User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I never got the impression he was joking with people so much as prodding them for a reaction and as a way of venting his own feelings and issues, then pretending he was joking.

It's what a lot of people who THINK they get that game do, but who actually don't understand it. In England we call it 'takin' the piss' and it's a time-honoured tradition that you give as much as you want to get and riff with your mates.

What you don't normally do is push peoples buttons to the point of hitting an actual nerve, the whole point is to respect that people have limits, to do otherwise is hypocritical and unfair.

It has to be judged on an individual level or the entire system breaks and you become just another arsehole who can't help himself. It's interesting though, I took a lot of that type of shit when I was younger and took it far too seriously, I also gave it out too seriously as a child, as I grew older the opposite happened and now very little makes me react.
    Hmm. That's deep. I'll have to think about that.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Hmm. That's deep. I'll have to think about that.

Actually have you ever seen the film Scum? The character of Archer is one I identify with, although I wasn't as snarky as that, but in terms of a character who is arrogantly resisting, but still in a subtle manner. He is basically a more mature version of Bender. Well I use the term 'mature' loosely.

If you can stand to watch the entire scene here is one of my favourites:

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I never got the impression he was joking with people so much as prodding them for a reaction and as a way of venting his own feelings and issues, then pretending he was joking.

It's what a lot of people who THINK they get that game do, but who actually don't understand it. In England we call it 'takin' the piss' and it's a time-honoured tradition that you give as much as you want to get and riff with your mates.

What you don't normally do is push peoples buttons to the point of hitting an actual nerve, the whole point is to respect that people have limits, to do otherwise is hypocritical and unfair.

It has to be judged on an individual level or the entire system breaks and you become just another arsehole who can't help himself. It's interesting though, I took a lot of that type of shit when I was younger and took it far too seriously, I also gave it out too seriously as a child, as I grew older the opposite happened and now very little makes me react.
    ^ Really, really good post.

+1
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I think it might have more to do with looking aggressive and riling everyone up and getting people to sympathize with him in a covert "badass" disguise. Its hard to say if I do that or not. I think its possible, but its not something I'm consciously aware I do.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Actually have you ever seen the film Scum? The character of Archer is one I identify with, although I wasn't as snarky as that, but in terms of a character who is arrogantly resisting, but still in a subtle manner. He is basically a more mature version of Bender. Well I use the term 'mature' loosely.

If you can stand to watch the entire scene here is one of my favourites:

I find E6's are much more capable of stating their resistance in a peaceful manner. There's a difference between resistance and mutiny.

When I state my resistance its often taken as an attempt to take over, and the result is almost always war. It doesn't matter how quietly my voice is. They look beyond that. Often times my resistance is stated as, "this is what you're doing wrong and this is how you need to fix it." My bosses don't like the implication that I actually think I could do a better job than they could. I think with E6's its easily seen that they have no intention of taking over. But in my experience they HAVE tried to take down the authority figure without much need to replace it.

3's on the otherhand...

I find E6's are much more capable of stating their resistance in a peaceful manner. There's a difference between resistance and mutiny.

When I state my resistance its often taken as an attempt to take over, and the result is almost always war. It doesn't matter how quietly my voice is. They look beyond that. Often times my resistance is stated as, "this is what you're doing wrong and this is how you need to fix it." My bosses don't like the implication that I actually think I could do a better job than they could. I think with E6's its easily seen that they have no intention of taking over. But in my experience they HAVE tried to take down the authority figure without much need to replace it.

3's on the otherhand...
    I wasn't thinking enneagram or any typology theory to be honest, but interesting.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I wasn't thinking enneagram or any typology theory to be honest, but interesting.
    oh. well you said you identified with him so I assumed he was E6, and he kinda looks like it as well.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Thank you for validating me. I think most conceptions of 8's are just 8w9 stereotypes, and 8w7's are often stereotyped as extremely unlikable people. Things said like, "This is the roughest toughest point in the enneagram" and "they do not care how they come off" don't really seem to help much. I find that if I "don't care" what anyone thinks, I'm lying. And as I used to make women dance for my amusement before openning up to them, I never could have a good relationship.
    Agreed, I actually know six confirmed 8's. I may or may not have a chart of the types of everyone I know (who's aware of their type), hello 5 wing. Of those six, four are definitely 8w9, one (Dad) is definitely 8w7 and the last one I'm unsure of wing. Even if that last one is 8w7, that's equal to the number of female 8's I know (two). Even though there are a lot of variables unaccounted for (I'm no scientist), in theory that means an 8w7 could be as rare as a female 8. I'm sure that's at least a little skewed because it's based on my individual social circle, but if nothing else it's pretty interesting.

I have a target painted on my back. I wonder if that's what you mean? Also speaking of colossus, ever play the game "shadow of the colossus?" My life feels like I'm one of the colossi. I'm just some dude wandering out into a field to go watch the birds, then some ass hole runs up and puts a knife in my back to prove to himself he can do it, then suddenly the guy has the audacity to start apologizing to me and saying "I didn't mean for that to happen" after I reveal the pain and suffering he's created. No shit you didn't intend to actually see my hurt feelings you dumbass. (Often the case in my interaction with 6's which is why I hate most of them).
    I'm sure you do, but that's not what I meant. I think anyone who is great at something, or genuinely has confidence has a "target on their back". The difference is whether you care/let it bother you or not. I've felt targeted that way because being myself sometimes means sticking out like a sore thumb. Some people do not like that and treat me differently because of it. That's not my problem though, and I have people in my life that do accept and appreciate me for who I am. That's what matters, yes?

I'm not familiar with "shadow of the colossus", when I used that word I was thinking more the X-men variety. That's an interesting take on e6, though I'm sure you can see that expecting harm from all 6's is a generalization, and a potential self fulfilling prophecy. If anything, I feel like there is potentially more to the story.

I wonder if the blindspot that you're noticing, is just Ne and Fi. I'm also having difficulty convincing myself that 150+ naval officers were just WRONG by telling me I was arrogant, had a sense of entitlement, was overconfident.

Have you ever seen the movie battleship?

STORY OF MY NAVAL CAREER.

I was such a fucking stereotype. "You're a loose cannon!" "You're a danger to the ship!" "You're overconfident" "You're arrogant and reckless!" ALL OF THESE THINGS WERE SAID TO ME! lmao. I think ESTJ's just like to pretend they're in a movie at all times. It makes me wonder what kind of personality inspired the writing in that movie.

So yeah, in other words, movies and video games are inspired by people like me. *flexes*
    It could be just Ne and Fi, but I honestly don't know enough about Myers Briggs yet to say (heck, I'm still unsure of my type). Those naval officers were probably right in saying at least some of those things (we all have flaws), especially in a military environment. Haha, I don't think I'd advise any 8's to go that route.

Movies and video games are inspired by all different kinds of people bro, just saying.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

Have you ever seen the movie battleship?

STORY OF MY NAVAL CAREER.

I was such a fucking stereotype. "You're a loose cannon!" "You're a danger to the ship!" "You're overconfident" "You're arrogant and reckless!" ALL OF THESE THINGS WERE SAID TO ME! lmao. I think ESTJ's just like to pretend they're in a movie at all times. It makes me wonder what kind of personality inspired the writing in that movie.

So yeah, in other words, movies and video games are inspired by people like me. *flexes*
    How about the other way around? As in people are influenced by movies and believe that is a 'cool' way to react. Art informs as it is informed after all.

And I notice people tend to think in stories and archetypes of character, (yes even sensors!), have you ever noticed the repeated pattern across the globe in local communities of...say the lovable rogue, the town drunk, the person who is deemed a 'bit of a character'?

The last one is actually a term we use a lot here in the UK, not sure if it is native or not, but it sums up the thought process perfectly when we call someone a bit of a character, because that person is somewhat larger than life, they can be over the top to the point of surrealism yet still be a completely real person. Such an individual is usually the influence or even basis for characters in stories.

Brian Blessed is an example of a nationwide 'character' if you wanted a more well known comparison. Although the traits are generally considered to be extravert, perhaps showing how extraverts reflect the mold of their environment and their fluidity, introverts can also be characters, the eccentric loner is one type.......the lone striver and achiever is another.

So as I said, people think in stories and to me it seems to endlessly reflect off one another as we constantly feed into a cycle of informing one another and creating new paradigms of character.

This is why it is interesting when people point out a cliched character in a movie, the character might be a cliche, but then so are people, because the patterns repeat themselves.

Perhaps a more in-depth version of this thought process is what led Jung to create his psychological types?

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Brian Blessed banished Jar Jar Binks. So he's done at least one thing right. Then again, he also made him a general.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78