User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should freedom of speech on the forum be tolerated?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 46.15%
  • No

7 53.85%
123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Should freedom of speech on the forum be tolerated?

Or should we all be liberal and watch what we say for fear of others getting butthurt?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Awesome man, simply awesome.

garbage

We should be liberal.

.. liberal with what sort of speech we allow!!

garbage

Also, sorry bros, moved to Fluff

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What's wrong with getting your butt hurt? Sometimes a good smacking is just what the doctor ordered...!

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

Butthurt is a stupid, stupid word. I'd say "freedom of speech, except for the word 'butthurt'" should be tolerated.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Butthurt is a stupid, stupid word. I'd say "freedom of speech, except for the word 'butthurt'" should be tolerated.
    Agreed. However, I think my dislike for the word makes it all the more apt for describing particularly absurd reactions from certain people in a given situation.
    Because it truly is.. that fucking stupid.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    How prejudicial. My butt hurts even more, just reading this.

(Aside: Here at work, the phrase is "heartburn." as in, "Let's do it <this way>, we don't want to give them heartburn." If I hear the word "heartburn" again, I think I'm going to hurt someone's butt!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    (Aside: Here at work, the phrase is "heartburn." as in, "Let's do it <this way>, we don't want to give them heartburn." If I hear the word "heartburn" again, I think I'm going to hurt someone's butt!)
    I agree that heartburn is worse than butthurt. Let´s face it, if your butt hurts, chances are it´s eventually going to go away, but when your heart burns it tends to linger and may lead to a visit to the doctor, high tech pharmceuticals and possibly even suicide. Also some people like it when their butt hurts. I haven´t heard of anyone liking it when their heart does.

FTR I voted yes.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Not answering this for the same reason I didn't answer the misogyny poll. It's a leading question with no definition of the term in the OP.

I don't think we should censor stuff just because some people find it offensive, if that's what you mean. Especially because what is offensive is subjective, and some people just enjoy being dramatic for the sake of being dramatic. It sometimes seems like what some people consider "offensive" is more related to the individual's feelings towards the person saying it than the actual content of what they are saying, because what the "offended" consider "offensive" varies so widely from person to person. Perhaps I'm way off on that, but it's something I've observed both in real life, and on the internet.

I also think it's better to challenge ideas one disagrees with, rather than refuse to engage with them. I think political correctness largely failed in what it set out to do.

Some people define freedom of speech as, "I can say whatever I want, and you're not allowed to criticize me." I don't know how they arrive at this definition, but it's not uncommon.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78