First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    My conscience is telling me not to bring up the thread where he rank-ordered the types from an evolutionary standpoint.

My eyes tell me that I just did.
    Whoa. Thanks for sifting through the typological kitty litter for THAT juicy morsel... I had completely forgotten.

Oh, Solitary. Where art thou now? I lost track of him after he berated me for not helping him find contracts for his university-press ghost-writing sweatshop.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's What is Philosophy? thread:

A question of great importance would be to clarify and define a universal definition for philosophy. I believe philosophy at its heart to be a quest for wisdom, though what one man sees as wise may be deemed foolish by another man. Though I do agree with SolitaryWalker that we must be careful about our perception of wisdom, and that in this quest we seek to advance our understanding, he holds understanding is the sole purpose, and that using philosophy to some other end is incorrect. Philosophy should also be a means of achievement, that is, it should make us grow in greatness. He is right however when he further asserts how philosophy transcends the empirical nature of science, and that a metaphysical assumption must first be made before it can be empirically validated via experiment. Again though, SolitaryWalker incorrectly asserts that philosophy is purely about truth, rather than also accomplishing our inner desires, as he says how our prejudices (ironically from his own prejudice) pollute the truth. Some things however transcend truth, and that the ultimate meaning will be found within, with what is important to us and our beliefs, as reality is indeed shaped by our focus. He is gravely mistaken in asserting how philosophy does not keep in perspective any of our personal ends (the funny thing is though that he says personal growth follows from our inquiries, so in essence, he contradicts himself, since all along then it did indeed have a personal element). I do agree on his next point about forcefully dispelling ignorance being secondary to advancing ideas and offering the opportunity to learn. Again though, he aims to get solely at the truth, in rejection of all passions and inner desires. If anything, he needs to learn the critical distinction between passion and attachment, passion impelling us forward, and attachment restricting us, since passion is a vision of what we wish to be, but attachment is a lingering fog clouding our vision. Passion if used properly can be controlled, whereas attachment binds us by its strings and limits our personal freedom. His argument for philosophy and its power of explanation is indeed superior, as he correctly asserts, to the religious book of dogma. He then says how religion deals with questions incapable for rationalization, such as what happens when we die, which he claims cannot be reached by metaphysics. Again I am in disagreement, as if anything, nothing possesses greater power than the illumination reason can cast upon our world. All in all, SolitaryWalker has brought up some very interesting points, but we cannot accept any such assertions without a challenge.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Why I do not believe in God thread:

SolitaryWalker begins with an axiom about the Universe being infinite, and somehow links this with rendering the existence of God impossible independent of our world’s existence, and then defines infinity as the continuous, incessant flow of entities. He also thinks not all things in this world are continuous, in spite of facts and evidence to the contrary (Newton’s Laws of Motion, an elaborate cause-and-effect cycle from which everything must always follow from a previous state of being and necessarily transform into another state of being, a dynamic system always proven to “continuously” occur, these laws also very possibly applying in basic principle within the non-physical realm). This would, according to SolitaryWalker’s classifications, render all parts as comprising the same entity, and if so, it would follow that God exists in the infinity of all things within this world. At least SolitaryWalker detailed the implications of what God’s existence could mean, though because of his blunder regarding the continuum principle, he concluded (falsely) that God does not actually exist (and he is most likely right about a personal God being invalid, but he also rejects the existence of a God who manifests the infinite creative power of his mind within all things, even though his axiomatic reasoning described how such a God could exist). He says how a first cause that could have rendered our world’s existence possible must have been infinite, that is, it must have followed from the flow of a previous entity, and that entity another one, and so forth without arriving at an acceptable first cause (and if this entity is God, then we would ask who or what made God). But perhaps the point of greatest confusion would be to even arrive at a definition of what God is, whether he is a Creator, an infinite divine mind, or whatever else. SolitaryWalker says this world is an unconscious representation of the infinite realm, and that the finite limits of the human mind by which we are all designed translate the infinite into finite terms, that is, our minds only perceive a dim shadow of the much more luminous world above and beyond the current dimensions of our comprehension. SolitaryWalker says either God exists in this world, or not at all, and that no evidence in favor of his existence has been found, claiming it irreconcilable with the laws of nature. This philosophical world SolitaryWalker has created for himself contains restrictions of his own making, further evidenced in his assertion that the universe is a closed system of causation, which makes the laws of nature possible. Very interestingly though, he recognizes that this would mean if God existed, all things could be altered with his will, and then further says how the realm of the infinite could flow into the finite realm our minds perceive. Though SolitaryWalker concluded how the infinite intellect of God cannot exist outside of our known world, the conclusion I arrived at is inescapable – the higher levels of creation are liberated of all limitations.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Apparently the rising price of gas is also tied to the price of carriage returns. Why doesn't Obama DO something??

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Typological kitty litter. Excellent.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Apparently the rising price of gas is also tied to the price of carriage returns. Why doesn't Obama DO something??
    spaceswillbenextowaitdamnitalreadyhappened

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    spaceswillbenextowaitdamnitalreadyhappened
    Itsthemayanapocalypsethecalendarmustvebeenoffbytwo weeksnooOoOoOoooOooOoOOOOO!!!!!!!!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Itsthemayanapocalypsethecalendarmustvebeenoffbytwo weeksnooOoOoOoooOooOoOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    halpmehicarntreedtehpnutbuttertehskyisfallinfallin fallincurseyoumayans

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Didn't know the guy. His posts are the densest I've ever seen. The level of intellectual integrity is pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    My conscience is telling me not to bring up the thread where he rank-ordered the types from an evolutionary standpoint.

My eyes tell me that I just did.

Welp
    Hahaha.

Well, let's just say he'd better stick to philosophy.

I guess even the smartest people go full retard once in a while.

One could argue they go full retard even more often.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's What I believe thread:

SolitaryWalker asks the question as to why people even ask big questions in the first place, such as, what is the meaning of life, what is truth, what is virtue? He postulates people do so to seek self-affirmation and comfort in a hostile world, and that everything we do is necessarily inspired by selfish motives. Surely though, the quest for enlightenment should transcend such things, as if life is just all about fulfilling our own comforts, then we would indeed be in a limited position. If anything, I would think we always need to be on the leading edge, as we push the artificial constraints our own minds have been contained by to the limit, the tenacious drive towards achieving complete self-mastery being far superior to seeking only mere satisfaction with our current conditions. SolitaryWalker claims whether it is a rationalist seeking truth, an artisan seeking entertainment, a guardian getting things done, or an idealist accommodating others, that it is all simply what makes them happy. I hold though that happiness is insufficient in advancing our own ends, since when we are happy, we are content with letting things be, without the motivation to change and transform our world into altered and improved states. But worse than anything so far said, SolitaryWalker arrogantly asserts how the artisan temperament only cares for energized entertainment and concrete activities without seeing what he perceives to be the big picture, and of course, he is wrong. Though, as a generalization, he is right about the interests of the artisan, his whole idea of such endeavors being inferior and short-sighted is a testament to his own ego, since he views what they do as unimportant and insignificant. All people play important roles in the progressive development of humanity, which SolitaryWalker would realize if he actually saw the big picture. Artisans are constant in their creations, just as guardians are dedicated to their duties, or how idealists are inscrutably awakening their imaginations, and the rationalists relentlessly focusing their reasoning, each of these feats coming together to produce the diverse and dynamic system of humanity, ever increasing in accomplishment towards the echelons of infinity. The next points risen however on our sense perceptions and how they present themselves in a finite way to the brain indeed seems to limit for us what can be experienced. Perhaps though there is an escape, as SolitaryWalker goes on to say that the internal world and its imaginative prowess may actually open the window to outside realms incapable for experience within the physical, and if so, it follows that only through intuition can the infinite be reached, as we look through the off limits zone behind the fence. I am in complete agreement with his conclusion on the meaning of life that it is the quest to achieve the highest degree of perfection possible. It is by perfecting our inner being that we will find full liberation from the finite world, perfection, to add my own opinion, consisting of a state without restrictions, as SolitaryWalker ends this section saying that our task in life is open-ended and aimed at infinity, and that this epic quest will never come to closure, as we strive for the unachievable.