Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Pure utility for the most part.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I was certainly expecting some sort of response to the above.
    Well I think it's interesting that there is a uniform to both your professional and private life. You enjoy these uniforms and while you want to distinguish yourself within our group you are very aware of how dress aligns you with a certain strata of people. I think you awareness of how you use your clothes is a lot clearer than most other people have responded with.

I wasn't particularly surprise. I sort expected your answer but it was still a great post because it did get to the heart of what I was asking, namely what underlying values cause you to adopt certain visual cues that align you with other people that share yor values.

That the upper middle /upper class does have it's own clothes culture is really interesting. Where I went to school there were frat guys who dressed like you were describing and there were art students who dressed like hipsters (a lot of others but just these for simplicities sake). The majority of these people all came from the same background. Their clothes were very informative of what major they had, musical and cultural taste and often political leanings. I don't think it was a coincidence. Anyways I think clothes just say a lot on how we identify. In pbvious ways like above but also in less obvious more personal ways. Looking for more personal examples, what shapes our tastes.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Well I think it's interesting that there is a uniform to both your professional and private life. You enjoy these uniforms and while you want to distinguish yourself within our group you are very aware of how dress aligns you with a certain strata of people. I think you awareness of how you use your clothes is a lot clearer than most other people have responded with.

I wasn't particularly surprise. I sort expected your answer but it was still a great post because it did get to the heart of what I was asking, namely what underlying values cause you to adopt certain visual cues that align you with other people that share yor values.

That the upper middle /upper class does have it's own clothes culture is really interesting. Where I went to school there were frat guys who dressed like you were describing and there were art students who dressed like hipsters (a lot of others but just these for simplicities sake). The majority of these people all came from the same background. Their clothes were very informative of what major they had, musical and cultural taste and often political leanings. I don't think it was a coincidence. Anyways I think clothes just say a lot on how we identify. In pbvious ways like above but also in less obvious more personal ways. Looking for more personal examples, what shapes our tastes.
    I try to be as honest as I can.

And it does have a what major/job you have component.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

If I'm at home with no guests, I don't bother wearing much clothes anyway and may have a robe if it's cold. This is because it is is easy, comfortable, and without hassle.

But if I'm going to both to wear clothes other people will see, I don't really dress for comfort, actually. I dress with what I think looks good (mainly to me, but I hope others). I like dress clothes. I like the way they look and I think the do sort of project at least some sense of not being a slob.

I try to wear clothes that are slim fit. I think that also looks more clean, but frankly it's also because I have really nice muscle development but am really skinny, so I kind of need tight clothes to convey that.

I wear black as much as I can, because it is my favorite color and because it allows one to fade out more easily, and I only want to be the target of attention when I choose (which is not often). Next to that, light grays, earthy greens, or white if I feel I can avoid stains.

I never wear anything with words or images on it, as something about that always bugged me. I don't want associations on my clothes like that.

I often "over dress" for the weather, like long sleeves when it's a bit warm or a trench coat when it is only kind of cool. I'm not entirely comfortable with feeling exposed. Also, the less covering things are, the harder it gets to find them in a dressy style (and my measurements make finding clothes hard enough). I also like having pockets. If it's really hot and I must give in, I tend to wear things like tight fitting, stretch-cotton tee shirts (black of course).

Shoes are rarely casual. They are either dress shoes or heft boots. I don't like laces, they annoy me.

With all that austerity aside, I do some self expression. I often wear necklaces, mainly just ones I think look nice. I most often wear one that is a jellyfish in opalescent glass, but I have others, like an octopus. I want to get/make a necklace of a dead albatross . I have an armor ring with the symbol of the Iron Front on it, because I like the way it looks and because I'm happy to convey a strong Social Democratic sentiment (still won't wear it on my clothes).

Was that in depth enough?

EDIT: I'll answer the more specific questions (except for the imagery thing, which is already answered).

I do not make a point to look like any sub-culture or to avoid looking like any sub-culture.

My clothes are not to imitate any particular icon, though culturally I must have gotten my tastes somewhere and probably passively absorbed it from real or fictional people I've seen.

I do not dress like friends or family.

Yes, I want to wear things that people would react to strangely, so I don't. Sometimes I'd rather wear something like a skirt than pants, as I think pants are a bit less comfortable and I sort of like the cloaked aesthetic. My need to cover myself and be anonymous flares up sometimes, and I want to wear a mask, or gloves when it would be weird do wear gloves.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Lol, echoing Disco's sentiment: when can I expect my wardrobe analysis results Ms. @Pseudo? :P
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Because they're comfortable and show off cool things.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I like to wear waistcoats a lot, and I always have a shirt half buttoned up. I usually have something around my neck, and a prayer mala on my wrist that I never take off. I often wear a bandana as well.

Its just a look I picked up over time that kind of stuck. It's not really inspired by anything other than my own personal taste.

I also like to colour coordinate, a little too obsessively at times.

I like to dress comfortable first and foremost, but I enjoy looking good too, at least to my eyes. Well put together, but not "suity". Stuff like tracksuits and t-shirts and hoodies bore me to tears.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Lol, echoing Disco's sentiment: when can I expect my wardrobe analysis results Ms. @Pseudo? :P
    Well you have me much less to work with in regards to subcultures you feel you belong to or want to emulate, however what stood out to me were your many mentions of little accessories specifically yor earthy bracelet and that you like 60-70s vibe. What is it about those eras that are attractive to you? By emulating their style what do you think that incorporates to you. I would guess that you value individuality and authenticity/nature. You have your mods and disco but those decades strike me as very much about youth and effortless beauty themes, as compared to the structured plastic mess ofthe 80s. Also, while obviously tumultuous for whatever reason they also make me think of sort of sleepy sunshine and happiness, positivity as compared to the angst of the nineties or raging, energetic decadence of the twenties. Of course these are all my nostalgic versions.

So in summary you like fun, charming details that exude your originality but not in a confrontational way.

Maybe. This is really supposed to be about self-determinism

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I mostly stick to clothes that are comfortable and easy to care for. I slipped into this mode of dress over time...busy/no reason to 'dress up'/kids/other energy drains. I used to dress in an eccentric manner. I'm slowly getting back into it...need money first! I like clothes a lot but I hate shopping with a passion. It is an exercise in frustration and I easily get impatient and tire of it. So, I think more about what I like than going through the trouble of buying it.

I don't know why but I have always loved dressing/picking out stuff for other people. I'm really good at it, too. I worked for a little while in retail and that was the only thing that made it tolerable.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I mostly stick to clothes that are comfortable and easy to care for. I slipped into this mode of dress over time...busy/no reason to 'dress up'/kids/other energy drains. I used to dress in an eccentric manner. I'm slowly getting back into it...need money first! I like clothes a lot but I hate shopping with a passion. It is an exercise in frustration and I easily get impatient and tire of it. So, I think more about what I like than going through the trouble of buying it.

I don't know why but I have always loved dressing/picking out stuff for other people. I'm really good at it, too. I worked for a little while in retail and that was the only thing that made it tolerable.
    Red, if I'm ever rich, we're going shopping!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.