User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    973 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Do you think being ugly should qualify as a disease?

I think being ugly should be classified as a disease. It can have a significant impact on an individual's wellbeing. If you're ugly you should be entitled to free plastic surgery, I think. I know beauty is "subjective," but there is an obvious objective standard to beauty as well.

- Up to 89% of ugly people kill themselves
    - it makes you get made fun of, and usually ugly people are socially isolated so they're the most likely to be the type to shoot up the school in the future.
    - Social isolation from being ugly can turn into avoidant personality, schzoid personality or even schizophrenia.
    - A lot of people say "looks don't matter," but science and evolution kind of disprove that for the most part.
    - Most people that would date a person 99.99% of other people wouldn't touch because of their appearance are usually freaks themselves.
    - They're less likely to do well in school and be successful in life because of the emotional turmoil that can coincide with bullying.
    - Also it's hard for them to be happy because they can't get dates and it's harder for them to have friends that will tolerate being around someone ugly (you know because people don't want their reputation to be brought down by having ugly people around them)
    I don't understand how being ugly isn't already considered a disease especially in today's society.
    Do you think being ugly should be classified as a disease? Given all that can come along with it?

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Oh lawd.

MBTI
    INFP

Your title is likely to provoke negative responses. What you are essentially saying seems to be:

- it sucks to be ugly
    - there are many negative outcomes for being ugly
    - it's (somewhat) 'treatable'
    - therefore it should be treated

Is that right?

WALMART

ya

food stamps and social security plx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Where did you get the figure on suicide?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Glycerine

Yes...

Being ugly is the end of the world and looks are the most important thing in life......

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Pressure makes diamonds.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

is this real life? wth
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by lunareclipze View Post
    I think being ugly should be classified as a disease. It can have a significant impact on an individual's wellbeing. If you're ugly you should be entitled to free plastic surgery, I think. I know beauty is "subjective," but there is an obvious objective standard to beauty as well.

- Up to 89% of ugly people kill themselves
    - it makes you get made fun of, and usually ugly people are socially isolated so they're the most likely to be the type to shoot up the school in the future.
    - Social isolation from being ugly can turn into avoidant personality, schzoid personality or even schizophrenia.
    - A lot of people say "looks don't matter," but science and evolution kind of disprove that for the most part.
    - Most people that would date a person 99.99% of other people wouldn't touch because of their appearance are usually freaks themselves.
    - They're less likely to do well in school and be successful in life because of the emotional turmoil that can coincide with bullying.
    - Also it's hard for them to be happy because they can't get dates and it's harder for them to have friends that will tolerate being around someone ugly (you know because people don't want their reputation to be brought down by having ugly people around them)
    I don't understand how being ugly isn't already considered a disease especially in today's society.
    Do you think being ugly should be classified as a disease? Given all that can come along with it?
    I don't know if this was started to poke fun of someone you know in school (because this is posted in the fluff zone), or if you are yourself feeling this is true of you.

@cafe
    I doubt anyone has looked at ugliness and social outcomes, let alone suicide. "Objective beauty", as far as I can tell is defined by symmetry of facial features. But one could use BMI, or perhaps similarity to the "average face" or "average body" in movies or magazines. BMI does correlate with suicidal ideation, but the rate is highest among females with BMI>40 and is at most 33%, from what I have read. This is about the rate of clinical depression among the general population. Suicide, in general, is fairly rare. Depression far less so.

Being picked on is real however. It sucks, and can leave a lifetime of scarring if it is a consistent and chronic problem through out childhood. Spending 12 out 17 years being on the receiving end of peer abuse cannot be good for anyone.

@lunareclipze
    If this is real, please seek help earlier rather than later.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Infinite Bubble

Disease implies abnormality. Like most things related to groups of people on a large scale, the Gaussian function applies to appearance. Ugliness isn't average by definition, but it is normal.