User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    If you come near Charlotte, hollar out at me.
    we (i.e. my esfj wife) just planned the trip down:

day 1: Wash,DC-Knoxville,TN
    day 2: Knoxville,TN-Memphis,TN
    day 3: Graceland! (i think we need an elvis emoticon!)
    day 4: Memphis,TN-Dallas,TX

this will be challenging with two young kids though ...
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That is so awesome that your only planned stop on the way down is to Graceland.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

The east is so small that four days seems rather excessive. I made it from SLC to San Diego in one day, even with multiple cars and my grandfather, who needed to make a pit stop fairly often.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    The east is so small that four days seems rather excessive. I made it from SLC to San Diego in one day, even with multiple cars and my grandfather, who needed to make a pit stop fairly often.

it's 1321 miles. mapquest gives it 20 hours.

we would be doing it in three days, with a full day off in between. seven hours per day is not hard with two drivers but i have no tolerance for the whining taking place in the back seat. we could drug them though!
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, you've never travelled with kids, huh?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jasz View Post
    we are looking for a place in plano so i will be coming down 35 or 75.

in the end, all roads are crap and i can't stand sitting in a car. but that's just what it is, untill they build corporate hide-outs in the rolling hills of scotland!

at this time i am taking all single-lane backroads to arlington, va because the entire 66 into DC is HOV (how'd'ya like them apples!)

The commute here can be a pain, but it is still not as bad (I hear) as California or DC. From Plano, you have either the Tollway or 75 to head south into Dallas ... so if you can situate close to either one of those, your commute time will be shortened a lot. Of course, the Tollway will cost you about $3.50 each way every day. If you can work off hours, it also helps the commute. My last job in Dallas, I worked 11am-7pm and missed most of the traffic. Made the difference between a 90 minute commute and a 45 minute commute.

Looking forward to meeting you.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My kids are pretty good little travelers and we did some pretty big road trips with them, but when the road trip follows packing and will be followed by unpacking, that just makes everybody a little cranky before you ever pull out of the drive way.

My bunch did best hitting the road at 10AM, making a 30-60 minute stop for lunch, then going until 6PM. I liked stopping at rest stops instead of gas stations for potty breaks because rest stops only have vending machines, not shelf upon shelf of candy and crap for my kids to beg me for. My kids almost go into a kind of trance on the highway and don't fight or whine that much. It's in town running errands that makes me want to commit filicide.

I hope your move and your trip goes great and you love your new job, home, and town.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yeah, you've never travelled with kids, huh?
    Los Angeles -> Salt Lake was one day with: 4 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cars, 1 moving van, 4 drivers, 2 breaking down along the way, and it was all done in 1 day.

On later inspection, I'd call the one he's doing a two-day trip, because it's just short of twice the distance. Had my mother been less timid with her car, we could have done the trip here in 10-12, rather than 15, including lunch, gas, toilet, and dinner breaks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Los Angeles -> Salt Lake was one day with: 4 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cars, 1 moving van, 4 drivers, 2 breaking down along the way, and it was all done in 1 day.

On later inspection, I'd call the one he's doing a two-day trip, because it's just short of twice the distance. Had my mother been less timid with her car, we could have done the trip here in 10-12, rather than 15, including lunch, gas, toilet, and dinner breaks.
    SLC to LA/SD is like a 10 hour trip. No problem, we've done that in a day, no point getting a hotel to split up 10 hours of driving. But DC to Dallas is double that, and I don't think doing it in 3 days (remember, one of the 4 days is Graceland) is at all slow. Especially since his kids are little.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If you have to do it that way it's one thing. We've done some forced march-style moves ourselves, but I can't see putting little kids through that kind of ordeal if you don't have to.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers