Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: today I learned:

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I learned that a great way to find new music is to find all the artists that Led Zeppelin copied but never credited. They had good taste and bad manners.

If Led Zepplin copied from blues artists, they should have definitely credited them or at least acknowledged their debt to them in some way.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!
    Likes Qlip, Anaximander liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    If Led Zepplin copied from blues artists, they should have definitely credited them or at least acknowledged their debt to them in some way.
    I agree, but they were notorious for not doing that. It's disappointing for me, I've always liked their sound, but I now tend to think of them more as re-mixers like Girl Talk.

To get some perspective, almost everybody was playing each other's music back then. I think there was more of an idea that popular music was free to interpret. It's a bit hard to stick with that when you have made millions of dollars off of other people's riffs and songs and are stingy with your own song rights.

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I agree, but they were notorious for not doing that. It's disappointing for me, I've always liked their sound, but I now tend to think of them more as re-mixers like Girl Talk.
    I regrettably don't know enough about the blues to know who specifically they copied them, but if you listen to Robert Johnson (as one example), and concentrate on the guitar, and ignore the electric/vs acoustic distinction, you can definitely hear how they were influenced by the blues.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    I regrettably don't know enough about the blues to know who specifically they copied them, but if you listen to Robert Johnson (as one example), and concentrate on the guitar, and ignore the electric/vs acoustic distinction, you can definitely hear how they were influenced by the blues.
    They weren't so much influenced by the blues, they played the blues, heavy and British. Not just the blues, though, check out that song I posted in my original link. That's a traditional English folk song arranged and played by Burt Jansch before LZ.

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

On June 14 1937, the US House of Representatives passed the so-called Marihuana Tax Act, effectively making possession of cannabis illegal throughout the US.

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The River Thames fermented and stunk up the city of London from all the crap and garbage dumped into it.

The Great Stink

For centuries, England’s most famous river played the role of dumping ground for all of London’s various wastes—human, animal, and industrial. As the population of London grew from a tiny Roman fort into a large, metropolitan city, the amount of waste it produced expanded exponentially.
    It's important to thumbs down all your favorite Youtube videos. You don't want these artists to get big heads and start producing subpar material.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I happened to be in a situation where I did not have a family dinner on xmas day itself and was very thankful the local chinese place was open and bustling thanks to jewish customers.

I even got a neat chinese calendar as a gift.
    Chinese is our Christmas Eve meal every year. It's one of my favorite Christmas traditions.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Olm the Water King liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

70 years ago today: June 18 1945 – William Joyce ("Lord Haw-Haw") is charged with treason for his pro-German propaganda broadcasting during World War II.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

140 years ago today, the Herzegovina Uprising began.