User Tag List

First 123

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    SLC to LA/SD is like a 10 hour trip. No problem, we've done that in a day, no point getting a hotel to split up 10 hours of driving.
    Actually, it's well over twelve in the direction we went, and San Diego is an additional 2 hours beyond Los Angeles. It's a distinctly longer trip.

But DC to Dallas is double that, and I don't think doing it in 3 days (remember, one of the 4 days is Graceland) is at all slow. Especially since his kids are little.
    Less than double.

This is a silly discussion, but, you're implicating that stopping for the night every 5.5 hours is reasonable, while stopping every 10 is not.

Regardless, he knows what's best for his family, and I will admit that the trip we made here was too quick for the lack of sleep I had.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    If you have to do it that way it's one thing. We've done some forced march-style moves ourselves, but I can't see putting little kids through that kind of ordeal if you don't have to.
    Hardly an ordeal. I can make 1200 miles in a single shot if properly rested and driving alone. I probably could have made 1400-1500 had I not made it to my destination before that point.

Also, my parents didn't need to do their move in one day, they just did.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    This is a silly discussion, but, you're implicating that stopping for the night every 5.5 hours is reasonable, while stopping every 10 is not.

Regardless, he knows what's best for his family, and I will admit that the trip we made here was too quick for the lack of sleep I had.
    It is a silly discussion; I'm still not sure why you brought it up. I don't see how I'm implying that stopping every 5.5 hours is reasonable. He's not stopping every 5.5 hours. His proposed driving days are 8 hours, 6 hours, and 7 hours, with a one day rest in the middle. I think that's plenty, with little kids especially. I would not want to do two 10-hour driving days back-to-back with little kids. Sure, you could conceivably do it that way, but why?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hardly an ordeal. I can make 1200 miles in a single shot if properly rested and driving alone. I probably could have made 1400-1500 had I not made it to my destination before that point.

Also, my parents didn't need to do their move in one day, they just did.
    Wow. It's an unusual five year old who can be stuck in a car seat for the better part of twelve hours and not mind at all.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Wow. It's an unusual five year old who can be stuck in a car seat for the better part of twelve hours and not mind at all.
    Ages: 5, 7, 9, 12. Or was it 4, 6, 8, 11? I don't recall exactly.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Ages: 5, 7, 9, 12. Or was it 4, 6, 8, 11? I don't recall exactly.
    That's close to the ages mine were four years ago, only it would have been 4/5, 6/7, 8/9, and 10/11. Call me a softie if you want to, but I wouldn't keep them on the road for more than eight hours in one day unless I had to.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's close to the ages mine were four years ago, only it would have been 4/5, 6/7, 8/9, and 10/11. Call me a softie if you want to, but I wouldn't keep them on the road for more than eight hours in one day unless I had to.
    I'd do one really long day (up to 12 hours I'd say), but not two back-to-back. If I had a 20 hour drive ahead of me I'd just make it a road trip and take it easy, stop wherever we felt like stopping, get there when we get there. Assuming there was some wiggle-room with the arrival time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

My kids are pretty good little travelers and we did some pretty big road trips with them, but when the road trip follows packing and will be followed by unpacking, that just makes everybody a little cranky before you ever pull out of the drive way.

My bunch did best hitting the road at 10AM, making a 30-60 minute stop for lunch, then going until 6PM. I liked stopping at rest stops instead of gas stations for potty breaks because rest stops only have vending machines, not shelf upon shelf of candy and crap for my kids to beg me for. My kids almost go into a kind of trance on the highway and don't fight or whine that much. It's in town running errands that makes me want to commit filicide.

I hope your move and your trip goes great and you love your new job, home, and town.

it is true that hectic times right before the trip make it much harder to drive for long stretches. we are currently staying with family while they are working on our house, hardly a scenario for a comfortable start of the trip!

we will probably start driving at 5am and hope they'll sleep a little in the car.
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It is a silly discussion; I'm still not sure why you brought it up.
    'Cause he knows better than three parents how to handle their own kids 'cause he was on this one car trip once. KNOWS.

Anyway, I'm moving back to Texas (Austin, not DFW this time) next month. We'll feel each other's pain. When it hits 110 in the shade and 100% humidity, I'll wave northward and send cool thoughts your way. Unfortunately, I'll not have anything but thoughts myself, so I may be greedy.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by meshou View Post
    'Cause he knows better than three parents how to handle their own kids 'cause he was on this one car trip once. KNOWS.

Anyway, I'm moving back to Texas (Austin, not DFW this time) next month. We'll feel each other's pain. When it hits 110 in the shade and 100% humidity, I'll wave northward and send cool thoughts your way. Unfortunately, I'll not have anything but thoughts myself, so I may be greedy.
    if i don't deliver on a pool in the back yard, i will be a dead man. in that case, i will not even have thoughts to send you. at least i'll decompose quickly ...
    INTP/5w4 sx