User Tag List

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default one hope to eat us all

It will end in the fluff zone and I risk my life for this, but what the heck.

This one is for you only:

YouTube - Star Trek Enterprise Intro

beer is on me the next round
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Enneagram
    1w2

Bon apetit!

Moved to fluff zone.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    It will end in the fluff zone and I risk my life for this, but what the heck.

This one is for you only:

YouTube - Star Trek Enterprise Intro

beer is on me the next round
    The best posts end up in the Fluff Zone.

But what I learnt from Star Trek was that light is incredibly, incredibly slow. For all intents and purposes the heavens are fixed in concrete.

To overcome this the Starship Enterprise has warp drive.

But the amount of energy to warp space to that degree would take the energy of a whole galaxy.

And as this is impossible in a small ship, I conclude Star Trek is not about space travel, it is about the voyages of Captain James Cook of the Endeavour.

Captain James Kirk of the Enterprise is really Captain James Cook of the Endeavour.

And the purpose of Captain Cook's voyage was to map the stars. In particular he mapped the transit of the Planet Venus across the face of the Sun.

But when he came to my country, he found the seasons were reversed, that day had turned into night, and the trees instead of shedding their leaves in winter, shed their bark in summer. And while fruit bats squeaked in the fig trees at night, Spock was heard to mutter, "This is England, but not as we know it".

And so they called the place, New South Wales.

So make mine a schooner of Toohey's New.

heart on fire

Default A Space-age Captain Horatio Hornblower

The Endeavor aside....

Kirk does not automatically equal Cook.

Captain Kirk's persona is a total spinoff on Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. who was a spinoff of Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, KB (right down to the seasickness Nelson suffered, but seasickness not sexy for Kirk on color TV!).

Rodenberry admitted Hornblower was a pivotal influence.

Nicholas Meyer, director of some of the Star Trek films, frequently cites Horatio Hornblower as one of his primary influences.

Horatio Hornblower - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

"space-age Captain Horatio Hornblower"

From Gene Roddenberry's original pitch for Star Trek

"suddenly began to think of it as the adventures of Horatio Hornblower in outer space. Once I got that, I said, okay, this about the Navy... this is about gunboat-diplomacy"

Director Nicholas Meyer speaking of his inability to relate to Star Trek in his audio commentary for the Director's Edition of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

The pivotal theme in Star Trek is a balance between loyaly serving a system with strict regulations/duty to others and remaining true to inner conscience and individuality. Kirk constantly steps outside of regulations, listening to his own inner conscience and creativity to come up with new ways to solve problems, despite his strong belief and sense of loyalty to the Federation and all it stands for. It is where the edge and conflict all comes from.

Kirk is also an archetype, the Emperor from the Tarot.

Christopher Pike shows the Hornblower traits more clearly,apparently between the original pilot and the series, the Captain had to be "sexied" up a bit... but Kirk still retains Hornblower's inner self questioning, strong sense of duty tempered by a deep humane streak and a sense of being ill at ease when outside the parameters of his service to the fleet.

The friendship between Kirk and Spock also has many comparisons to Hornblower and William Bush.

The whole serires took much inspiration from the Hornblower novels. Anyone who enjoyed Star Trek would love the Hornblower novels, the Movie and the A & E Series as well.

They would also love the Alexander Kent novels, a very ENFJish Captain Kirk spinoff in the Royal Navy at the time of the American Revolution.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Sounds intresting.

About the warp drive: no facts are proven yet.

And about James Cook, well then StarTrek proves to be a good alernative for the youth to learn about history xD. Kinda HAVE to shape it into something usefull *fg*
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]