User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    How do you decided what's stylish?
    Personal preference mainly (I go with things that are timeless), but that bleeds into what's currently trendy.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Nicolita: how do you think your aesthetic developed? I thought I was interesting how you idea accessories of fabric choices to stay within your aesthetic. Do you think there are any underlying associations or feelings you get from your earthy bracelet, orange glasses, barrettes or cotton? Where do those associations/feelings stem from?
    I think I just like things to feel easy. I don't like looking stuffy or showy or contrived. I also like things that are "fun" like the bright glasses and barrettes.

So, I guess it boils down to easy and fun with a touch of artsy (those pretty details).
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I guess I could answer my own questions do give people sense of what I'm talking about.

1.) in regards to comfort. I can see how a maxi dress is physically comfortable but I would be very uncomfortable in one. To me those are very much the garb of glam/diva fashionista type and very much not me. I would feel like I was in a costume. Similarly I generally don't wear much of the "festival" type clothes other women my age wear. I don't feel comfortable in crop tops and typically my clothes are much more gender neutral. I think this is because I have a lot of trepidation about presenting my sexuality (due to inexperience and being a little stereotypical unfeminine). Somehow I feel if I avoid clothing that emphasizes my body I can avoid dealing with that.

2.) I think I choose clothes that align with urban skate culture because its something I've always glamorized. Not that it's true but I like the ideas rebellion, freedom, athleticism, comraderie, connections to music I like, connections to art I like, that it's functional, that it's sort of minimal, sunshine, fun! Thy surround this subculture. And so I wear skate sneakers, loose fotting t-shirts, and other items typical of that scene. There are other scenes too I like but I think that one is the easily traceable.

3.)I generally don't get clothing with imagery. Most of the ones I've come across are unfunny jokes, or designs that are more for hippies or MMA types. Maybe of there were more shirts with my aesthetic o would wear them. Even band shirts just seems like a weird bummer sticker

4.)I think I dress similar to my family. None of us have very "loud" manners of dressing. And most of the women are more practical. It actually was very strange how radically my mom changed during her midlife crisis and how her clothing became so telling. No one in the family really is into designers, or professional hair coloring but she sort of completely took that on and her dress became much more heels and toght skirts and jewlwey. As for my friends, I think we're in sort of a hipster young professional crossover. I feel very out of place style wise amoungst most groups of women my age. Most are more traditionally feminine either in a sorority type way, a diva way, a bohemian way. However amoungst my inner cockle I think clothes are a little more unisex. Everyone in skinny jeans coats, not inch jewlwey. Some men have long hair some women short hair. Me and my boyfriend will trade shirts.

5.) types I find myself draw too emulating are skateboarders, rebellious 50's chicks, powerful business women in pencil skirts, lumberjacks/snow adventurers, punks.

6.)I've always wanted to wear bustier tops buts as I said I'm too uncomfortable being "sexy". I like retro and alternative looks but I have very curly hair and I feel like the hair is a big component and they mostly call for straight hair.
    1) Definitely agree about the dressing sexy thing. It makes me really uncomfortable, so therefore it isn't an attractive look for me. I try to wear what is attractive on me, but also not inappropriate in everyday situations. I do like long skirts. I have a really pretty red floral one that I like to wear with tank tops or casual v-neck t-shirts.

2) Like I said before, my clothes tend to lean toward a indie/hipster/bohemian/hippie/vintage type of category. I kind of just pull from what I like from each of those styles/cultures.

3) I generally don't have clothes with imagery. Mainly I can't stand the ones with brand names. I have seen shirts that I like with imagery, but I haven't been able to find any so far that I like that are accessible to me (out of price range, or not manufactured anymore usually). I have a couple of band t-shirts, but I mostly use those for sleeping in as I usually buy those in a size larger than I normally wear. They're more comfy that way.

4) I used to dress similarly to my mom. She pretty much has a few of the same style shirt in different colors... Then my aunt came along and introduced me to fashion and she dresses very avant-garde, lots of patterns, lots of colors, multiple necklaces, lots of big sparkly earrings, six inch spike heels, the like. Her style is very different than mine, but she did help me to find my own style and what I am comfortable in. So I really don't dress similarly to anyone in my family anymore.

5. I find myself drawn to people who dress very bohemian. Scarves, headbands, rings, interesting patterns. I love one of my close friend's styles. She has short, dyed red hair (she used to have dreads which looked great on her and I don't like dreads), and her style is simple but very interesting. A lot of times she'll wear a plain t-shirt tucked into shorts or jeans and a belt but she always has a bunch of colorful bracelets, and she has all kinds of ear piercings (all studs), lots of simple but pretty rings, and she always wears moccasins.

6) Yeah, I generally dress pretty modestly. I don't like the attention it gets me, and I don't feel good wearing things like bustiers, low cut tops, etc, so I don't. I do wear makeup most of the time though but not a whole lot (usually just a touch of foundation and some mascara). Occasionally I'll curl my hair but it depends. Sometimes I don't need to because my hair has a mind of its own and can get really curly. Other days, it's more wavy. Just depends. Usually I just curl my hair if I haven't washed it in a while and don't feel like doing much to it (it curls easily, so I usually just curl it and put on a headband or something).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Do you think the choices you make in clothing aligns you with similar like minded people? What qualities do you think your clothes express. When you think about what you consider "stylish" or "good" about clothing what are those judgements contracted against?
    I don't know if my choices align me with like-minded people except maybe for the geeky tee shirts and liking certain geek stuff. I don't have a great sense of what is stylish though I can kind of tell when something isn't. 'Good' for me is comfortable, good-fitting, well made, and of a pleasing color/pattern. Preferably flattering. In a perfect world it would be made by people being paid a fair wage and not damaging the environment, but I don't have the resources for that, if such a thing even exists.

Cafe: you really know the functionality of your clothing. Do you think striving for things that are quantifiably "good" is in anyway a reaction against the vanity you notice in your family/society.
    Nah, I don't think so. I find the way my family does things amusing and feel a little bad for being the black sheep. I just can't care about the same things they do. I'd probably be better off if I did. But I'm more . . . well, I'm super-sensitive to tactile stuff and better made stuff feels better and I hate trying stuff on and better made stuff usually lasts longer. Since I don't have to care very much about how I look, I get to care more about how I feel.

It feels more like a luxury than a reaction. My mom and brother (he's a pastor) and my grandparents when they were alive all go/went to church, so they have to have almost a second set of clothes. I've got some stuff I can wear to church, but I only go rarely so I get to spend my money on every day stuff.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I choose clothing with the following considerations:

1. Comfort. Natural fibers, or at least cotton-rich blends. Styles that are tailored without being snug or overly form fitting. If it itches, scratches, makes me clammy, is ill-fitting, or impedes natural motion in any way, it is not for me. I almost always have a jacket or sweater around, so I can accommodate unexpected changes in climate. I never wear high heels. They hurt my feet and ankles, and I cannot walk in my usual stride in them. I usually wear shoes/sandals with good support and sturdy soles. I am especially picky about what goes on my feet.

2. Quality, durability, practicality. I want it to last, so I don't have to replace it soon. Styles change quickly, and I often cannot find a comparable item. Every outfit I wear must have pockets, except for the few items I wear for fancy occasions. I don't use pocketbooks. I have either little enough to fit in my pockets, or enough to require a backpack/messenger bag.

3. Ease of care. I wear alot of cotton knit sweaters/shirts to work, as they are comfortable, don't wrinkle, and travel well. Stretch cotton blouses are OK, but sometimes require ironing. I suppose this is a big part of why I never wear makeup as well. I don't like how it feels on my skin, but I seriously begrudge both the time and money it requires.

4. Style. Understated, modest, conservative. I want my clothes to be a complete non-issue most of the time. I prefer classic , timeless styles in dark colors with little adornment. I wear mostly black and the occasional jewel-toned blouse or sweater. This has the practical advantage that my entire wardrobe is coordinated, down to socks and shoes: everything goes with everything else. I don't wear anything with logos/pictures except for the t-shirts I wear for exercising or yard work. I see no need to give free advertising to some manufacturer or band by wearing their logo around all day, plus I find it calls more attention to my clothing than I want. The only jewelry I wear is a ring, and sometimes a simple necklace or pendant. I ofen do this for occasions where a man would wear a tie, to dress an outfit up a bit.

The above is what I wear to work, volunteer activities, and certain social occasions. I will wear a suit and better shoes for formal meetings, and occasionally black jeans for "dress down" days at work. There are a few exceptions.

1. I have a very few (2-3?) dresses/skirts that I sometimes wear when playing music at a church, but sometimes I just wear my normal work attire with a jacket.

2. I wear sweats/tshirts for working out, and old jeans/work pants/capris with t-shirts or polo shirts for yard work and hanging around on weekends.

3. Now for my guilty pleasure: Indian clothes! If I really want to have fun with what I wear, I wear an Indian salwar-kameez or churidar-kameez outfit, or even a sari. I often wear these for ritual with my Pagan group, sometimes for weddings, occasionally even at church for special occasions, and when I visit my Indian friend and we go out somewhere. This is the one category of clothes exempted from the pocket requirement, since they just aren't made that way usually.

I consider the attitudes of others in what I wear from only one perspective. Except for when I wear the Indian stuff, which I know tends to get a reaction, I don't want people reacting first to my clothes when we meet. That's what I meant about it being a non-issue. There are usually other things I want them to focus on, and clothing that stands out is just a distraction.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Stansmith

Because they make me look/feel good. I like dressing in a way that subtly distinguishes me from others, in that it's mine. I'm not necessarily concerned about making some big, flashy entrance with what I'm wearing. I simply wear what I know I look good in, and hope others take notice . Personal style is much more interesting to me than fashion.

I tend to admire random artists or people I see out on the street who just dress well/interesting without making a big deal out of it.

Comfy, I like the way I look in them, socially acceptable... those are the main I would say!

I have been wearing lots more black now that we have this buisiness casual dress code... it looks more dressy for whatever the reason and it's easy to match/don't have to think too much in the mornings. Stretchy skirts with leggings, sweaters, etc.

I got some stretchy blazers and they are fantastic, let me tell you.

I like to wear a lot of cute little stud earrings, but I couldn't tell you why I like them.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm here.

Do you think the choices you make in clothing aligns you with similar like minded people?
    Short answer yes. Long answer depends on what you mean by like minded. Clothes are one of the primary (maybe THE primary way) in which we judge others these days. What you wear says a whole shitload about you. Whether what the clothes (and how they are worn) says about someone is true is a question for another day. My work suits will convey that I have a sense of fashion (I choose great shirt tie combos, and I wear tailored suits), have the common sense to dress well at work, and to a certain extent that I have the $ to afford dressing this way. I try to look as good as I can as often as I can. Others may have the money and the common sense to try and dress well, but most men don't have a finely tuned fashion sense. I try to be a cut above.

What qualities do you think your clothes express.
    Cavorting clothes will tell you I'm preppy, from a well off background, and that I have a sense of style. Athletic clothes will tell you I'm serious about whatever sport or fitness activity I'm pursuing.

When you think about what you consider "stylish" or "good" about clothing what are those judgements contracted against?
    My clothes are timeless. The preppy stuff I wear would have been in style 30 years ago, and will be in style in another 30. Jeans with a gator skin belt, boat shoes and an oxford polo button down. That will always look good.

You can't tell me that hipster garb will still be in style in another 5 or 10 years.

My clothes, generally are acceptable and stylish in polite society. Within reason I can wear the stuff I wear anywhere and not feel out of place. Unless I'm going to hang with non preppy folks from different social strata. Even then though, I still wear my preppy stuff, and they are generally cool with it.

Disco: do you notice that your cavorting/casual clothing is different for clothing other people your age wear when they are cavorting? Why do you think that is? Also do you find suits limiting or so you enjoy them. Do you like be grouped within "suit wearering professionls" or do you try to wear suits that make you stand out more.
    My clothes are very similar to what men my age from similar backgrounds wear. I think this is because we were raised to dress in ways that are acceptable in polite society. The older and more successful my public highschool buddies from lower socioeconomic strata get, the more they dress the way I always (with a few exceptions early in high school) have.

I think that is so because, most people aren't raised to know the ins and outs of upper-middle/upper class culture. For my friends from lower strata who have had to increasingly get comfortable moving in upper class culture as they gain success, they have changed the way they dress. My buddy used to make fun of the pink polo I wore in highschool. He now has a couple of them himself.

I enjoy wearing suits, and I find them limiting. I will be sitting in A/C at my new job and wont be walking around outside. I can also undo my top button and roll up my sleeves. Thats not all that uncomfortable, and I really like looking good.

As I make more $$ my wardrobe will improve. Eventually I will be wearing name brand (prob Brooks Bro.'s) suits. I need a good custom pair of leather business shoes, I have really high arches and most shoes dont fit my feet all that well.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I was certainly expecting some sort of response to the above.

I wear the clothes I wear because I doubt that my friends and coworkers want to see me naked.

I dress to fit in, or rather to not stand out.

I generally wear a collared, long-sleeved shirt to the office complete with casual trousers (as opposed to a dress pant, say from a two-piece suit). I have a couple suits, and they were tailored a bit when I bought them, but they don't really fit properly anymore. I wear them extremely infrequently anyway. I would never wear them to work, it would be like wearing white tie to a pub.

When I'm out and about doing my own thing I generally throw on a pair of blue jeans and (again) a collared, long-sleeved shirt (although you will often find me with sleeves rolled up, whether I'm at work or not).

The only great concession I make to not "fitting in" is my shoes. I wear my runners pretty much all the time, unless weather dictates I wear something a little more substantial (e.g. I'll wear my snow boots in the winter when it's cold). I have more formal leather shoes (a casual pair and a pair of Derbys) but I rarely wear them; I don't like them very much, I've never had a pair of leather shoes that I've found comfortable.

I always wear a wristwatch. I have a few, but as with the shoes I almost always wear my relatively inexpensive, extremely 'casual' Timex wherever I go. I have a much nicer Bulova but it's too heavy for my taste, and I'm always a little fearful of breaking it. I don't have very big wrists and that also makes the bigger Bulova fit poorly. (It was a gift.)

The only pieces of clothing for which I've gone to any great length in shopping for something 'nice' are jackets and coats. I used to wear a tattered old coat, and did so for many years. In the last few years I've picked up a rain jacket (grey, kinda looks like a short trench coat) and a wool winter coat (black, kinda looks like a pea coat but it's not cut the same way and it only has a single row of buttons).

(For the record right now I'm wearing blue jeans; a blue, merino wool, argyle sweater with a matching blue t-shirt underneath; my Timex watch, my Nike Air Pegasus 29 shoes, and white athletic socks. And boxer-briefs, which are quite frankly the only way to go when it comes to underwear in my opinion.)