User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

@Halla74 wins this fight by referee stoppage you're like Klitscho out there fella...Game over!

I've had personal experience of Doctors not giving a fuck and someone dying as a result. The person was 26. In my own experience they have also been dismissive and I had to fight hard for them even to listen to my symptoms in some cases. So I too am "paranoid" about things like organ donation and I do not trust that every single doctor will always behave to the highest standards.

to be fair I am live the UK where there is the crappy NHS and customer service is non-existent. Even people from 3rd world countries are shocked by the shitty treatment given by the NHS.

I can't speak for the US though. I used to live in a country with private healthcare system and the treatment was 100 times better.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    You do realized that "harvesting" is part of the organ donation process, right?
    As in, you die, and then at some point, instead of trying to revivie you, you are pronounced dead.
    As far as I know, there must be no signs of eletric activity in your body for a good amount of time in order for you to be declared dead, so...

Once that happens , it is my understanding that you are kept on ventilators/IVs/etc. to keep your body's fluids in motion and organs oxygenated; it's even possible that you would be revived (as a "vegetable")
    after flat line + 12 minutes (when brain damage set in) so the medicaql staff at the facility have time to systematically remove everything they can that is potentially usable in another person/other people.
    The sound of being hooked to a ventialtor after revival with an AED post vegetative state is fucking creepy to me.
    ...it's not like you would truly be revived, given that your consciousness would be irrimediably lost.

Also, considering the demand for organs in the health care market, I cannot help but think that it would affect a physician's judgement as to how to care for you at the end, as in be a deciding factor in whether they go all out to keep YOU alive, or give it the old college try, and then hook you up post mortem to be systematically cut apart until your scraps are thrown into a hospital incinerator.
    Well, I personally have never seen in the news any kind of "polemic" discussion regarding this issue. I would suppose that any phyisician could be very quickly accused of homicide if found guilty of "not trying enough" due to high demand for organs. Plus, if they're just hooking up my dead body and my consciousness is lost forever, I would personally not find it creepy.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

garbage

Go @DisneyGeek!

edit: oh wait, I didn't read the rest of the thread. Yeah, harvesting organs and stuff and all that

@DisneyGeek: Were there any complaints from the patient?

(It is close to Halloween and all.... )

Javo
    Zombie Patrol

I dissected a preserved cat in my anatomy class this summer. That was creepy. A little bit cool, but quite a bit creepy. When I start PT school, the first semester you dissect a human cadaver. That is going to be even more unsettling.

your resident asshole

@gromit - PT school, huh? That's pretty awesome. I wish you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Have you ever been in the room when one of your children was undergoing a spinal tap, watching every move of every doctor and nurse in there, and after seeing your child experience a toxic allergic reaction to the propofol administered to her, and then watched the doctors and nurses completely miss what was going on - having to tell them how to do their jobs (a) Siphon her nose, the propofol is oozing out of it, (b) somebody give her an oxygen mask now her blood O2^2 levels are below 95%, (c) You back off with that needle, she's coughing and if you make an error of an 1/8 inch in the trajectory of that needle's path you can paralyze her = THIS PROCEDURE IS OVER; REVIVE HER and DISENGAGE NOW. The entire staff looked at me, and then looked at the head doctor, and he agreed with me 100% and ordered the staff to do as I had commanded.
    I'm sorry you had to go through this, but it proves nothing. Sure sometimes doctors aren't going to know what they're doing, but this has nothing to do with purposely letting a patient die. If a doctor is even slightly suspected of malpractice, he can easily lose his license.

I never said they would be.
    Get off your pulpit.
    I was merely making a statement and was not trying to put words in your mouth. Stop being so defensive.

No need to fly into a rage there, buddy. Calm down and take off your tinfoil hat. I'm not asking for a debate.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm sorry you had to go through this, but it proves nothing. Sure sometimes doctors aren't going to know what they're doing, but this has nothing to do with purposely letting a patient die. If a doctor is even slightly suspected of malpractice, he can easily lose his license.
    Nothing you've written proves anything.
    What do you know about the process of getting a physician's license revoked?
    I assure you it takes more than an accusation.

A few years ago I was the foreman of a jury deciding the verdict on a medical malpractice case.
    The trial took a week out of my career.
    The hospital spent a shitload of money defending the Obstetrician.
    The jury unanimously voted that although the death of the family's baby at birth was a horrible event to bear, that none of the medical staff on trial did any wrong.

Once again, I speak from specific examples of life experience, and you quote excerpts from a pamphlet.

And, in the future, you might not want to try and be a smart ass ala combining a sympathetic remark with an assinine statement.
    Neither I, or anyone in my family gives a damn what you think.

I was merely making a statement and was not trying to put words in your mouth.
    IMHO, your statement sucked.

Stop being so defensive.
    Don't tell me what to do; you're not God.

No need to fly into a rage there, buddy.
    I'm not enraged at all, simply commenting on your ignorant and naieve remarks.

Calm down and take off your tinfoil hat.
    Tinfoil hat?
    Really?
    If I'm wearing a tinfoil hat, then your head is wedged deeply inside your anus.

I'm not asking for a debate.
    Lucky you.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

your resident asshole

@Halla74 - What the hell is your problem? Quit being so rude and hostile. I said I don't want to debate. You've already made your opinion clear, however silly I may find it.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

So today I was able to assist in dissecting out the muscles and tendons of the front lower legs of a cadaver and some of the tops of his feet. I also watched the professor take off an entire leg, which took quite some time. Usually the teacher's assistants do this sort of thing, but there were barely any people there so I got to help. It was awesome.

Just wanted to brag a bit.
    Wow.

At first I was all like
    "Ewww!!!"
    But, now I'm all like
    "That's really cool".

That's really cool.

your resident asshole

@ilikeitlikethat - Haha thanks.