always thought it was fine.. but then again, i think most things are fine.

Isoprene is definitely different. Volatile liquid definitely matches your charm. I always thought the names should match in chemistry.. Isoprene sounds very serene (mostly because they rhyme), which I guess makes sense since it dissipates and transforms into the air, comes from plants, pretty serene stuff for a volatile liquid. And I think it matches the scientist in you. Is it your favorite molecule?
    Honestly I am not nearly as aggressive in person as I am on the forums. I can be (I have no qualms with it), and I am still very resolute and moralistic, but my friends describe me as "the most chilled high-strung person ever". Being aggressive is not my modus operandi. Hence, isoprene fits. It also sounds pretty to me.

As for significance, the molecules I am working on synthesizing for my PhD work are part of a class of compounds called "terpenes" (specefically a sesquiterpene and a diterpene). Isoprene is the principal building block fragment that all terpenes (and there are billions of them possible) are derived from when they are biosynthesized from. This includes all steroids (testosterone, estrogen), many many fragrent compounds found in plants like pinene, camphor, rose oxide, etc., and many anti-cancer compounds such as Taxol. Just to name a few anyway (though considering your background this is likely already somewhat familar).

EDIT: This is isoprene:

Wiki page
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    That's my main hesitancy with changing it; it's too ingrained for people.
    It's pretty ingrained for me. Sometimes I think of it even when I see you're name on FB. But, it's also your username. I'm sure we'll all adjust in time. Just don't change your profile picture at the same time!
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes Hard liked this post

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

@Hard My vote only counts as long as you capitalize the "I." Otherwise, no.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

Phenylalanine.