User Tag List

Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: today I learned:

Human Grumpy Cat Array senza tema's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Today, I learned the word "moonbat" and its meaning. And I found it marvelously evocative.
    Likes Olm the Water King liked this post

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_sworn_virgins

Balkan sworn virgins

Balkan sworn virgins (Albanian: burrnesha or Albanian: virgjinesha) are women who take a vow of chastity and wear male clothing in order to live as men in the patriarchal northern Albanian society. To a lesser extent, the practice exists, or has existed, in other parts of the western Balkans, including Kosovo, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro,[1][2] Dalmatian hinterland (Croatia) and Bosnia. National Geographic's Taboo estimated that there are fewer than 102 sworn virgins in the world.[3]

Other terms for the sworn virgin include vajzë e betuar (most common today, and used in situations in which the parents make the decision when the girl is a baby or child), mashkull (present-day, used around Shkodra), virgjineshë, virgjereshë, verginesa, virgjin, vergjinesha, Albanian virgin, avowed virgin, мушкобања (muškobanja), мушкара (muškara) (Serbian: man-woman or manlike), остајница (ostajnica) (Serbian: she who stays), tombelija, basa, harambasa (Montenegrin), tobelija (Bosnian: bound by a vow), zavjetovana djevojka (Croatian), sadik (Stahl, Turk Moslem: honest, just).[4]

Origins

The tradition of sworn virgins developed out of the Kanuni i Lekë Dukagjinit (English: The Code of Lekë Dukagjini, or simply the Kanun),[5] a set of codes and laws developed by Lekë Dukagjini and used mostly in northern Albania and Kosovo from the 15th century until the 20th century. The Kanun is not a religious document – many groups follow it, including Roman Catholics, the Albanian Orthodox, and Muslims.[6]

The Kanun dictates that families must be patrilineal (meaning wealth is inherited through a family's men) and patrilocal (upon marriage, a woman moves into the household of her husband's family).[7] Women are treated like property of the family. Under the Kanun women are stripped of many human rights. They cannot smoke, wear a watch, or vote in their local elections. They cannot buy land, and there are many jobs they are not permitted to hold. There are even establishments that they cannot enter.[6][8]

The practice of sworn virginhood was first reported by missionaries, travelers, geographers and anthropologists who visited the mountains of northern Albania in the 19th and early 20th centuries.[9]

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Octopus blood uses copper to bind oxygen, not iron; they can taste substances with their suckers. - from "The soul of an octopus"
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.
    Likes Olm the Water King liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

The DSM description of SPD is misleading. This is a lot more accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizo...ogical_profile

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post
    The DSM description of SPD is misleading. This is a lot more accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizo...ogical_profile
    I was under the impression the DSM removed SPD? Or did they roll it in to something else? How do the descriptions differ?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I was under the impression the DSM removed SPD? Or did they roll it in to something else? How do the descriptions differ?
    Hmm, I don't think so. The main change in personality disorder classification is this: "Personality disorder previously belonged to a different axis than almost all other disorders, but is now in one axis with all mental and other medical diagnoses.[26] However, the same ten types of personality disorder are retained."

Anyway, the main problem with the SPD description is that it doesn't adequately encompass covert symptoms.

Hmm, I don't think so. The main change in personality disorder classification is this: "Personality disorder previously belonged to a different axis than almost all other disorders, but is now in one axis with all mental and other medical diagnoses.[26] However, the same ten types of personality disorder are retained."

Anyway, the main problem with the SPD description is that it doesn't adequately encompass covert symptoms.
    It seems like the covert symptoms are entirely unrelated to be honest. I've always associated SPD with non-interest; the covert descriptions indicate a warped, perhaps eccentric interest. The description just sounds like any person with a kink.

What's the commonality then, of overt and covert schizoids?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

It seems like the covert symptoms are entirely unrelated to be honest. I've always associated SPD with non-interest; the covert descriptions indicate a warped, perhaps eccentric interest. The description just sounds like any person with a kink.

What's the commonality then, of overt and covert schizoids?
    That's not what I meant. The overt and covert traits coexist in the same person:

Salman Akhtar, M.D.[19] provided a comprehensive phenomenological profile of Schizoid Personality Disorder in which classic and contemporary descriptive views are synthesized with psychoanalytic observations. This profile is summarized in the table reproduced below that lists clinical features that involve six areas of psychosocial functioning and are organized by "overt" and "covert" manifestations. Dr. Akhtar states that "these designations do not imply conscious or unconscious but denote seemingly contradictory aspects that are phenomenologically more or less easily discernible," and that "this manner of organizing symptomology emphasizes the centrality of splitting and identity confusion in schizoid personality."[19]

That's not what I meant. The overt and covert traits coexist in the same person:
    Oh...

*looks at list*

Well, shit.

I was under the impression the DSM removed SPD?
    I heard they wanted to remove it in DSM5, but finally they didn't.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle