User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Would you buy a castle if given the option?

It's in the fluff zone because this is.. well.. fluff.. hypothetical question.. but is seeking somewhat serious answers.

http://9gag.com/gag/aKzj3Qg?ref=fb.s This inspired the topic. Basically: Badass castles in other countries cost LESS than shitty NYC apartments.

Why don't more people live in more luxurious homes farther out? I'm not talking people who have to commute to work all the time or anything.. I'm talking if 10 retired people living in $200-300k suburbia instead spent the same amount of money each month on a bad ass castle in a beautiful area. (I'm sure there's logistical issues with 10 people wanting the exact same thing, but it has to be out there..)

Anyways. Question is: If someone was gathering people you could stand to live in the same huge building, would you take this over, say, settling in a small place in the middle of a subdivision or something on your own? Why or why not?

Honestly. I would take that any day of the week. Beautiful lands, lovely genuine castle with more character than any modern home, and a bit extra a month out of our pocket would pay people to clean it and I could live like a king on a pauper's pension.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Yes of course. If there are enough people it actually sounds really fun.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd rather have a studio apartment for the price of those castles...a fancy one, of course...because there is no sense in walking three miles across wings from the computer to the bathroom.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I would if I didn't have to live there all the time... I mean I don't really want to live in a castle but the part about living with a bunch of friends on a beautiful piece of property sounds like lots if fun.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I would and shout from the castle top, "off with their heads" or something to that effect. Then I'd probably get bored and just move to the city instead.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'd rather own an island than a castle.

http://www.caribbeanislandbrokers.com/islands-for-sale

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I would consider it if there was staff for cooking and cleaning and grounds. And if it's for when I'm old, an elevator in case my joints don't like me anymore.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    I'd rather have a studio apartment for the price of those castles...a fancy one, of course...because there is no sense in walking three miles across wings from the computer to the bathroom.
    As the governor of my new home would say,

(only chamber pots)

as for the OP- I wouldn't buy a house OR a castle.
    Too much commitment.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    As the governor of my new home would say,

No kidding, he's your landlord?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

On the one hand, I love the photos of those castles. The idea of it is very appealing. The problem is one of practicality. If you're working in a big city it is pretty hard to get a castle within commuting distance. Then there is the cost and effort associated with maintaining the thing - which is big and old. For the retired people that were mentioned - why would they need at 10K - 20K feet of living space? What would you do with all that space? It's nicer in my opinion to have something a little cozier. I stayed in a French Chateau once. I guess that's sort of like a castle. The place was stunning from the outside. We were on the second floor (see windows to the right of the turret in the middle). I recall sneaking up to the business office which was on the third floor to use the Internet and check what was going on here.

It was pretty nice but on the inside, I actually like my house quite a bit more.

So my answer to the question is it sounds a lot nicer than it probably is.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639