User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I have a theme "headphones" and just google for that word. Quite J'ish, I know, but it works
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    So I'm one of the few (?) without a pic--how did anyone decide on theirs? What do you avoid?
    What's the intention of the avatar picture? It all depends (ugh). So I'll just give a possible grouping of categories and give examples of what I would choose. These all avoid, of course, using pics-of-self as avatars. These are analogical or abstracting self-imagings.

1) I want to portray something about myself and my character:

a) an Idealized Portrait

b) a Brutally Critical Portrait

c) a Mild Caricature (a bit of both a and b)

2) I want to talk about something that's not necessarily part of who I am, but certainly reflects something I think about and/or value and/or despise. I'm sharing my perspective more than myself, though the former necessarily implies something of the latter.

a) something I hate.

b) something I love.

c) neutral-ish comment on society, the world, thought in general

etc.

__________________________________________________ __________

As for my current avatar pic? It's an idealized self-portrait, since I would love to be God (or one version of God at the least)... it's also something I love... and it's a comment on the world... the lack of control we have and how only a superbeing could make sense of it all.

So ultimately, categorizing avatar pics is useless... you'll choose a picture thinking one thing, you may end up developing a whole new perspective on it, and ten different viewers will interpret it ten different ways.... maybe someone will think that, Hey, he likes George Bush... I don't know...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    What's the intention of the avatar picture? It all depends (ugh). So I'll just give a possible grouping of categories and give examples of what I would choose. These all avoid, of course, using pics-of-self as avatars. These are analogical or abstracting self-imagings.

1) I want to portray something about myself and my character:

a) an Idealized Portrait

b) a Brutally Critical Portrait

c) a Mild Caricature (a bit of both a and b)

2) I want to talk about something that's not necessarily part of who I am, but certainly reflects something I think about and/or value and/or despise. I'm sharing my perspective more than myself, though the former necessarily implies something of the latter.

a) something I hate.

b) something I love.

c) neutral-ish comment on society, the world, thought in general

etc.

__________________________________________________ __________

As for my current avatar pic? It's an idealized self-portrait, since I would love to be God (or one version of God at the least)... it's also something I love... and it's a comment on the world... the lack of control we have and how only a superbeing could make sense of it all.

So ultimately, categorizing avatar pics is useless... you'll choose a picture thinking one thing, you may end up developing a whole new perspective on it, and ten different viewers will interpret it ten different ways.... maybe someone will think that, Hey, he likes George Bush... I don't know...
    Very, very helpful. And you're right, so much room for misunderstanding and for expressing just about anything. God...I think I'd be content with being an effective parking space angel at this point...
    edcoaching

Sniffles

It's hard to say really. Whatever appeals to me.

On another forum, somebody noted that I often seem to have the best pictures of distinguished gentlemen for avatars. That point was even made in my introduction thread.

Of course my current one is an exception to that rule.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I usually pick something that means a lot to me.

My pic is of 'Cloud', the protagonist in Final Fantasy VII, a Japanese video game that is ultimately responsible for me learning Japanese, going to Japan three times, and doing translating work for about a year.