User Tag List

Default Trait theories and personality per se

I was wondering about this, theorising about personality and personality traits, in its broadest sense.

Do you adopt or commit to a single personality theory and learn all you can about that or do you seek to familiarise yourself with a number of systems and cherry pick what's important to you? Why for? Is your reading of personality and trait theories descriptive, ie to see what is, or prescriptive, ie to see what ought or could be?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I familiarize myself with many different systems but go more in depth with some than others.

At first, it's descriptive. How well does the theory appear to match reality. Later when studying it more, I start seeing what ought to be in a theory.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    I familiarize myself with many different systems but go more in depth with some than others.

At first, it's descriptive. How well does the theory appear to match reality. Later when studying it more, I start seeing what ought to be in a theory.
    I first heard of the Ptypes theory, thought it was interesting but always considered those sorts of theories to be kind of popular magazine rail end of psychology, so wasnt that interested, then I got more interested with the integration of the idea in modern games, like fallout, which was similar to some of the first books I started reading when I was younger, the fighting fantasy gamebooks, and thought what it would be like to apply those models to real life, ie if you could identify and track and develop traits.

I tend to find most theories are descriptive rather than prescriptive though, a lot of the good developments upon things like MBTI that I've read have been developed by people on forums like this one, although I dont know if they've been ripping people off and for every good poster like that there's half a dozen others with marginally more information of a descriptive sort who'll try and use that to grandstand as more informed or even more intelligent than others.