123 Last

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Default League of Heroes: Hawaiian Edition (Application Thread)

INTRODUCTION

Welcome to the land of sun, sand, and supers! That's right, supers! This game takes place in the state of Hawaii, 30 years ago today (1984). Will you join the League of Allied Super Humanitarians [LASH, Lawful Good], the Syndicate of Innovative Supers [SIS, Lawful Evil], or risk going without training and be unaffiliated [Not recommended, Chaotic Neutral]?

RULES

On the 1st of every month, you will receive 150,000 Power Points (100,000 if unaffiliated) which will not roll over. The concept behind this is that your player has had time to rest and can hit harder than ever before. You have 12 points at to allocate among your base stats, but there are artifacts hidden around the island chain that can grant bonuses to your base stats (left behind by an ancient civilization named the Zookies, no less), and the leagues fight for these as well as for money [SIS], Power [SIS], and aiding others [LASH] Passive powers are always defensive or regenerative or are a minor buff, do not cost power points, and are always in effect when trigger is present (for better or worse). Active powers are the opposite of passive powers and their cost is directly proportional to how powerful they are in relation to your base attack. If an Active power were to deal EXACTLY the same damage as your base attack, it would deal 100 pp (or app), whereas an active power that deals 1.5 times your base attack will cost 150 pp (or app). A power cannot cost more than 1500 pp or less than 50 pp. An active power that relates to an NPC or Player's weakness or that is dealt while the target NPC or player is in a circumstance that relates this weakness (known as an attack of opportunity) will deal 10 times damage and an active power countered by a passive power will deal 1/10th damage. If your HP drops below 50%, your attack power and defense are also halved, and your character will be compelled to want to flee. To flee, you need to roll a 6 or higher on a 1d10. Regular Human HP is 1,000 with a base attack of 10 and no defense. You have the option of a single, non-superpowered sidekick/henchman to take with you on your travels. You can regenerate Auxiliary Power Points (app) by engaging your auxiliary power source (a solar-themed character might sunbathe, an aquatic-themed character might relax in a lake, a food-themed character might eat gobs of cake, a mystical-themed character might meditate). Your character must wait 50 minutes to reenter the game when recharging app (if league member) or 250 minutes (non-member). Godgaming is not allowed. Have fun!

I will roll for you with this website.

BACKSTORY

Back in the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's (50-10 years ago in this game), the Soviet Union sent undercover scientists to Hawaii to secretely and discreetly experiment on youth. They would slip a super serum into their food, not fully knowing what it would do to them. They tracked the children who showed changes, some died, and some became supers, though usually several years later. I got the idea from a similar experiment from the 1930s the SU did trying to make chimpanzee's and humans smarter and stronger by trying to breed them (DNA wasn't discovered yet) and how they avoided using their own citizens, instead using kidnapped members of some African tribe.

ACCEPTED ACTIVE POWERS (NOT AN EXCLUSIVE LIST)
    Heat Vision 50-1500 pp
    Firebreath 50-1500 pp
    Icebreath 50-1500 pp
    Shoot Energy Orb from Hands 50-1500 pp
    Phase through objects/intangibility/no damage dealt (with limitations) 50 pp
    Phase through objects/intangibility/no damage dealt (without limitations) 250 pp
    HP regeneration (cost treated like attack, only negative and directed at self) 50-1500 pp
    Telekinesis (cost 5 pp per 1 pound you can move with your mind, and cost is repeated every post it is active [be sure to always set down what you pick up by the end of the post!]) 50-1500 pp
    Untriggered, voluntary superspeed (Cost related to how much faster than normal you go, 100 being normal. Cost repeated for every post you are going at super speed, regardless of distance traveled.) 125-1500 pp
    Levitate (Same as telekinesis, but only costs 1 pp per 1 pound of your personal body weight per turn. Cost repeated for every post you remain off of the ground.) (Body weight) pp
    Untriggered Superstrength (Same as telekinesis, but only 1 pp per 10 pounds you can exert/lift. Cost repeated as long as you carry the object or keep appling crushing force.) 50-1500 pp

ACCEPTED PASSIVE POWERS (NOT AN EXCLUSIVE LIST)
    Damage reduction (up to 90%, and dependent on whether a certain circumstance is being fulfilled, such as a character standing in water or sunlight)
    Triggered Super speed (Up to 1000 times normal, but based on whether a certain circumstance is being fulfilled, such as a character standing in water or sunlight)
    Triggered HP regeneration (Set at 1,000 HP per post, but based on whether a certain circumstance is being fulfilled, such as a character standing in water or sunlight)
    Triggered Super strength (Set at a maximum of 20 tons, but based on whether a certain circumstance is being fulfilled, such as a character standing in water or sunlight)

APPLICATION

Name:
    Superhero/Supervillain Name:
    Religious Affiliation (If any):
    Home Planet:
    Favorite Food (If applicable):
    Favorite Animal:
    Mother's Name (If applicable, as some players might be robots or animals):
    Father's Name (If applicable):
    Spouse Name (If applicable)
    # of Children:
    Sexual Orientation (If applicable):
    Blood Type:
    Weight:
    Biological Gender (If applicable):
    Chosen Gender (If applicable):
    Species:
    League (LASH or SIS):
    Alignment (Must be within one step of League):
    Personality:
    Appearance (Normal):
    Appearance (Superhero/Supervillian):
    Weakness:
    Text Color:
    Sidekick/Henchman (optional):
    Powers (Pick two PASSIVE, three ACTIVE. List active power cost, passive trigger):
    Auxiliary power source (Refill rate set at 10 app/min for league members and 1 app/min for non-members, caps at 500 app for league members and 250 app for unaffiliated):
    Bio:

You get 12 points to spend on Stats X, Y, and Z.

HP (20,000 + [10,000*X]), X=
    ATTACK ([12-Y] + Yd10), Y=
    DEFENCE ([12-Z] + Zd10) Z=
    Last edited by The Wailing Specter; 09-17-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan
    Likes AphroditeGoneAwry liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

APPLICATION

Name: Lewis Clark
    Superhero/Supervillain Name: Solaris
    Religious Affiliation (If any): None
    Home Planet: Earth
    Favorite Food (If applicable): Pepperoni Pizza
    Favorite Animal: Falcon
    Mother's Name (If applicable, as some players might be robots or animals): Marie Clark
    Father's Name (If applicable): John Clark
    Spouse Name (If applicable): Linda Clark
    # of Children: 1
    Sexual Orientation (If applicable): Straight
    Blood Type: AB+
    Height: 6 feet, 6 inches
    Weight: 200 lbs.
    Biological Gender (If applicable): Male
    Chosen Gender (If applicable): Male
    Species: Human
    League (LASH or SIS): SIS
    Alignment (Must be within one step of League): Neutral Evil
    Personality: Very charismatic and friendly on the surface, Lewis usually has some plan brewing beneath the surface. He will lie, cheat, and steal, but never while engaged in his secret identity (at least in the open). Indeed, it takes the mask of anonymity for his true colors to show!
    Appearance (Normal): Tall, tan, swarthy Caucasian man with black hair and brown eyes. Muscular build. Straight, white teeth. Clean shaven. Likes to wear bright colors, short sleeve shirts, shorts, and sandals everywhere.
    Appearance (Superhero/Supervillian): Silver mask (has voice changer built in), Gold 1-peice spandex suit with silver zipper in back. Silver boots, silver gloves. Silver belt.
    Weakness: Darkness/Shadows
    Text Color: Red
    Sidekick/Henchman (optional): Tom Clark -- 25 year old son who did not inherit the power of the sun.
    Powers (Pick two PASSIVE, three ACTIVE. List active power cost, passive trigger):

Passive
    Name: Sun Block
    Trigger: Sunlight (or artificial light, but only for half effect)
    Effect: Damage reduction (see rules)

Passive
    Name: Light Speed
    Trigger: Sunlight (or artificial light, but only for one-tenth effect)
    Effect: All movement speed is increased by a factor of 1000

Active
    Name: Sun Beam
    Cost: 1,500 pp
    Effect: Lewis shoots a beam of intense sunlight from his eyes (through the eye slits in his mask, though the mask not being worn will not hinder him) that can seriously burn an opponent.

Active
    Name: Through The Looking Glass
    Cost: 50 pp
    Effect: Lewis can pass through transparent and translucent objects as if they were not there and Lewis can funnel his form through any aperture/gap. If light can enter, so can Lewis. Though Active, this does not cause damage.

Active
    Name: Blinding Flash
    Cost: 250 pp
    Effect: Creates bright flash of light that blinds all open eyes and slightly sears everything (and everyone) in sight.

Auxiliary power source (Refill rate set at 10 app/min for league members and 1 app/min for non-members, caps at 500 app for league members and 250 app for unaffiliated):Sunlight
    Bio: Raised in Hilo, Lewis discovered his light based abilities at the age of 12. Lewis was picked on in high school for being a nerd and being overly sensitive. One day, Lewis snapped and Solaris was born. Lewis ordered the materials for his suit in a catalogue, and went to his bullies' homes one day. Lewis learned that day the best way to solve his problems, and his blind, sunburned bullies never bothered him again. One day, Lewis met Linda, and as Hawaii became a state, they married. Not long after, they had a son who Lewis loved dearly. Yes, even evil people can love. Tragedy struck in 1964 when Linda tragically died of skin cancer. Lewis got his first job at 25 as a Pharmacy Technician, and Linda, a truly ambitious woman, started a private investigation company which became very successful. Struggling to keep up his standard of living without Linda, Lewis donned his alter-ego, Solaris, and began robbing banks when not behind the pharmacy counter so he could keep up the life his son and himself had.

You get 12 points to spend on Stats X, Y, and Z.

HP (20,000 + [10,000*X]), X= 4 (60,000 MAX HP)
    ATTACK ([12-Y] + Yd10), Y= 4 (8 + 4d10 ATK)
    DEFENCE ([12-Z] + Zd10) Z= 4 (8 + 4d10 DEF)
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

There will be another thread for the actual game…
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I've never played anything like this before- and I'm afraid the details are too much for me. But I just might give it a try to expand my horizons...
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Sounds interesting, but I agree that the details are complex! I will try to make a character. Might need a little time!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AzulEyes View Post
    I've never played anything like this before- and I'm afraid the details are too much for me. But I just might give it a try to expand my horizons...
    Great! I'm looking forward to it!
    @skylights, what kind of hero do you have in mind?
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Great! I'm looking forward to it!
    @skylights, what kind of hero do you have in mind?
    I have no idea, to be honest. I have never really done this sort of thing before. I am not sure I really understand the game. What is the end goal? What does gameplay look like? How do I know what traits are advantageous or disadvantageous? Is there some kind of background story?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I have no idea, to be honest. I have never really done this sort of thing before. I am not sure I really understand the game. What is the end goal? What does gameplay look like? How do I know what traits are advantageous or disadvantageous? Is there some kind of background story?
    End goal (main/sidequests): The game itself never really ends, as it is based on cooperative storytelling and there can always be the two or three creative types who keep things going. However, an important side quest is making sure your league has as many Zookian artifacts as possible at their disposal. There are at least 20 of them, and only Magic Qwan, keeper of all knowedge, knows where they are. Magic Qwan's characters are even kept in the dark…no pun intented!

Advantageous/Disadvantageous traits: This is based almost entirely on circumstance. Darkness/Shadow based superpowers will deal 10 times as much damage if played against Lewis Clark, and Sunlight-based attacks will deal 1/10th damage. A power costing 100 points will deal the same amout of damahe as your base attack (kicking, punching), a cost of 50 will deal half the damage of your base attack, and a cost of 200 will deal twice the damage of your base attack.

Gameplay: The gameplay will be just like a story written in shifting perspective style. When a battle between 2 players or between a player a monster takes place, you will disclose your attack role inside a spoiler, being honest (You are on the honor system to not cheat, though if I suspect you of cheating, I will roll for you, which will slow you down. You don't want that.). Excessive blood and gore will get you banned from the game, as this is supposed to be a superhero game, not a horror story. This game will be played over several months, with the pace speeding up at the first of the month and slowing down towards the end of the month.

Backstory: I forgot to put this, but back in the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's (50-10 years ago in this game), the Soviet Union sent undercover scientists to Hawaii to secretely and discreetly experiment on youth. They would slip a super serum into their food, not fully knowing what it would do to them. They tracked the children who showed changes, some died, some became supers, though usually several years later. I got the idea from a similar experiment from the 1930s the SU did trying to make chimpanzee's and humans smarter and stronger by trying to breed them (DNA wasn't discovered yet) and how they avoided using their own citizens, instead using kidnapped members of some african tribe.

I am really just making the game up as I go along. The game I based this one on was far less complex and sandboxy.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

'ullo,

Where's all the details of how the powers work, what powers can be selected, etc etc etc?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    'ullo,

Where's all the details of how the powers work, what powers can be selected, etc etc etc?
    Now, those are in the rules, but I'll recap:

You can select any power that does not cause massive destruction, invincibility (especially never-ending invincibility), and clairvoyance and the like are frowned upon, as that creates the potential for godmodding. To use an active power, state you are using that power and the power's cost, roll your Attack dice, and use your damage multiplier. The rest is just a big story chain.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan