First 34567 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Typology as a philosophical discipline thread:

We must wonder whether typology is even a logically consistent enough of a system to accurately order people into set psychological categorizations to begin with, let alone adaptable enough to account for the vast diversity of people in the world. Due to external factors and conditioning, perhaps one could act contrary to their true nature, their true personality, and even test as such. After all, people can indeed act differently than their natural personality would dictate, based on adjusting to the environment. Due to this lack of behavioral consistency, one can conclude Keirsey’s typology to be incomplete, which is based solely on behavior. If even a fully self-mastered man were to accomplish qualities stereotypically associated with different types, the foundations would further fissure. Perhaps though, the psychological states of people and the patterns of their reasoning as well as thought dynamics could be greater concepts from which to construct a typology, founded from a philosophical framework. Philosophy could be defined as a primarily conceptual and abstract study of the world, asking such questions as follows:
    1. Is it possible for the mind to divine free will, to control cause and effect?
    2. What is the nature of consciousness, the ways in which we see and perceive things?
    3. What is the ultimate nature of reality, the existential system designing all creation?
    4. What are the foundations of thought, the forge from which the mind constructs?
    These questions all address the mental makeup of an individual, and as such, these things are more difficult to directly detect. Typology is thereby a study of solidified patterns of thought, and one’s natural tendencies, not consistently contingent with environmental circumstances.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I think it's a shame we've chased SW off. People did tend to respond to his thought-provoking posts with vacuous appeals to emotion and knee-jerk reactions, or "funny" variations of TL;DR. T'was a pity.

You guys do realize he was a high school student when he was writing those posts, right? I think that's pretty damned impressive.

Also, Jeffster, I'm not exactly sure what scientific theory you're referring to that has as its thesis "it happened randomly by itself". I admit I have much more learning I intend on doing, but I'm not aware of a single scientific theory with such a thesis.
    I wasn't referring to a single scientific theory or any thesis. I'm an entertainer, not a debater. Another time, SW talked for a good 8 minutes straight in Vent on something or other and I waited patiently for him to finish and then said "i'm sorry, Bluewing, I was in the can for most of that, can you repeat it?" to a chorus of PM's/text chat comments all yelling at me. It was hilarious.

And I certainly had no intention of chasing SW off. I enjoyed listening to him.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Universal Feel? thread:

SolitaryWalker asks whether a universal moral law should be imposed upon all people, termed universal feel. There are 3 different arguments we can approach this with: if we must correct those who act wrongly, if there is no choice but to correct them, of even if wrong choose not to do so. Perhaps certain experiences throughout a person’s life have shaped what these values and what violates them are. Some may even divert greater focus on well-reasoned thought-experiments rather than value centered-thought. We must then see how creative and idiosyncratic visionaries construct their worldviews. Certainly many mystics across the globe have already conceptualized what many may deem impossible. Many who see themselves as right often try to change other’s opinions to match their own. These people will tend to think negatively of those who disagree. The accumulation of such feelings may lead to hostility. Due to these possible contingent consequences, an established system of ethics may be a mistaken idea.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Theorem of Feel thread:

SolitaryWalker wonders how desirable it is for people to believe in things that are not supported by an argument. He begins by describing the process of logic, saying it deals with chains of reasoning. The formalities behind logic seem like mathematical operations, a much more abstract and theoretical discipline than the dynamic and transformative discipline of cosmology, in which case I support the latter discipline while SolitaryWalker seems to prefer the former. One thing that both disciplines have in common though is that when they show us our short-comings, few are able to do so without simultaneously losing self-respect. However, even the most disciplined among us will wish for a brighter future, perhaps putting too much faith in beliefs like karma. This feel method has been historically a consistent craft of manipulation of others to their delusion and detriment, even in service of altruistic causes.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's I am an atheist but... thread:

Do we really wish to destroy the popular myths of society in order to enlighten and awaken people? Although I believe the truth should be accessible to everyone, some may be disturbed by new discoveries, and their emotions may override their rationality. Perhaps one such belief that may be dangerous to dispel is the anthropomorphized view of God. If one were however to sufficiently handle the truth, it could result in inner peace and less mistakes, since we would have proper knowledge and beliefs by which we can direct ourselves, since if we take the right actions, then good consequences should follow. As such, false beliefs could lead in the wrong direction. As of now, man obeys the laws of nature (perhaps the progressive development of man could change that). If then we wish to control the laws of nature, every man must receive universal enlightenment.

Does anyone have a list of SolitaryWalker's books? Thanks.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Essence of Human nature thread:

Sartre says we are defined by the choices we make and how we deal with the consequences, and that bad faith is our restraint from improving our circumstances. It would follow that we could counter all adversity through pure resolution of will, which SolitaryWalker says cannot be the case due to the limits of human power. He says Sartre’s false belief could have sprung from his own overestimation of individual freedom, as Sartre says all choices spring from within. SolitaryWalker next defines human nature as unalterable dispositions that inhere within our psyche. He says the strongest of such tendencies is the will to feel good; making an axiom that feeling good is the foundation of human nature. This drive for well-being likely led to the evolution of our faculties enabling human survival, such as walking, breathing, or language. Machiavelli is quoted as saying that people are fickle by nature and will stand by you if you are winning, but once you cease to be winning, they shall abandon you. It follows that people will only employ positive sentiments to their advantage, more often than not. The greatest fear man possesses is annihilation, and as such, will commonly go further than necessary to preserve his well-being. As such, many believe God to be a means of attaining eternal life. Such potential divine reward will inspire many men to act positively.

My heart ascended for a moment as I truly thought my Lord, my Yahweh, my Vishnu and my Xenu had come back into the realm of the mortal to crush the machinations of the maudlin magisters and the temptations of the torch-bearers of thought with his holy heel or his linguistic lightning bolt.

When my God spoke it was as if the shadows which write and writhe in the corners of the universe were exposed and all was illuminated, all was known. Ignorance had died an ignoble death and enlightenment had engulfed and enveloped everything from entropy to Elephants. How could one mind contain so much, how could such a small space be so full of so much brilliance, knowledge and charm and most importantly intelligence? Surely the laws of physics would not allow a larger mass to exist inside a smaller mass? It truly must be a God and the designs of the divine.

But O! Why my god could not enlighten with fewer words I cannot know. With his first step he writes a capital letter, with his second he writes five words and with his third he writes a full stop and upon doing so we enter paradise. Yet my Lord did not deem is so.

This thread only seeks to remind that he has not returned from the heavens to deliver and divulge. It is to be expected sadly. However it is most kind of you to bring his works back to the conscious domain. Us faithful apostles and disciples may marvel, reminisce and weep whilst we recite our lamentations of 99 tongues in honor of him. May the words woven long ago make their way to the confused cerebrums and the inquisitors inciting ignorance but most importantly to the poor souls of the new days who's only sin was the deprivation of the light of our Lord they so secretly long to see. May they be blessed this day.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Essence of Apriori thread:

SolitaryWalker asks if it is possible to have knowledge prior to experience. This could be possible if knowledge is innate, that is, if it is stored in our unconscious. If so, we could not only acquire knowledge, but also recover it. He defines knowledge as a true set of beliefs from which we can refer to choose. He also asks to ask to what degree one’s natural talents result from what is innate versus one’s influence from the external world. Newton saw the world as a dynamic machine of cause and effect, from which point A leads to B from which follows C to result in D and so forth. This view however cannot explain the source from which the first cause came, a question of how something could have come from nothing. Our minds translate the infinite realm into finite terms, which make such questions that impose limits incapable for explanation.