User Tag List

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Default What is your favourite band/artist/composer?

If there is a specific piece of music, then post a link. Also I am interested about the influence of environment...so if you could add the favourite music of your parents and siblings, their personality types, and when they were born, then that would be good as well.

I'll start:

My favourite composer is Beethoven, and if I have a favourite piece it would be his 3rd symphony - the Eroica:

My dad's favourite piece of music is Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto, he likes Russian Romantic music. He is an ISTJ, born in '61. Whereas my mum finds Classical music "loud" and "horrible", but she likes John Mellencamp (and the Dixie Chicks ). Her favourite song is "Small Town". She is an ESFJ, born in '64. My brother...well, it's hard to really know because it changes every day, but some kick ass nigga shit hitting dem hoes mothafucka. He is an ESFP, born in '95. (We are complete opposites in almost every way.)

My dad introduced me to music and encouraged me to play the piano when he realised I have some innate musical ability, so I am lucky in that respect. However I never had any theoretical training until I started university (and haven't had that much, really) so have to pretty much do it intuitively.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

My response is already obvious, but here's my favorite artist:

I watched the first season of American Idol when I was 7 (I think) and I always connected with Kelly - her personality and priorities, etc. I always admired her and her voice still totally blows me away to this day. A lot of her music helped guide me through life, especially her Breakaway album. I could go on for ages about Kelly but I'll keep it short.

My dad is an ISTJ 5w6 sp/sx. He really likes The Carpenters and The Beatles. He basically likes any music that was "his time." The main artist we have in common that we both really like is Whitney Houston.

My mom is an ENFJ 2w3 so/sp. She never really got excited or engaged when I asked her about what kind of music she liked when she was younger. She actually owns almost all of Kelly Clarkson's CDs now (the only two missing are My December and All I Ever Wanted), and the only other music she pretty much listens to nowadays are artists that I play in the car. I think she enjoys Cyndi Lauper though.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Swans.

I like the mindnumbing repetition, pounding rythms and bludgeoning mountains of sound.

My dad's an ENFP 7, like me, born in 1963. His favorite artist is Frank Zappa. He seems to enjoy music where the guitar is the focal point, like Jeff Beck. Also a lot of dadrock in general.

Brother is some variant of xxFP, probably not ESFP, and born in '97. Enneagram 6, 7, or 9, I honestly don't know. We enjoy a lot of the same stuff and I've introduced a great deal of artists to him, like Neutral Milk Hotel, Wu-Tang Clan, Tom Waits, At the Drive-In, King Crimson and The Stooges. He liked all of it. (He didn't seem to care for Nick Drake tho, the bastard.) He's way more into technical, mechanical metal than I am, like Between the Buried and Me. That seems to be the biggest difference between us two regarding taste.

My mother is ESFJ. She likes shit music.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

ndovjtjcaqidthi

My favorite artist is Nick Drake.

I was raised by wolves, they didn't listen to music but howled from time to time.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

We all seem to have ESFJ mothers...and they all like shit music. lol.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Oasis.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

iamamiwhoami

This song personifies them:

Only child, raised in southern New Jersey USA, parents divorced when I was 3 (mother INFJ 9w8, father ESTJ 1w2). Mother is very bohemian new age/spiritual, father is hardworking no nonsense but also rather odd following his own path.

I have no idea where my music taste came from. The majority of it is european.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Thom Yorke/Radiohead.

My ENFJ father's favorite band is The Beatles.

I don't think my ESFJ mother has a favorite artist. Maybe Elton John or Bob Dylan?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

ISFP 9w1 sp/sx
    I adore Tori Amos. I find her best stuff so otherworldly and magical, and at the same time deeply reality-based, raw, and visceral. There's also something transformative/phoenix-like about her music -- it explores very dark themes but there's usually some light at the end of tunnel, some kind of catharsis and then renewal.

favorite music of family members:
    mom (INFP 4 so/sx) - George Gershwin
    dad (ESFJ 6w7 so/sx) - I'm not sure. I think he likes country music and Southern rock.
    brother (INTJ 5w6 sp/so) - Not sure, but I think he likes classical music and opera.