MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Default Lion versus Bear

This is actually a semi (semi!) serious, completely random question--

If you put a lion in an arena with a bear, would they fight? And if so, which one is more likely to win?

I ask, because I had a dream about it. There was this lion that went around eating everyone, and finally it met a bear...and the screen went black as the lion looked on with horror. I don't really know what happened to it. It's been bugging me all day.

Indulge me.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I would think that the bear would win, because of it's sheer size, weight and thick fur.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    I would think that the bear would win, because of it's sheer size, weight and thick fur.
    I'm for the bear too, for similar reasons. The neck snap used on most lion prey won't work here. I think it takes more bullets to bring down a bear, you can bounce them off their skulls. They're pretty brutal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It depends on their size, but bear has so thick fur that its harder for lion to do that much damage, while one good bite from a bear would probably do enough damage to end the fight.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm for the bear too, for similar reasons. The neck snap used on most lion prey won't work here. I think it takes more bullets to bring down a bear, you can bounce them off their skulls. They're pretty brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    It depends on their size, but bear has so thick fur that its harder for lion to do that much damage, while one good bite from a bear would probably do enough damage to end the fight.
    Thanks for the responses. I don't know much about the relative logistics of bears versus lions. Your perspectives were enlightening; I guess the bear wins.

It looks like my dream was right then--nothing can stop a rampaging lion except a bear. At which point, the screen will go blank.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Pit bull.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, technically, the right germ can stop a bear.
    But it will take some time to incubate, which you might not have.

I learned this from a very instructive source:
    http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-animat...abia-din-sta-2

I think polar bears are actually the largest mammal predator out there (and the Kodiak brown bears are similar in size).
    Average weight of male: 900-1500 pounds
    Length: 8-8.5'

Lions:
    Average weight: 550 lbs
    Average length: 6' or so

Also of interest:
    Big Cat interspecies fight
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1676801.html

An actual detailed sideshow fight between bear and lion:
    http://www.historybanter.com/animal-...ing-in-mexico/

As expected, the lion did more damage overall to the bear in terms of bloodying him but was unable to really get through the bear's hide/fur; and once the bear got pissed off enough, he beat the crap out of the lion and tossed him around the cage. Both quit before either died, but the bear seemed in better shape than the lion at the end. (i.e, the lion was knocked down/out, and the bear could have killed him at that point, except that both seemed to want the match over.)

EDIT: Actually, I've read further through that bit of history (where the lion and bear were then individually set against a bull). It's pretty horrific from an animal-care perspective, not just the animals being set up to fight to the death but also how humans intervened and forced them to keep fighting until in fact at least two of the animals had died, all for sport. So... just a warning as to the graphic nature of the description.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Let's do this. I'm ready to fight.

MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I prefer lions, so.

MBTI
    INTp

You can google up a number of anecdotes about lions and bears getting in fights (inadvertantly) in circus acts and a few staged fights over the past century. Lions usually win (one guy had it at 7/10 for the lions). It seems lions are much quicker and tend to slice up the bear up to the point blood loss eventually wears it out. Bears are more powerful though and it seems they can sometimes concuss/stun the lion and get the upper hand.