User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Default Fortune Cookie Wisdom

"Do not begin something until you have considered what it is to be finished."

I love how the format enforces a degree of elegance.

What terse, sagely advice are you fond of?
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

"do not eat this cookie"
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I'm a fan of cookie fortunes too. I like that they usually say something positive. Here's my newest one - "Your present plans are going to succeed."
    That's kind of encouraging.

Here's my collection of cookie fortunes (and other stuff):

Yesterday, I was looking at a Chinese food menu on the internet. I mentioned to my SO that Chinese menus are usually scattered and more strenuous to read than other menus (at least imo). And he had recently learned, as part of his work, that Asians prefer info presented like that. He couldn't tell me which Asians or why, but it's still neat to know.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    TiNi
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so

I dislike fortune cookies. Then again, I'm not much of an optimist..
    Upon reading one of those paper slips I go through a bunch of "but what if" exceptions/qualifiers that, in my mind, create enough reasonable doubt that I can no longer appreciate the fortune in its simplicity.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Occasionally I save a fortune I get.

I have one taped to my monitor here at work: "Be direct, usually one can accomplish more that way." That's good advice for a terminal-case INP and I wanted to remind myself of it regularly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Glint View Post
    I dislike fortune cookies. Then again, I'm not much of an optimist..
    Upon reading one of those paper slips I go through a bunch of "but what if" exceptions/qualifiers that, in my mind, create enough reasonable doubt that I can no longer appreciate the fortune in its simplicity.
    I like the whimsy of deciding something based on a fortune, but over-thinking destroys that. I hate that I over-think so many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Occasionally I save a fortune I get.
    I save nearly all mine, even the duds. I had one that said "a carrot a day keeps the dentist away." So, its nutrition advice out of a cookie after eating a bunch of crap. It was annoying, so I trashed it. But the extra shittyness of it is sort of special, so I wish I'd saved it.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

*steeples fingers*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

on my bedside table: "past experience: he who never makes mistakes never did anything that's worthy."

wise and self-serving. beautiful.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    I'm a fan of cookie fortunes too. I like that they usually say something positive. Here's my newest one - "Your present plans are going to succeed."
    That's kind of encouraging.

Here's my collection of cookie fortunes (and other stuff):

Yesterday, I was looking at a Chinese food menu on the internet. I mentioned to my SO that Chinese menus are usually scattered and more strenuous to read than other menus (at least imo). And he had recently learned, as part of his work, that Asians prefer info presented like that. He couldn't tell me which Asians or why, but it's still neat to know.
    That's funny. I usually like Chinese food menus better because it's a whole lot of condensed information that I can just separate myself, instead of someone else making a whole bunch of separations that I have to page through and go back and forth between that don't necessarily have anything to do with the way I'm thinking about deciding on my food.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    That's funny. I usually like Chinese food menus better because it's a whole lot of condensed information that I can just separate myself, instead of someone else making a whole bunch of separations that I have to page through and go back and forth between that don't necessarily have anything to do with the way I'm thinking about deciding on my food.
    Perhaps my experiences are due to region and personal taste. My SO likes nasty Chinese take-out and he's found the exact same junk in the Midwest that he was eating in Southern states. The restaurants had different names though, so I had been hopeful that it was different.

On Sunday, he asked me to order Sweet and Sour chicken. There were three categories it could be under - "chicken," "sweet and sour," and "combo platter." There's no sweet and sour chicken under "chicken." The sweet and sour chicken under "sweet and sour" is a baked, and under the "combo platter," there's also sweet and sour chicken and it is like chicken nuggets. You just have to know this when you order because there's no description anywhere, other than that they both come with rice.

Anyways, that's my typical experience ordering Chinese take-out.