User Tag List

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Why "laundry list"?

Where did we get the idiom "laundry list"? I could see maybe "grocery list", but who makes a list of their laundry? Where I'm from, doing your laundry pretty much consists of taking all of your dirty clothes and washing them. No list involved.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Perhaps (this is me just taking a guess, it has no particular pieces of information to back it up) people used laundromats and such in the past more ,and would have needed a laundry list to keep stuff sorted out. (Or maybe it's military or something, though I have even less of a clue how militaries handled laundry in the past.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This is based purely on my critical reading of Mrs. Tiggywinkle, but I'm guessing it's a list of laundry items and what the owner wants done with it, used by a launderer/ess.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

My guess is that it would be like a list of your laundry. Varied and diverse like your blue jeans to the leopard print g string.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

In Africa I had a laundry list--they didn't have DIY laundromats, they had HOYDLTBAWWRIPL* laundromats. So it was nice to see all your items didn't accidentally get mixed in with others' items.

*Hand Over Your Dirty Laundry To Black Africans Who Will Return It Perfectly Laundered
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

YES! I was right!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    In Africa I had a laundry list--they didn't have DIY laundromats, they had HOYDLTBAWWRIPL* laundromats. So it was nice to see all your items didn't accidentally get mixed in with others' items.

*Hand Over Your Dirty Laundry To Black Africans Who Will Return It Perfectly Laundered
    We had the same thing in Saudi Arabia, only instead of BA, we had FN.

Those lists were very comforting because you could verify all your stuff made it back. They were also pretty cheap and did a good job (they ironed stuff I have never ironed before or since), though most of the workers reeked of body odor.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    We had the same thing in Saudi Arabia, only instead of BA, we had FN.

Those lists were very comforting because you could verify all your stuff made it back. They were also pretty cheap and did a good job (they ironed stuff I have never ironed before or since), though most of the workers reeked of body odor.
    Lived in Saudi Arabia, eh? I was in Jeddah and Riyadh for 7 years! The compound life was incredible, but felt sort of like a golden cage...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Lived in Saudi Arabia, eh? I was in Jeddah and Riyadh for 7 years! The compound life was incredible, but felt sort of like a golden cage...
    I was in Riyadh for 18 days on a long business trip. It was an odd experience... I stayed in a 5-star hotel, we had drivers to take us around, and it seemed like the FNs served you constantly. In some ways it was really nice, but in some ways it felt more like some form of prison. They don't take any chances with the safety of foreign visitors, so there were guards constantly around the hotel compound and a police presence at all times. Internet access was spotty and poor, though, no matter where you went.

The food was awesome and comically-cheap, though, as was the hotel room. If it wasn't for the fact they are so restrictive about who they let in, where you can go, and for what reason, Saudi Arabia would be a pretty inexpensive international vacation location with a lot of interesting stuff to see... It'd be good for Americans to get a better understanding of the much-feared/hated Arabs, too.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.