Thread: today I learned:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    I'm going to try this next time, but I doubt it will work as well as the picture.
    Yeah, me too haha.
    [Interviewer: "What was it like to be defined by being beautiful?"]
    Connelly: "It's uncomfortable to talk about - there's no way to come off right! If you say you are beautiful, you sound obnoxious, and if you deny it, doesn't that sound obnoxious?"
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Countries Compared by Agriculture > Agricultural machinery > Tractors > Per capita. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

Tractors per capita (per 1000 people) in 2003

1.Slovenia: 54.2
    2.Austria: 40.65
    3.Serbia and Montenegro: 40.01
    4.Estonia: 39.94
    5.Ireland: 38.79
    6.Iceland: 37.26
    7.Finland: 37.22
    8.Poland: 35.9
    9.Lithuania: 29.62
    10.Italy: 29.16
    . . .

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Weezer used to be good!

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Olm the Water King, Kas, Forever liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Weezer used to be good!

Emo album. Now the mainstream has ruined them.
    [Interviewer: "What was it like to be defined by being beautiful?"]
    Connelly: "It's uncomfortable to talk about - there's no way to come off right! If you say you are beautiful, you sound obnoxious, and if you deny it, doesn't that sound obnoxious?"
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I actually learned this on Thursday but forgot to post it then:

When you are an ESTJ on the phone with a bunch of uber-professional consultants, trying to be confident and professional, don't be the most confident and professional that you can possibly be. ESTJ medium-level confident and professional is maximum-level confident and professional to most people. Any more than that and you'll start hurting people's feelings.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Wind Up Rex, Red Herring liked this post

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Abnormal copper and zinc levels is associated with violent behavior. The correlation is so strong that one can determine with 90% accuracy whether someone is a criminal or not by looking at his body chemistry. (from Nutrient Power by William J. Walsh)
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    638 sp/so

I failed my physics test because I forgot that electric current was measured in amps.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

NOT LONG AGO, one of my relatives, our family’s unofficial historian, told me that she suspected another of our relations, long dead, of being at least part-Indian. Surprised, I asked why. She gave several reasons, but one of the most compelling clues was that she remembered our relative as being particularly dour and humourless.” As everyone knows,” she said, “Indians have no sense of humour.”

My relative is a good-hearted person who did not mean her comment to be taken as a slur. She was merely stating what she took to be a fact: Indians have no sense of humour.

I used to know this “fact” myself. One of the earliest cartoons I can remember depicts the Lone Ranger and Tonto surrounded by hostile Indians. The Lone Ranger turns to his faithful companion and says something like, “It looks like we’re done for, Tonto.” To which Tonto responds, “What do you mean we, White Man?”

That cartoon was a shock to me, which is presumably why I recall it all these years later. First of all it was a shock because I had always assumed that Tonto was one of Us. Now I had to recognize the obvious, that in fact he was one of Them. The world was a less comfortable place than I had imagined.

But just as importantly, the cartoon is shocking because in it Tonto cracks a joke. It violates one of the most common stereo-types non-Natives have about Indians. They are considered stern, emotionless, stoical. We believe that they don’t have a sense of humour.

The cigar store wooden Indian is the prototype for this image. It has been around for hundreds of years, and refers to the association between Native North Americans and tobacco, a product which originated in the New World. But long since, the wooden Indian has come to represent certain ’truths’ about Indians. On the negative side, the wooden-Indian stereotype suggests a lack of emotional range, a failure of feeling. Indians are made of wood, this stereotype tells us; they do not experience emotions with the same sensitivity that a non-Native person does. On the positive side, this stereotype says that Indians do not wear their hearts on their sleeves; they do not reveal their emotions capriciously. They suffer injustice with a stoic resignation. They say little, but feel deeply. On the surface we might think they appear apathetic, even dull-witted, but inside we are convinced that they contain all the world’s wisdom. Once again the Imaginary Indian is almost anything Whites want it to be.

The wooden Indian is an artifact of the image-makers. Once the artists and writers who had been to Indian Country reported back with news of what they had seen, others began shaping and reshaping the images, presenting them to the public as authentic representations of what the Indian was really like. This is how non-Native Canadians came to know the Indian: in books, in public performance, at country fairs, in museums and schoolrooms, at summer camp and in the movies. There were very few places, in fact, that Canadians did not encounter someone who was ready to tell them exactly what an Indian was.
    Francis, Daniel (2012-04-17). The Imaginary Indian: The Image of the Indian in Canadian Culture (pp. 82-83). Arsenal Pulp Press.
    Likes Rico liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Political cartoon from the period of the Great Game showing the Afghan Amir Sher Ali with his "friends" Imperial Russia and the United Kingdom (1878)

Likes EJCC liked this post