Thread: today I learned:

Wallflower power! Array Punderstorm's Avatar
    MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Octopuses have 3 hearts and can regrow limbs.
    IxxP-Conscientious-Slytherin-Leisurely-Idiosyncratic-9w1-4w3-7w6-sp/so-LII-Ne

Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
    -J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Likes Tellenbach, EJCC liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Punderstorm View Post
    Octopuses have 3 hearts and can regrow limbs.

Octopuses are only (correct me if wrong) animals whoo can camouflage not only by colours but also by shape (because of special structure of their skin) .

And mimic octopuses can even freeze in position to remind different animal like snake and imitate how they move.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Likes Punderstorm, rxr liked this post

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

There a boy who doesn't know english (looks about 7) that always try to sell blue berrys to my INTJ friend. He would say "blue berrys, comprar blueberrys?". After asking him what blueberrys is in spanish today. We learn to him the translation for blue berrys= blue berrys para gringos. So what I learn today? the berry's my INTJ friend bought from him might not actually be blue berry's lol.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I read up on the history of pineapples.

When they were first brought to Europe they were considered an absolute luxury item and as soon as the first functioning hothouses (pineries) were constructed it became extremely fashionable emong the nobility and upper class to grow pineapples. They were first grown in the Netherlands and it was en vogue to have a Dutch gardener - it took 3 gardeners to continuously care for yoir pineapples! Their value was approximately that of a carriage. They were used for decoration at dinner parties but not eaten but rather reused several times until they started to rot.

They later did eat them of course, but it was still very much a prestige food.

As they became easier to grow more people could affford them but they remained too expensive for the hoipoloi. As late as the early 20th century the price of one pineapple equaled that of 20 loafs of bread. Only the introduction of canned fruit made them affordable.

The Earl of Dunmore even had a pineapple-shaped roof constructed for his hothouse:

Dunmore Pineapple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Z Buck McFate, Ghost, Falcarius, EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

@Red Herring I have a lot of friends who went to The College of William and Mary, and who therefore know a lot about Colonial Williamsburg -- apparently they're obsessed with the "hospitality pineapple" over there! Had no idea that was a thing until last year.

A Brief History of the Hospitality Pineapple | Apartment Therapy
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Red Herring liked this post

MBTI
    :}

Theres a family in thrkey that walks on all fours.

Humens are rven more amazing tsh Y thought!

Hard to stype. Back to bed- If I blah

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Art Garfunkel thinks the reason why Paul Simon broke up the duo was because Art was 9 inches taller.

We split up because Simon was too short, admits Garfunkel

However, Garfunkel himself believes that the 9in difference between himself and his fellow singer may have been critical in their split in 1970 as well as their friendship at school.

Asked whether he believed Simon might have had a “Napoleon complex” that drove him to try to outdo his taller partner, Garfunkel told TheSunday Telegraph: “I think you’re on to something. I would say so, yes.”
    How unfortunate.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Esperanto has a propaedeutic function.

That means it is not only considerably faster to learn than natural languages but studying Esperanto for one year and then French for three years will leave you with better French than studying French for four years. It significantly accelarates the acquisition of other languages to the point where you safe time if you first learn Esperanto.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes EJCC, Kas liked this post

3 mammals having more nerve cells than we do are elephants, whales and dauphins.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle