User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Glycerine

That's awesome!!! What class was it for? On a somewhat related note, I have a piece of cadaver inside of me... well my foot.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Meh. That's okay. You're not alone in feeling that way. A lot of people are the same. In fact, when my mom took me to get my driver's permit, she was surprised at how quickly I said I would be an organ donor. I don't believe she is one because she feels the same way as you. She didn't really want me to be an organ donor either.

I think that when people have the opportunity to actually see what happens when you donate your body, they generally feel more excited about doing it. Maybe I'll go brain dead and people can take my major organs to live just a few more years. Maybe students can study me when I'm dead so they can make great strides in the medical field.

Although, some of the places your body can go can be quite gruesome. Have you ever heard of "body farms?" These are where people study the process of human decomposition. I can't imagine working at a place like this. (Not to try and scare you off further from body donations. )

Thinking about it more, I don't much mind. I've been meaning to change my status to an organ donor, but I also never do anything I intend to lol. Perhaps I am shy of being the center of attention, even in death. lolz.

Is there any way to be excluded from such things? I suppose I'd be all for a little research, but to let my body just rot.... Let me retain some of my dignity!!

Haha. I support this.

Excellent, I will PM you with the details on how to contribute funding

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Meh. That's okay. You're not alone in feeling that way. A lot of people are the same. In fact, when my mom took me to get my driver's permit, she was surprised at how quickly I said I would be an organ donor. I don't believe she is one because she feels the same way as you. She didn't really want me to be an organ donor either.
    I felt a little weird the first time I considered being an organ donor, then thought, "Why am I so hung up on this?" and now I have no regrets, it's just a given that I'll stay signed up as one. If someone else can benefit from my spare parts after I'm dead, more power to them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    That's awesome!!! What class was it for? On a somewhat related note, I have a piece of cadaver inside of me... well my foot.
    Sweet! What part of your foot is from a cadaver? A tendon?

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Thinking about it more, I don't much mind. I've been meaning to change my status to an organ donor, but I also never do anything I intend to lol. Perhaps I am shy of being the center of attention, even in death. lolz.

Is there any way to be excluded from such things? I suppose I'd be all for a little research, but to let my body just rot.... Let me retain some of my dignity!!

Excellent, I will PM you with the details on how to contribute funding
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but being an organ donor is a bit different that donating your entire body to science. With organ donor status, your viable organs and parts are given to people in need. Donating your entire body requires more paperwork and is something you actively seek out. So there isn't really a way you could end up on a "body farm" unless you arrange for it.

But I don't exactly know where you live, so I suppose it could be a bit different wherever you are. It is the way I described in the US, and I'm assuming most of Europe is like this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I felt a little weird the first time I considered being an organ donor, then thought, "Why am I so hung up on this?" and now I have no regrets, it's just a given that I'll stay signed up as one. If someone else can benefit from my spare parts after I'm dead, more power to them.
    Glad you went through with it.

WALMART

@DisneyGeek

No, I'm sure you are correct. I don't separate my thoughts very well, I just kinda roll with whatever comes to my mind, lol. If I don't stop to think what I'm thinking about....

I'll probably never donate my body. I'll stick to letting someone have my eyeballs.

Glycerine

Sweet! What part of your foot is from a cadaver? A tendon?
    A bone graph.. I think.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

You do realized that "harvesting" is part of the organ donation process, right?
    As in, you die, and then at some point, instead of trying to revivie you, you are pronounced dead.

Once that happens , it is my understanding that you are kept on ventilators/IVs/etc. to keep your body's fluids in motion and organs oxygenated; it's even possible that you would be revived (as a "vegetable")
    after flat line + 12 minutes (when brain damage set in) so the medicaql staff at the facility have time to systematically remove everything they can that is potentially usable in another person/other people.

The sound of being hooked to a ventialtor after revival with an AED post vegetative state is fucking creepy to me.

Also, considering the demand for organs in the health care market, I cannot help but think that it would affect a physician's judgement as to how to care for you at the end, as in be a deciding factor in whether they go all out to keep YOU alive, or give it the old college try, and then hook you up post mortem to be systematically cut apart until your scraps are thrown into a hospital incinerator.

Better hope a local, powerful person or that person's relative doesn't need corneas/a heart/kidney/ or lungs...

I am not an organ donor.
    I gave blood regularly until being blacklisted after living in Europe during the mid-70's to early 80's became a disqualifier (potentail exposure to mad cow disease).
    I'd even consider donating bone marrow if I'm not blacklisted from that due to my life being lived in Germany when younger, as an Army brat.
    I'll grow my hair our long and get my head shaved several times throughout my life and donate my hair to organizations who use it to make wigs for cancer patients.
    But there is no way in hell I'm going to let my body go through "harvesting" worse, wind up keeping some asshole like Dick Cheney alive.

Stem cells are the future.
    I think it is much more realistic for society to focus on stem cell research, and to create therapies where the sick organs of the living can be "transformed" into healthy organs via injection of embryonic cord blood stem cells (NOT those from abortions - in order to keep the fucking zealots at bay) + maybe some living tissue/cells of a healthy compatible organ into tthe sickly organ, so that the stem cells and healthy cells coul (hopefully) integrate into the sickly organ and begin to heal it via overtaking the sickly tissue with that newly grown from a future stem cell based procedure.

I can't in good conscience be an organ donor at this point.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

You do realized that "harvesting" is part of the organ donation process, right?
    As in, you die, and then at some point, instead of trying to revivie you, you are pronounced dead.

Once that happens , it is my understanding that you are kept on ventilators/IVs/etc. to keep your body's fluids in motion and organs oxygenated; it's even possible that you would be revived (as a "vegetable")
    after flat line + 12 minutes (when brain damage set in) so the medicaql staff at the facility have time to systematically remove everything they can that is potentially usable in another person/other people.

The sound of being hooked to a ventialtor after revival with an AED post vegetative state is fucking creepy to me.

Also, considering the demand for organs in the health care market, I cannot help but think that it would affect a physician's judgement as to how to care for you at the end, as in be a deciding factor in whether they go all out to keep YOU alive, or give it the old college try, and then hook you up post mortem to be systematically cut apart until your scraps are thrown into a hospital incinerator.

Better hope a local, powerful person or that person's relative doesn't need corneas/a heart/kidney/ or lungs...

I am not an organ donor.
    I gave blood regularly until being blacklisted after living in Europe during the mid-70's to early 80's became a disqualifier (potentail exposure to mad cow disease).
    I'd even consider donating bone marrow if I'm not blacklisted from that due to my life being lived in Germany when younger, as an Army brat.
    I'll grow my hair our long and get my head shaved several times throughout my life and donate my hair to organizations who use it to make wigs for cancer patients.
    But there is no way in hell I'm going to let my body go through "harvesting" worse, wind up keeping some asshole like Dick Cheney alive.

I think it is much more realistic for society to focus on stem cell research, and to create therapies where the sick organs of the living can be "transformed" into healthy organs via injection of embryonic cord blood stem cells (NOT those from abortions - in order to keep the fucking zealots at bay) + maybe some living tissue/cells of a healthy compatible organ into tthe sickly organ, so that the stem cells and healthy cells coul (hopefully) integrate into the sickly organ and begin to heal it via overtaking the sickly tissue with that newly grown from a future stem cell based procedure.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    A bone graph.. I think.
    Oh that's neat. I have no idea how that stuff works. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    This is a very popular myth. However, doctors are going to work very hard to save you when you're dying, organ donor or not. Not to mention, the doctors that do organ transplantation won't be the ones who are working on you. You'll have doctors caring for you whose only goal is to keep you alive. Not every patient is going to be a candidate for organ donation either.

When organ donor patients die, they even go through extensive testing to make sure you're really dead.

You sound a bit paranoid.

-Halla74
    Well sure stem cells on the future. Scientists are working on this sort of thing right now, but it's silly to just let people die until we figure out how to save people with stem cells. It's not going to happen for a while, but there are so many people that are saved by organ donors every year.

What do you mean by this bolded sentence? Are you saying that you disagree with organ donation?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

This is a very popular myth.
    Laughable for you to be so bold!

Who are you to say what is myth and what is fact?

How old are you?

What is your job title?

What is your level of accredidation with regard to academic degrees and professional certifications?

How many years of professional work experience do you have in a clinical medical setting?

Have you ever been hospitalized?

Have you ever undergone an inpatient, serious hospitalization?

Have you ever been in the room when one of your children was undergoing a spinal tap, watching every move of every doctor and nurse in there, and after seeing your child experience a toxic allergic reaction to the propofol administered to her, and then watched the doctors and nurses completely miss what was going on - having to tell them how to do their jobs (a) Siphon her nose, the propofol is oozing out of it, (b) somebody give her an oxygen mask now her blood O2^2 levels are below 95%, (c) You back off with that needle, she's coughing and if you make an error of an 1/8 inch in the trajectory of that needle's path you can paralyze her = THIS PROCEDURE IS OVER; REVIVE HER and DISENGAGE NOW. The entire staff looked at me, and then looked at the head doctor, and he agreed with me 100% and ordered the staff to do as I had commanded.

However, doctors are going to work very hard to save you when you're dying, organ donor or not.
    You sound SO naieve.

No shit, doctors AND nurses are going to be working very hard to save you, but they are human, and sometimes make very bad judgement calls.

Not to mention, the doctors that do organ transplantation won't be the ones who are working on you.
    I never said they would be.
    Get off your pulpit.

You'll have doctors caring for you whose only goal is to keep you alive.
    How do you know?

You are preaching from a utopian, theoretical perspective.

You have no clue as to what the forced motivations of medical practicioners are with regard to minimization of exposure to legal risk, AND performing services that are covered under your insurance - BOTH of which get in the way of people getting the best care that is available EVERY DAY.

Not every patient is going to be a candidate for organ donation either.
    Really? Just like I can't donate blood anymore because the Red Cross changed their donor criteria between when I turned 18 and when I turned 28?
    Wow, what a surprise!
    No shit.

When organ donor patients die, they even go through extensive testing to make sure you're really dead.
    Wow, that makes me feel SOOOOO much better.

You sound a bit paranoid.
    You sound clueless.

Well sure stem cells on the future. Scientists are working on this sort of thing right now, but it's silly to just let people die until we figure out how to save people with stem cells.
    Agreed, but I choose to not be an organ donor for my own reasons.
    If anyone else wishes to be an organ donor - go for it; I hold nothing against you.
    To each their own; it's just not for me.

It's not going to happen for a while, but there are so many people that are saved by organ donors every year.
    Yep.

What do you mean by this bolded sentence? Are you saying that you disagree with organ donation?
    Read above.
    I said it's not an option I choose for my body.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes: