User Tag List

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Close Call Car Accidents

In my entire driving career I've had exactly three close calls with other vehicles that would have been very major accidents.

None of them would have been my fault.

I don't know if there's a stereotype regarding INTPs and reflexes, but I think brains and good instincts are more important than reflexes anyway.

1. I was driving 25 mph east on an east-west street. The setting sun was very much to my back. There is no stop sign for me at the intersection ahead of me.

Knowing how blinding the setting sun can be, and knowing full well I was arriving at the center of town where several streets intersect, I turned my headlights on. Both headlights worked.

As I entered the intersection, which included a street cutting diagonally through it, a car that had a stop sign and that clearly had no right to be there at that time pulled out in front of me from the right. I swerved sharply to the left and ended up going parallel to the car for a short time. Frankly, I don't remember what happened to it, the last thing I remember was seeing the car pacing me to the right.

2. There is a very dangerous intersection on a west-east highway at the top of a hill, making visibility difficult. The state had recently installed a stop light and some new turn lanes at the intersection. The new lanes were confusing, especially when traveling east-bound, because they didn't have arrows painted on them yet.

I however was traveling west-bound, with a passenger on board. I had no plan to turn there and I was in the correct lane. As we crested the hill, at the top of which is the stop light which was green, I saw the top of another car, coming towards us, that was in its right-hand turning lane. Suddenly however it made a very abrupt swerve into the straight-ahead lane, as if the driver was confused; and then suddenly the car was in our lane headed straight for us.

I had been gradually slowing down because the situation looked so weird, so that would have been a saving factor. When my passenger yelled "OH MY GOD!" I bailed off the road to the right. There was no other way out of a head-on. I drove into a vacant lot and got stuck in some mud. I looked behind me and saw that car obliviously carrying on in the wrong lane until someone honked at the lame-ass driver.

Soon after, my passenger remarked that I had just driven between a pole and a guy line at a pretty good clip, with inches to spare on either side of the car.

3. I was driving south in a 35 mph zone with my entire family on board. I was last in a small line of cars, lagging behind the car in front of me by a few car lengths.

Something looked funny to me about a car parked on the right side of the road. It had its brake lights on as if it was waiting to pull out while our line of cars drove by it. It had a left-turn signal. The car was one of these kind of sporty jobs driven by drug dealers around the area, and had darkened windows characteristic of the type.

I don't know why, but I had this suspicion or intuitive hunch that the car was not only going to pull out in front of us, but make an illegal U-turn in front of us. I have no idea where this idea came from. But with the two seconds I had left before a collision, I estimated my chances. There were no cars in the north-bound lane, so I gunned it and swerved into then north-bound, startling my family. The last thing I remember was that drug-dealer car pointed directly at mine as I zoomed past it - as it was in the process of making a sudden U-turn.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm guessing it's an IxxP thing. It might be a form of unfocused attention on what's happening outside (auxiliary), while mainly focusing internally on what is the right course of action (dominant).

In a group environment, I have a tendency to react faster than most other types on things like pencils falling off desks, even when I'm not looking. Meanwhile, my attention seems to drift off on the group topic.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    yupp

only been in 2 wrecks neither were my fault. I'm very alert even though me being careful obeying laws doing what I need to do (I have fast reflexes when driving which is good) paying attention south florida has really bad drivers. People who move here from places that supposedly have bad drivers say the people in south florida are at least 10 times worse. people down here truly believe they're the only ones on the road and like in parking lots you have to be careful cuz people will back up into you even if you beep.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    I'm guessing it's an IxxP thing. It might be a form of unfocused attention on what's happening outside (auxiliary), while mainly focusing internally on what is the right course of action (dominant).

In a group environment, I have a tendency to react faster than most other types on things like pencils falling off desks, even when I'm not looking. Meanwhile, my attention seems to drift off on the group topic.
    I was focused like a laser on the world outside of me. Although I had no expectation, no intuition as in example (3), that anybody was about to slam into me, I turned on my headlights as a precaution, because the intersection ahead is a 3-road intersection, and continued on as if all was normal.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    only been in 2 wrecks neither were my fault. I'm very alert even though me being careful obeying laws doing what I need to do (I have fast reflexes when driving which is good) paying attention south florida has really bad drivers. People who move here from places that supposedly have bad drivers say the people in south florida are at least 10 times worse. people down here truly believe they're the only ones on the road and like in parking lots you have to be careful cuz people will back up into you even if you beep.
    Did you read my OP?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Did you read my OP?
    yes and i think most people are like that, at least I am.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

yes and i think most people are like that, at least I am.
    Could you have avoided your accidents?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Could you have avoided your accidents?
    no.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

no.
    Why not?

MBTI
    yupp

because i didn't know that an asshole that had plenty of time to stop wouldn't stop at a red light. I was turning left and was in the middle of the intersection when they light turned red there were cars behind me I had to go and i always look before I make that turn and the distance of the guy coming seemed like he had time to stop he didn't.

also i've almost gotten in wrecks of similar manner since and before then. down here you have people trying to coming in to your lane while your their and it's obvious that you're there.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all