failed poetry slam career Array chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    In Germany The Count is known as Graf Zahl (Graf being a title of nobility equaling that of a count and Zahl meaning number) because the pun doesn't translate into German.

There is no right or wrong way to pronounce Thalys (a European highspeed train like the one the recent terror attack took place in) because it is a logatome (pseudoword or fantasy word) designed to be easily pronounceable in French, Dutch and German.
    Glad I travelled on the Thalys before that happened.

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

that bedazzling your vagina is a thing and it's calld vajazzaling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajazzle

which for some reason i find hilarous and delightful.
    by @magpie
    Likes Masokissed, 93JC liked this post

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Girl used to mean 'a child or young person of either sex'.

Silly used to mean 'worthy or blessed'.

Bully used to mean 'a good fellow or a darling'.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

What I already knew:

The German word for biscuit is "Keks", which is German phonetic spelling for "cakes".

What I learned today:

The most puplar butter biscuits in Germany contain references to both a German philosopher and anciet Egypt.

The 'inventor' of the Keks, Hermann Bahlen, got to know 'cakes' during his stay in England and decided to manufacture them in Germany. He altered the spelling from cakes to 'Keks' because Germans would get the pronunciation wrong.

The most famous German biscuit, the "Leibniz Butterkeks", is also produced by Bahlsen. The name of Leibniz is in honor of the German philisopher Wilhelm Leibniz, who was also from Hanover and found zwieback to be a suitable, durable army provision.

The logo of the company manufacturing Leibniz biscuits contains the Egyptian hieroglyph "TET" with the corresponding snake in a cartouche beneath it, meaning "everlasting", a nod to the biscuits' durability.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

America's youngest female billionaire is Lynsi Torres, owner of the In-N-Out Burger franchises and the granddaughter of the founders. In-N-Out's cheeseburger recipe has remained unchanged since 1948.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Americans are largely responsible for the popularity of Ramen noodle houses in Japan. After WW2, the USA supplied lots of wheat flour to Japan and many ex-soldiers used that wheat flour to make noodles.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.
    Likes Pinker85 liked this post

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH Array Mademoiselle's Avatar
    MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

For every story has two sides, you should understand them both to know the truth.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    ||||||||||||
    …Order >> Chaos >> Order
    ————
    Likes Pinker85 liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP

John (Garfields owner) had a crush on Liz (Garfields vet) for many years. John for years was depicted as unsuccessful with woman (he first appeared in the cartoon in 1979) due to his geekiness and social awkwardness, then in 2006 he and Liz kissed and now they are together. Also a side story, my cousin is a pretty well-known poet, his current wife had a crush on him for years, then one day she asked him to come speak at the school she teaches at, the stars aligned and they fell in love. Also one of my friends, he's now in his early 40s, wasn't sure if he'd ever meet the right one ... just last year he got married to the girl of his dreams! I know a lot of stories like this! So keep the faith!!
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

In 1853, American warships entered the Japanese port of Yokohama and forced Japan to open its doors to trade. This led to an industrial revolution in Japan and more importantly to the introduction of meat in Japanese cuisine. Before this, the Japanese had been forbidden to eat meat for a millenium due to some Buddhist edict. (Japanese Soul Cooking - Tadashi Ono and Harris Salat)

So if you enjoy tempura, ramen, or gyoza (dumplings), thank an American.