User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Cutco

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Like Ivy said, they're not bad knives, but they're expensive. In that price range, you can get chef quality blades (like Masahiro/MAC/Wusthof/etc). That's all I was trying to say. I don't think your boss was deliberately trying to mislead you. Chances are good that she buys into the company hype, too. As far as that Discovery show goes, I'd have to see it before I could critique it.

Check this out.
    The weirdest thing about that page is all the "Oh, I am but a simple chef, not a salesperson at all, and I LOVE CUTCO" posts. And one commenter reported that a bunch of different Cutco supporters on his site were actually the same salesperson using different screen names. It's like Scientology.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I know that a full tang is always best and brass rivets expand and contract creating gaps for food particles to get in which isn't exaclty the most sanitary. I know that serated edged knives cannot be sharpened and that stainless steel, if poor quality can actually rust a little. I know that plastic is more sanitary than wood because wood is porus and absorbs moisture/bacteria.

...seriously you don't need the best knife in the world to cut your bagel...as long as your bagel can be cut what does it matter?
    I spent several years sharpening tools and such as part of my living, and I am an avid cook. A few months ago a local student approached me selling these very knives.

They are very expensive for what you get compared to other models that you can test at retail outlets. If I am dropping that kind of dough, I want to examine the product. She only had a few examples to show, and none of those was a practical model i.e. no chef's knife. The handles seemed as if they might get slippery.

A full tang is the preferred style. As for brass rivets expanding and contracting?...even if they did they can be easily peened back into a tight condition. Now wood, if not kept well oiled will expand and contract (especially if left to soak in the sink) against whatever rivets are fastening it to the tang and create a loose handle. High carbon steel is the best but tends to rust if not cared for...stainless steel can dull more easily. Serrated knives can be sharpened but it is tedious. You really only need a couple of decent knives to last a lifetime unless you are a professional. Put a knife to the sharpening stone and you can reaaly tell how the metal will fare. As long as a knife has tolerable steel and is well-ground a chef's steel is all that should be needed to keep it in good order.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    BTW this forum would not be an appropriate arena for a sales pitch, just in case anyone was thinking about it.
    I don't need a sales pitch, Ivy, because these knives sell themselves, Ivy. Just look at this exquisite handle. It's designed to offer superb balance and superior comfort while you cut anything from lettuce to little pieces of rope. The knife is so tough, you can use it to cut itself, but only if it's really depressed. Just kidding, that's a little joke my friends and I have. A-ha. Ha. Ha. No really, buythisfuckingknife, okay?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That reminds me a little of Why Can't I Sell Any Of These Fucking Bibles?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Lol did your guys' reps do any of those "cut the cheese" jokes when they were showing you the knives?