User Tag List

Thread: Photosynth

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Photosynth

I just had to add this here - this is absolutely incredible.

Photosynth Prototype demo (must-see);
    Photosynth Prototype - CollegeHumor video

The actual photosynth site;
    Photosynth Technology Preview

The information revolution just keeps going...

MBTI
    ISFJ

I find it vaguely disturbing. Incredible, but vaguely disturbing.

I imagine one the 'legal issue' he mentioned is that nobody gave their consent for their photographs to appear in the other scenes?

Cheers for the link by the way
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    I find it vaguely disturbing. Incredible, but vaguely disturbing.

I imagine one the 'legal issue' he mentioned is that nobody gave their consent for their photographs to appear in the other scenes?

Cheers for the link by the way
    I think that's it... but the ones in the scenes he showed were taken from Flickr public photos, far as I know. Which makes it just that much more incredible.

I think the "larger" more impressive models they have are built from stuff like google images, but since that crawls websites there could be legal issues.

MBTI
    INTP

Microsoft have finally learned what innovation means.

The interesting thing is that this sort of application cannot really take off unless creative commons licensing becomes almost ubiquitous. I believe I believe that Microsoft currently owns the largest databases of stock photography in the world, so it makes sense that they should be heading in this direction.

It will be interesting to see how this interacts with the anti-terrorism laws regarding photographs of public infrastructure. Imagine getting a letter from the government because a picture of a friend had a bridge in the background.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Interesting..but pretty scary. Makes me feel kinda..unsafe. I would only use the map feature..honestly I couldn't find any personal use for the other functions. There are some things that I appreciate because they are not a part of cyberspace..
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    Microsoft have finally learned what innovation means.
    Ignoring that they bought the technology from another company, integrated its staff and what not... sure (All jokes aside, they did push what the company had originally done!)

The interesting thing is that this sort of application cannot really take off unless creative commons licensing becomes almost ubiquitous.
    I think that it would only influence the rate of growth, assuming they get sufficient material to work with in to get to critical mass. Less stringent copyright rules = more material = faster growth.

The nice thing about it is that it sucks any kind of photo - it doesn't need to be professional or tagged with a significant amount of metadata.

It will be interesting to see how this interacts with the anti-terrorism laws regarding photographs of public infrastructure. Imagine getting a letter from the government because a picture of a friend had a bridge in the background.
    That's the story right now... it's like the opposite of the luddites in the industrial revolution. Technology will push back, more and more... But the transition will be rough.

I'm more curious how privacy laws will be handled... Imagine this + street view in google maps!

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Interesting..but pretty scary. Makes me feel kinda..unsafe. I would only use the map feature..honestly I couldn't find any personal use for the other functions. There are some things that I appreciate because they are not a part of cyberspace..
    Interesting... I don't see it as too much as a personal issue... it is just taking what is already out there and recreating the object for you at home. If the pictures you want to keep private are private, they won't be captured.

(Scary to me is the link above - that, to me, could have more issues...)