User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Ha! Probably not the best idea if you're in a social situation where you actually have to impress people, but I've been tempted to do that in places where you're generally expected to be left alone. On the bus is the worst. I'll just say "mm-hmm" or "yeah" a few times and not make eye contact, kind of doing what @Hard suggested -- if that doesn't work, I put my headphones in.
    I love bus conversations.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I love bus conversations.
    I have to be in the right mood for them. And/or the person can't be boring or crazy. Was waiting for the bus with one woman who kept trying to have the same conversation with me over and over again. Was interesting for the first few minutes and I enjoyed talking with her, but then she wouldn't stop repeating the same goddamn points. That's when I started to tune her out.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    yupp

I have to be in the right mood for them. And/or the person can't be boring or crazy. Was waiting for the bus with one woman who kept trying to have the same conversation with me over and over again. Was interesting for the first few minutes and I enjoyed talking with her, but then she wouldn't stop repeating the same goddamn points. That's when I started to tune her out.
    ok yeah, good point. But I say that because I like giving people a chance. if someone talks to me, I'll have a conversation it's awesome actually. I don't start them, but I have had situations where I've been really uncomftable though
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

ok yeah, good point. But I say that because I like giving people a chance. if someone talks to me, I'll have a conversation it's awesome actually. I don't start them, but I have had situations where I've been really uncomftable though
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    So, a baptism. Aside from the obvious smile and approach, you can start with, "Wasn't the service lovely!" or "The baby didn't cry at all!" or "I enjoyed the music - what was that hymn they played when the family came to the front?"
    Good grief - just thinking of saying this sort of thing makes me want to crawl under a log somewhere.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Enjoy? I think I'd prefer a trip to the dentist. Except that those pesky hygienists all seem to expect small talk, and while they have sharp objects in your mouth, to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    me I find something that needs to be done (if something needs to be straightened, or cleaned up, anything that will need to be taken care of I will do. so by being busy I don't have stand awkwardly around. And I get told that I'm helpful or whatever. they think I'm being nice, when in reality I just don't want to talk to them.
    I often use this strategy. Or, I simply go somewhere else. In a church, I can usually find a library or parlor where there is something to read, or a piano to play. Once or twice I have minded children in the nursery.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I often use this strategy. Or, I simply go somewhere else. In a church, I can usually find a library or parlor where there is something to read, or a piano to play. Once or twice I have minded children in the nursery.
    I've been known to just wander off mid-conversation myself. It offends people sometimes, but that's often the enjoyable part.

Annoyingly most 'events' are nothing but small talk. It's something I hate at weddings, where I have to hunt for people who engage me to avoid insanity. Funerals are actually a bit better sometimes because more things are in the open and people aren't so cloistered by social convention, apart from the social convention that mass grief, and with that the bearing of self that often comes with it, is only ok at funerals of course.

But then again I'm sure plenty of people would find me very boring to talk to as well so it's swings and roundabouts.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Good grief - just thinking of saying this sort of thing makes me want to crawl under a log somewhere.
    Rome wasn't built in a day. A person has to start somewhere.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Annoyingly most 'events' are nothing but small talk.
    Well, here's the thing - who will be the first person to talk "real"? I have watched a lot of people in my day and listened to many make this same grievance. Yet I do not observe them "getting real" in conversation either. I do not see them taking any risks and being any more themselves than the people they complain about.

So, idk - is real conversation truly a preference? .
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Rome wasn't built in a day. A person has to start somewhere.
    Rome was built in a day though wasn't it? I mean it wasn't completed in a day, but it was established in a single day.

See how I small talked?

- - - Updated - - -

So, idk - is real conversation truly a preference? .
    No more than peoples real smell I would think

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Rome was built in a day though wasn't it? I mean it wasn't completed in a day, but it was established in a single day.

See how I small talked?
    Getting all literal with my epigram. Very nice!

No more than peoples real smell I would think
    Indeed.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching