MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Mention America more damnit.
    55 years ago today: 1960 – Cuban Revolution: Cuba nationalizes American and foreign-owned property in the nation.

Also, it's 70 years since Little Boy.

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

OK, I didn't learn this today, but I wanted to share this info I gleaned from about Jack White from Wikipedia:

John Anthony Gillis[5] was born in Detroit, Michigan, the youngest of ten children—and the seventh son—of Teresa (née Bandyk) and Gorman M. Gillis.[6][7] His mother's family was Polish,[8] while his father was of Scottish-Canadian descent.[9][10] He was raised a Catholic,[11] and his father and mother both worked for the Archdiocese of Detroit (as the Building Maintenance Superintendent and secretary in the Cardinal's office, respectively).[3] Gillis became an altar boy, which landed him an uncredited role in the 1987 movie The Rosary Murders, filmed mainly at Holy Redeemer parish in southwest Detroit.[3]

Gillis' early musical influences were inherited from his older brothers, and he learned to play the instruments they abandoned;[12][13] he began playing the drums in the first grade after finding a kit in the attic.[6][13][14] As a child, he was a fan of classical music,[15] but in elementary school, he began listening to the Doors, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin.[16] As a "shorthaired [teenager] with braces,"[15] Gillis began listening to the blues and 1960s rock that would influence him in The White Stripes,[3] with Son House and Blind Willie McTell being among his favorite blues guitarists.[2][17] He has said in interviews that Son House's "Grinnin' In Your Face" is his favorite song of all time.[12][18] As a drummer, his heroes include Gene Krupa, Stewart Copeland, and Crow Smith from Flat Duo Jets.[19]

In 2005 on 60 Minutes, he told Mike Wallace that his life could have turned out differently. "I'd got accepted to a seminary in Wisconsin, and I was gonna become a priest, but at the last second I thought, 'I'll just go to public school.' I had just gotten a new amplifier in my bedroom, and I didn't think I was allowed to take it with me."[20] Instead, he got accepted into the famed Cass Technical High School as a business major, and played the drums and trombone in the band.[12][21][22] At 15, he began a three-year upholstery apprenticeship with a family friend, Brian Muldoon.[3] He credits Muldoon with exposing him to punk music as they worked together in the shop.[3][12] Muldoon goaded his young apprentice into forming a band: "He played drums", Gillis thought. "Well I guess I'll play guitar then."[3][23] The two recorded an album, Makers of High Grade Suites, as the Upholsterers.

As a senior in high school, he met Megan White at the Memphis Smoke restaurant where she worked,[24] and they frequented the coffee shops, local music venues, and record stores of the area.[25] After a courtship, they got married on September 21, 1996.[26][27] In a reversal of tradition, he took her last name.[3][28][29]

After completing his apprenticeship, he started a one-man business of his own, Third Man Upholstery.[30] The slogan of his business was "Your Furniture's Not Dead" and the color scheme was yellow and black—including a yellow van, a yellow-and-black uniform, and a yellow clipboard.[30] Although Third Man Upholstery never lacked business, he claims it was unprofitable due to his complacency about money and his business practices that were perceived as unprofessional, including making bills out in crayon and writing poetry inside the furniture.[30]
    Apparently, he's pretty clean cut and he only smokes cigarettes. They continued playing in the same band after they got divorced. I suspect the duo split up because Meg was uncomfortable with the level of fame they had achieved; Jack probably wanted to continue.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Aubrey Plaza is the voice of Eska in The Legend of Korra series; it sounded like her but I wasn't expecting it. Also, Anne Heche is in this as well.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

95 years ago today: Ottoman sultan Mehmed VI's representatives sign the Treaty of Sèvres that divides up the Ottoman Empire between the Allies.

Likes Osprey liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Can any animal or fish resist the slashing razor-sharp teeth of these miniature buzz saws? It turns out, the Arapaima gigas fish is covered with scales that make it piranha-proof. And soon, humans wearing body armor inspired by the Arapaima will be bullet-, blade- and piranha-proof too.
    Piranha-Proof Fish Inspires Bulletproof Armor

Probably zombie proof as well.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell claims she has Morgellons Disease. This is a skin condition that causes intense itching and is often accompanied by strange fibers growing out of a lesion. Yikes!

My guess: military self-assembling nanotech that escaped from a lab someplace.

I think I'd rather have ebola.
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP

The roaches in your kitchen live two years. I think I will mark and release a few so I can celebrate their birthdays in a year
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

On the Faroe Islands some inhabitants still practice the age old tradition of throwing clumps of sod at seagulls on cliffs to draw out their defensive vomit reflex before they steal their eggs.

breaking out of my cocoon Array SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I learned that there are three levels of stress

1. Ugh, that sort of bothers me, I am leaving
    2. Fight or flight
    3. Unconsciousness, where all the fears live and everything is a fantasy

Damn, I see level 3 too often in my kids.....and my wife
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

The city of Barcelona possibly derives its name from Hamilcar Barca, Hannibal's father.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-