User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Cutco

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Cultco uses misleading and downright false info to sell their wares and convince people to become reps. The Henckles comparison is just one part of this. They're not bad knives but they're certainly not the best money can buy. (I had an acquaintance in college who tried to get me to join up and sell the knives, and failing that tried to sell me some. No thank you.)

BTW this forum would not be an appropriate arena for a sales pitch, just in case anyone was thinking about it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Cutco is better quality than those because Cutco's better than Henkles.
    In order for your claim to be true, you would have to establish that Henkles is better than those other blades (it's not). You haven't done that, nor have you established that Cutco is better than Henkles (it's not). If I'm going to spend that type of money, I want a higher quality steel, something like this. Sorry, that's the truth.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    In order for your claim to be true, you would have to establish that Henkles is better than those other blades (it's not). You haven't done that, nor have you established that Cutco is better than Henkles (it's not). If I'm going to spend that type of money, I want a higher quality steel, something like this. Sorry, that's the truth.
    Really? I thought Henkles was better than those.

Why's Henkles better than Cutco? Just the steel?

Oh well if your right then nevermind then, I was under the impression that Cutco was the best. Maybe it's not.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Cultco
    lol.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Lol my boss was tying to use her salesperson skills to get me not to quit.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Lol my boss was tying to use her salesperson skills to get me not to quit.
    Did she nod her head yes when she asked you a question to which she wanted a "yes" answer?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Really? I thought Henkles was better than those.

Why's Henkles better than Cutco? Just the steel?

Oh well if your right then nevermind then, I was under the impression that Cutco was the best. Maybe it's not.
    If you're in the business of selling knives, I would think that you'd want to know this stuff. Don't people ask about things like composition?

I used to sell cars. I memorized the specs for every vehicle we sold, along with the primary competitors. That wasn't fun (I'm not into cars, at all), but you'd have those car geeks come in wanting to talk specs, and if you didn't know your stuff, you'd look like an idiot.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If you're in the business of selling knives, I would think that you'd want to know this stuff. Don't people ask about things like composition?

I used to sell cars. I memorized the specs for every vehicle we sold, along with the primary competitors. That wasn't fun (I'm not into cars, at all), but you'd have those car geeks come in wanting to talk specs, and if you didn't know your stuff, you'd look like an idiot.
    Well I was informed on various aspects of knives...the blade, handle, tang and rivets but all that info. came from Cutco so of course Cutco's going to say that their blades, rivets, handles and tangs are the best.

I know that a full tang is always best and brass rivets expand and contract creating gaps for food particles to get in which isn't exaclty the most sanitary. I know that serated edged knives cannot be sharpened and that stainless steel, if poor quality can actually rust a little. I know that plastic is more sanitary than wood because wood is porus and absorbs moisture/bacteria. I also know that there was an episode on discoery channel about how the unique design of Cutco's blades rendered them the best in the world (most sharp that stayed sharp longest) but of course this was a tape that my boss showed us so it might have been fake...I dunno though...I'm not sure that she's capable of something that shady though...but perhaps she is.

Anyhow, none of this really matters unless you're a chef or something. I mean if the knife cuts it does it's job...seriously you don't need the best knife in the world to cut your bagel...as long as your bagel can be cut what does it matter?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Well I was informed on various aspects of knives...the blade, handle, tang and rivets but all that info. came from Cutco so of course Cutco's going to say that their blades, rivets, handles and tangs are the best.

I know that a full tang is always best and brass rivets expand and contract creating gaps for food particles to get in which isn't exaclty the most sanitary. I know that serated edged knives cannot be sharpened and that stainless steel, if poor quality can actually rust a little. I know that plastic is more sanitary than wood because wood is porus and absorbs moisture/bacteria. I also know that there was an episode on discoery channel about how the unique design of Cutco's blades rendered them the best in the world (most sharp that stayed sharp longest) but of course this was a tape that my boss showed us so it might have been fake...I dunno though...I'm not sure that she's capable of something that shady though...but perhaps she is.

Anyhow, none of this really matters unless you're a chef or something. I mean if the knife cuts it does it's job...seriously you don't need the best knife in the world to cut your bagel...as long as your bagel can be cut what does it matter?
    Like Ivy said, they're not bad knives, but they're expensive. In that price range, you can get chef quality blades (like Masahiro/MAC/Wusthof/etc). That's all I was trying to say. I don't think your boss was deliberately trying to mislead you. Chances are good that she buys into the company hype, too. As far as that Discovery show goes, I'd have to see it before I could critique it.

Check this out.

They are OK but not nearly as good as top-of-the-line Henkels. The Cutcos that I own are strangely balanced (is the handle too heavy?). I also can't cut a straight line with two of the bigger ones, the cuts lean to one side. Don't have this issue with my other Henkels knives.