MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Where I Work

This is what it's like where I work.

I emailed a guy at the other work location with a setting for his computer. The setting was a number like 37.77. But for some reason he didn't change it. His explanation was that the setting only allows one number after the period. So I set it for 37.8. From then on I only sent him 10th of a digit adjustments because it's damn confusing I guess to have to think mathematically.

Some guys keep slamming the latch open on the time clock door, and gradually breaking the latch. The time clock needs an enclosure with a door in order to keep the dust off the glass (it's a hand scanner). The clock sits in the room where I usually do my work, so I listen for the slamming of metal on metal and then try to talk them out of abusing the latch when I catch the person. Now I see why workplaces have so many detailed rules. Close the door, don't slam the latch, don't leave your brains at home, etc etc. I hate rules.

Out of 100 employees, I'm one of the two who don't punch the clock.

These guys love to abuse and break equipment. An electrician came into the office one day and said he was shocked at the lack of common-sense on the line, the amount of abuse to the equipment, and all the repairs he has to make every week. Of course he's talking about guys who like to drive down the center of the road while tossing out empty beer cans. I guess that's just part of the charm of living in this area?

A worker came in the office to punch the clock, and told me that if he has to learn too much it makes his head explode.

The owner/manager is a complete computer lamer. But when doctors come around who think they are computer literate, I often end up having to fix shit they broke on the computers. I don't know which is worse, a complete lamer or someone who is just smart enough to be dangerous. Oh, guess what, they switched to Macs because they need a computer that tells them what to do instead. To me, that's like a stunt pilot who uses nothing but autopilot with a program that controls all his moves.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

What is jour job? I can't tell from the description other than it has something to do with mechanics and computers as well as retarded employees.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    What is jour job? I can't tell from the description other than it has something to do with mechanics and computers as well as retarded employees.
    I don't do anything mechanical, just computers and networking, data acquisition, things like that. I've built computers here and installed surveillance cameras, the time clock was my idea. Biometric hand scanners are great for eliminating "buddy punching," and I highly recommend using them. When I first came here 8 years ago guys were punching the clock for each other all the time using a simple punch clock. I say "guys" because we only have 3 female employees, and two of them are the owner's daughters. But they have to punch in and out too. And it's part of my job to add punches in the computer for his kids when they forget to punch. So yes, buddy punching still exists, and I'm the buddy. I told a guy I would add his punch for a $20, and he paid me lol. But only one time.

The owner who is also my LANDLORD has stored a boat propeller in my garage for 4 years. I think he forgot about it (I hope), so yesterday I sold it for scrap. I got $6.40 out of it. I didn't think it was pawnable.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Discovering the buddy punching 8 years ago was also me. After I installed the cameras I found that sometimes a different employee was working in that spot than the one who appeared in the time clock record. The manager at the time told me that some guys would actually pay somebody else to work in their place, and that person would punch for him and work as if it was him. The biometric clock eliminated that problem.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

had to google what punch clock is, i thought they only used them like 50 years ago. when i was working in a factory, we had these electronic keys which we could open doors and "stamp" ourselves in and pay for food in cafeteria(same technology is used in pretty much all companies, since it allows automatically to calculate work hours etc and boss can see in real time who is at work and who is not). why do you need biometrics? it doesent really offer any advantage to electronic keys and costs more, just violates the personal rights, if someone doesent want to give you their finger prints or what ever biometrics you use, since they can be hacked and get shit loads of crap on them or otherwise abused by who ever wants to(and yes people do try to steal fingerprints and other biometric info, just like they want credit cards or what ever id info).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I don't do anything mechanical, just computers and networking, data acquisition, things like that. I've built computers here and installed surveillance cameras, the time clock was my idea. Biometric hand scanners are great for eliminating "buddy punching," and I highly recommend using them. When I first came here 8 years ago guys were punching the clock for each other all the time using a simple punch clock. I say "guys" because we only have 3 female employees, and two of them are the owner's daughters. But they have to punch in and out too. And it's part of my job to add punches in the computer for his kids when they forget to punch. So yes, buddy punching still exists, and I'm the buddy. I told a guy I would add his punch for a $20, and he paid me lol. But only one time.
    Why would you build your own computer? Can you get a punch clocks on eBay or something? Like an antique?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Why would you build your own computer? Can you get a punch clocks on eBay or something? Like an antique?
    A punch clock can be cheated, a biometric clock can't be cheated. (It can, if both cheaters show up for work and one buddy-punches for the other; but that's less convenient for the cheaters because the buddy-puncher still has to show up at the job.) Biometrics uses hand morphology.

But why buddy punch in the first place? It makes no sense unless someone is coming in late. These guys were just exchanging shifts and then paying each other to work in their place. (???)

I built computers because the owner needed a new computer and he asked me to do the job. They were for the work office and for his home office.
    @INTP "costs more, just violates the personal rights, if someone doesent want to give you their finger prints or what ever biometrics you use, since they can be hacked and get shit loads of crap on them or otherwise abused by who ever wants to(and yes people do try to steal fingerprints and other biometric info, just like they want credit cards or what ever id info)."

There is no security issue with hand morphology. What would a hacker do with a "hand shape" which is really nothing but a digital code used to represent the shape? I haven't looked into electronic keys but I'm sure they would constantly get lost.

Yes it's expensive but what matters is that the boss loves it. He uses the clock information to deduct money from paychecks of chronically late employees and especially those who forget to punch.

As long as making money is somehow involved, the punch clock system will never go out of style in this place.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

A punch clock can be cheated, a biometric clock can't be cheated. (It can, if both cheaters show up for work and one buddy-punches for the other; but that's less convenient for the cheaters because the buddy-puncher still has to show up at the job.) Biometrics uses hand morphology.

But why buddy punch in the first place? It makes no sense unless someone is coming in late. These guys were just exchanging shifts and then paying each other to work in their place. (???)

I built computers because the owner needed a new computer and he asked me to do the job. They were for the work office and for his home office.
    @INTP "costs more, just violates the personal rights, if someone doesent want to give you their finger prints or what ever biometrics you use, since they can be hacked and get shit loads of crap on them or otherwise abused by who ever wants to(and yes people do try to steal fingerprints and other biometric info, just like they want credit cards or what ever id info)."

There is no security issue with hand morphology. What would a hacker do with a "hand shape" which is really nothing but a digital code used to represent the shape? I haven't looked into electronic keys but I'm sure they would constantly get lost.

Yes it's expensive but what matters is that the boss loves it. He uses the clock information to deduct money from paychecks of chronically late employees and especially those who forget to punch.

As long as making money is somehow involved, the punch clock system will never go out of style in this place.
    But why "build" a computer? Maybe you mean software build and not building the computer itself.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    But why "build" a computer? Maybe you mean software build and not building the computer itself.
    I think I see where you're going now. Why not buy one off the shelf?

At the time it may have been cheaper to go that route. But since I am tech savvy I can be very convincing, especially since the boss and family are not tech savvy and they're looking for someone they can trust. So it's easy to explain to them what the spec labels on shelf-bought computers are telling them, and what they aren't telling them. I can show them how computer manufacturers boost the visible specs that everybody looks at (e.g., processor speed), and yet install a cheap, crappy 2 MB video card that most people don't think about in terms of speed (whether it involves opening programs or viewing webpages). So I promised them the works, and that's what I delivered.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The owner/manager is a complete computer lamer. But when doctors come around who think they are computer literate, I often end up having to fix shit they broke on the computers. I don't know which is worse, a complete lamer or someone who is just smart enough to be dangerous. Oh, guess what, they switched to Macs because they need a computer that tells them what to do instead. To me, that's like a stunt pilot who uses nothing but autopilot with a program that controls all his moves.
    I'll be honest with you, I think we're going to all be controled by a vast AI soon, most of the historical and contemporary ideologies are priming people for this.