User Tag List

First 123

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I learned the most in the classes where the prof made us memorize... Sometimes the high bar makes you stretch farther.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Okay, so today my Spanish professor just assigned us TODAY 3 completely memorized essays of 2-3 minutes each due THIS FRIDAY. BUT we aren't even presenting all three. He is just going to pick one and we will present it to him. We are allowed a SINGLE notecard with only 30 words maximum in Spanish only.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK??!?!?!

I am going to seriously murder him. Does he have ANY FUCKING CLUE how much shit we all have to do? I have a motherfucking physics exam Friday that I don't know what's going on in and I have to memorize anatomy shit to TEACH A FUCKING CLASS that day too. Not to mention my ORGANIC CHEM test Monday that I am totally lost in and my other exam Tuesday and my physics homeword due TONIGHT that I don't understand.

Seriously, how the FUCK am I supposed to memorize this shit? The grammar doesn't have to be perfect, but what the fuck?? How long is 2-3 minutes on paper anyway?

JESUS CHRISTTTTTTTTTT
    Is this like Spanish 3 or something?

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Your chemistry professor does sound a little inefficient. Maybe she is new and inexperienced? If so, it really sucks for the students, but understand it's probably stressful for her too.

I'd suggest talking with your professors. It can't hurt, and always helps. Just tell them the situation, and why your workload is so heavy. Chances are at least one of them will be sympathetic, and it's possible you can get some sort of extension on something.

Also try to attend supplemental instruction and tutoring if you're not already. I would never have passed chemistry otherwise.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Your chemistry professor does sound a little inefficient. Maybe she is new and inexperienced? If so, it really sucks for the students, but understand it's probably stressful for her too.

I'd suggest talking with your professors. It can't hurt, and always helps. Just tell them the situation, and why your workload is so heavy. Chances are at least one of them will be sympathetic, and it's possible you can get some sort of extension on something.

Also try to attend supplemental instruction and tutoring if you're not already. I would never have passed chemistry otherwise.

Very wise words...
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    yupp

so does your professor steals hats off of people's asses than has sex with them, or does he buy them? because if he buys them, you might be able to get him on prostitution

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What do you think of the common practice of giving lower grades when an assignment is turned in late or is messy/incomplete? It creates uncertainty as to whether Suzy is getting a D in math because she is having a hard time understanding math, or because she has not developed good work habits. Either cause would need to be addressed, but the solutions are different in each case.
    I think if the student isn't doing grade level work for whatever reason, they should get a lower grade so the parents know there is something the student isn't getting or doing so that they can ask about it and address it if they want to.

I can live with less than optimal grades for organizational stuff as long as they are learning. I'd kind of expect that from a child of an INFJ and INTP, especially my autistic ones. They can learn the organizational stuff later when they figure out why it's important (because you can tell them until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't do much good until the light comes on for them), but if they are already behind it can be a big problem. With math, especially, because those skills build upon one another. And it's not like reading where you can, under normal circumstances, improve by doing it more.

My kids aren't athletic, or crazy attractive, or hugely charming. If they are going to have any kind of decent lives, it's going to be their brains and education that gets them there and I get pissed when people screw with their best shot.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I learned the most in the classes where the prof made us memorize... Sometimes the high bar makes you stretch farther.
    No...it's not that sort of an assignment. I'm not memorizing facts and stuff. It's pointless. I've had classes that have had points, and classes that haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Is this like Spanish 3 or something?
    I think it's like second semester Spanish 2 or whatever. I just have to take it as part of a requirement. It's easy except for this assignment having such a close due date.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post

Haha! She isn't new, just spastic and VERY enthusiastic. I love this quality in a professor, but she gets a bit too excited and ends up doing everything way too fast.

Gah, I know I really should attend the supplemental instruction offered for chem, but I just don't have the willpower to do it. My class is two hours long and the SI is right after class. I don't know what I would do if I had to do three hours straight of organic chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Even if the grade isn't curved, it's still kind of a competition/comparison. Are the other students all going to do better than you at this assignment? Hopefully, it's not worth a huge percentage of the grade.

My daughter is taking Korean (because she has a thing for taking the first year of any language she has access to, like she has to collect them all or something, lol) and the professor is visiting for the year from Korea. He gave them an assignment to memorize a whole bunch of pages in the text book in a matter of a couple of days, which Korean students could easily do. My daughter was kind of freaked out, but then someone talked to the professor and explained to him that American students are too stupid to memorize that much stuff and he cut the requirements down drastically. My daughter thought it was cut down a bit too much, but she is having trouble with pronouncing the language, so she isn't complaining.
    Oh! I get what you're saying now! Unfortunately, I am going first, so the prof doesn't get to compare me with other students before he grades me. This can either be a good or a bad thing, depending on the professor's expectations and leniency.

---

My issue is just that I don't have enough time to do all of this! I am barely going to even be home today. Looks like I'll have to pull an all-nighter. If I stay up, I can't allow myself to sleep at all or I risk sleeping in. I understand that a half an hour of sleep is definitely better than nothing, but I can't afford to miss my morning exam. Guess I'll have to load up on caffeine.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Gah, I know I really should attend the supplemental instruction offered for chem, but I just don't have the willpower to do it. My class is two hours long and the SI is right after class. I don't know what I would do if I had to do three hours straight of organic chemistry.
    Hmm I don't know if it would work for you because you use Si and I use Se, but I find that making a ritual out of eating or drinking something pleasant in association with a task or event makes me look forward to it. Like I would drink a Frappuccino before every chemistry test, last semester I would drink a chai latte when I was reading in the library, and this semester I eat unfrosted toaster pastries in class. Maybe you could do something similar for SI?

I feel your pain though. One reason I didn't continue with nutrition was that I felt like if I took three more semesters of chemistry my brain would melt and my soul would dribble out of my ears.
    Guess I'll have to load up on caffeine.
    Or Adderal...caffeine doesn't work for me, but speed does! haha

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

My brother used to write his spanish essays and my sister in law would translate as she typed them up for him. He's ENTJ and she's IFJ. Ha. She has some kind of photographic memory.

Good luck.