User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Default Why do you wear the particular clothes you wear?

I'm anticipating a lot of "it's comfortable" remarks but try to go beyond that. What makes you comfortable about the clothes you selected. Do you feel you choose clothes that align you with a particular sub-culture (coporate culture, rave culture, sorority culture, ethnic culture). If you have clothing with imagery why are you attracted to that if you don't why do you avoid clothing with imagery. Are your clothes similar to the clothing of your family/friends? Different? Do you use clothing to connect yourself or model yourself after any personal icons or types. Is there a type of clothing you want to wear but feel you can't because of the reaction of others or perhaps that it doesn't fit with your place in society?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I'm anticipating a lot of "it's comfortable" remarks but try to go beyond that. What makes you comfortable about the clothes you selected.
    Well, comfort is obviously a factor. For me that also includes material, so I'll pay more for a sweater made of cotton than for one made from acryl, etc. It should feel good on my skin. Other than that I am usually looking for a style that is simple and classic, won't go out of fashion too soon. And I refuse to really invest money in cloths, so I usually buy from the lower mid to mid end of the market, I usually don't give a damn about brands and such.
    Socially it should blend in for the most part, i.e. be appropriate for my age and social background. I have three sets of cloths:

1. Comfy everyday cloths (I work from home) which are still presentable enough to go into town and meet people with them, I would never wear sportswear when not doing sports. It's usually jeans and a neutral shirt or sweater. No makeup and glasses rather than contact lenses with this look.

2. Nice cloths to wear to parties at friend's places or when meeting people for whom I want to look good or just for days when I want to feel good about myself and dress up a little for myself. This could be an occasion for a skirt or a dress, pants that aren't jeans or for a carefully chosen color combination or accessories like jewelry or a skarf. Possibly slight makeup and contacts instead of glasses here.

3. Cloths for work (i.e. visiting customers) - classic business apparel here, a pants suit or a skirt with a fitting blazer. I am petite for my country, so finding a pant suit that truely fits is a major pain in the ass, a business costume is much easier and looks better but also underlines my gender which I want to avoid during work. The cloths should blend right in, not call attention, it's a work uniform. Likely a slight makeup and contacts.

Do you feel you choose clothes that align you with a particular sub-culture (coporate culture, rave culture, sorority culture, ethnic culture).
    Not sure what subculture I belong to. My social circle consists mostly of both nerds/geeks and hipsters. I probably look like a typical college educated middle class female in her 30s which is what I am. Yes, there is a dress code for that in Germany. There is no ethnic clothing though beyond a perversion of traditional Bavarian dress that some people dress up with around this time of the year Oktoberfest) which I find ridiculous. I am from the North and do not at all identify with Bavaria and their lederhose aesthetics. I hate that trend of people equating Germany with Bavaria (or Spain with Andalucia, the USA with Texas,...)

If you have clothing with imagery why are you attracted to that if you don't why do you avoid clothing with imagery.
    I'd say 95% of my cloths are without imagery or slogans. It wears off easily in the laundry and looks horrible after that, it easily gets dated or you get bored of it as well. The only exception are two geeky shirts by a relatively wellknown highbrow artsy pair of cartoonist (Katz & Goldt). I immediately notice when someone else wears one which is quite rare anyway and it's like some kind of secret code indicating a similar sense of humour and background. I rarely ever wear them though.

Are your clothes similar to the clothing of your family/friends? Different?
    Probably similar overall if you compair them to the national average though the do not stand out much in a crowd.

Do you use clothing to connect yourself or model yourself after any personal icons or types.
    No

Is there a type of clothing you want to wear but feel you can't because of the reaction of others or perhaps that it doesn't fit with your place in society?
    Yes. I would probably wear a lot more vintage clothing, historial costumes or ethnic clothing from around the world if it would not look like a halloween/carneval costume and stick out so much.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

I like jeans and t-shirts cuz it's simple

and pajama's aren't socially acceptable

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

The clothes I wear are how I see myself at that moment and in general. I like them because they have a sense of defiance, functionality, and refinement.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I try to wear clothes that reflect who I feel that I am. I'm not comfortable most of the time wearing things that are considered "trendy". They also have to be comfortable. I typically fall in with the "indie/hipster" crowd because those are the kinds of things I like and am comfortable wearing... I get very uncomfortable if I have to wear something and don't consider it to be "me".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I'm anticipating a lot of "it's comfortable" remarks but try to go beyond that. What makes you comfortable about the clothes you selected. Do you feel you choose clothes that align you with a particular sub-culture (coporate culture, rave culture, sorority culture, ethnic culture). If you have clothing with imagery why are you attracted to that if you don't why do you avoid clothing with imagery. Are your clothes similar to the clothing of your family/friends? Different? Do you use clothing to connect yourself or model yourself after any personal icons or types. Is there a type of clothing you want to wear but feel you can't because of the reaction of others or perhaps that it doesn't fit with your place in society?
    I guess I could answer my own questions do give people sense of what I'm talking about.

1.) in regards to comfort. I can see how a maxi dress is physically comfortable but I would be very uncomfortable in one. To me those are very much the garb of glam/diva fashionista type and very much not me. I would feel like I was in a costume. Similarly I generally don't wear much of the "festival" type clothes other women my age wear. I don't feel comfortable in crop tops and typically my clothes are much more gender neutral. I think this is because I have a lot of trepidation about presenting my sexuality (due to inexperience and being a little stereotypical unfeminine). Somehow I feel if I avoid clothing that emphasizes my body I can avoid dealing with that.

2.) I think I choose clothes that align with urban skate culture because its something I've always glamorized. Not that it's true but I like the ideas rebellion, freedom, athleticism, comraderie, connections to music I like, connections to art I like, that it's functional, that it's sort of minimal, sunshine, fun! Thy surround this subculture. And so I wear skate sneakers, loose fotting t-shirts, and other items typical of that scene. There are other scenes too I like but I think that one is the easily traceable.

3.)I generally don't get clothing with imagery. Most of the ones I've come across are unfunny jokes, or designs that are more for hippies or MMA types. Maybe of there were more shirts with my aesthetic o would wear them. Even band shirts just seems like a weird bummer sticker

4.)I think I dress similar to my family. None of us have very "loud" manners of dressing. And most of the women are more practical. It actually was very strange how radically my mom changed during her midlife crisis and how her clothing became so telling. No one in the family really is into designers, or professional hair coloring but she sort of completely took that on and her dress became much more heels and toght skirts and jewlwey. As for my friends, I think we're in sort of a hipster young professional crossover. I feel very out of place style wise amoungst most groups of women my age. Most are more traditionally feminine either in a sorority type way, a diva way, a bohemian way. However amoungst my inner cockle I think clothes are a little more unisex. Everyone in skinny jeans coats, not inch jewlwey. Some men have long hair some women short hair. Me and my boyfriend will trade shirts.

5.) types I find myself draw too emulating are skateboarders, rebellious 50's chicks, powerful business women in pencil skirts, lumberjacks/snow adventurers, punks.

6.)I've always wanted to wear bustier tops buts as I said I'm too uncomfortable being "sexy". I like retro and alternative looks but I have very curly hair and I feel like the hair is a big component and they mostly call for straight hair.

MBTI
    yupp

oh and in jeans, i don't have to shave my legs. it comes down to laziness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i pretty much always dress comfortably. i don't often wear shirts with images on them but might have a couple that get pulled out twice a year...maybe.

i wear a lot of skirts, jeans and dresses.

sometimes for work...i wear trousers, blouse, jacket and heels. pretty much never wear that outside of work.

i feel like i dress super casual but often have had people say that i'm all dressed up or something just because i'm wearing a skirt?? i don't get it...but this is a weird town. i would've never heard that where i used to live.

the reasons behind it all?? well to be honest...i don't really reflect in this way about this sort of thing.

i simply buy clothes that i like...i guess i like them because they match however i feel about myself but i don't think i've ever thought hmm...i'll buy this pretty dress because it's so bohemian hip and cool looking and i identify with that.

i mean...you don't either right? you're just analyzing the reasons after the fact?

i think if my bank account would allow it i might own some really interesting avant garde stuff and wear it just out n about even tho it would make zero sense to do it...with the things that i typically do...

i will say however that as much as i like funky jewelry i rarely wear it...except maybe one piece every once and awhile...like a ring maybe.
    and that's probably because i often feel like it's too much...for whatever reason...must be the town slowly changing me...and making me dress down.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i pretty much always dress comfortably. i don't often wear shirts with images on them but might have a couple that get pulled out twice a year...maybe.

sometimes for work...i wear trousers, blouse, jacket and heels. pretty much never wear that outside of work.

i feel like i dress super casual but often have had people say that i'm all dressed up or something just because i'm wearing a skirt?? i don't get it...but this is a weird town. i would've never heard that where i used to live.

the reasons behind it all?? well to be honest...i don't really reflect in this way about this sort of thing.

i simply buy clothes that i like...i guess i like them because they match however i feel about myself but i don't think i've ever thought hmm...i'll buy this pretty dress because it's so bohemian hip and cool looking and i identify with that.

i mean...you don't either right? you're just analyzing the reasons after the fact?

i think if my bank account would allow it i might own some really interesting avant garde stuff and wear it just out n about even tho it would make zero sense to do it...with the things that i typically do...

i will say however that as much as i like funky jewelry i rarely wear it...except maybe one piece every once and awhile...like a ring maybe.
    and that's probably because i often feel like it's too much...for whatever reason...must be the town slowly changing me...and making me dress down.

Yes very much after the fact analysis. Just thinking with tons of options what do we express with what we wear. Even though no particularly fashion concious I still make decisions and I'm just reflectin on what those decisions mean. The fact that we prefer one pattern to another has to have some underlying cause. These could vary from person to person. Ie mark wears black because its not too ostentatious, Kevin because its mysterious, Alvin because its sliming, Kyle because its sexy,
    Anne because it doesn't stain as easy.

I think subconsciously it has to be related to what we value and how we think of the outside world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post

Yes very much after the fact analysis. Just thinking with tons of options what do we express with what we wear. Even though no particularly fashion concious I still make decisions and I'm just reflectin on what those decisions mean. The fact that we prefer one pattern to another has to have some underlying cause. These could vary from person to person. Ie mark wears black because its not too ostentatious, Kevin because its mysterious, Alvin because its sliming, Kyle because its sexy,
    Anne because it doesn't stain as easy.

I think subconsciously it has to be related to what we value and how we think of the outside world.