User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who do you hate?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ray Barone (Everybody HATES Raymond!)

    10 55.56%
  • George Louis Costanza (Seinfield)

    6 33.33%
  • Dr. Ross Eustace Geller, Ph.D (Friends)

    9 50.00%
  • Michael Stivic (All in the Family)

    10 55.56%
  • Dr. Zachary Smith (Lost in Space)

    5 27.78%
  • Kill 'Em All!

    5 27.78%
  • Just Heart (MBTIc)

    3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 34

  1. #21
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I don't like/watch any of the other shows mentioned, especially Everybody Loves Raymond. His whininess is further heightened by the fact that the wife character is a petty bitch. How that dynamic qualifies as entertainment is beyond me.
    Because Jews and there constant complaining is viewed as entertainment!?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

  2. #22
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Costanza is the only funny one listed in the "pole", but I'd probably hate him if he wasn't fictional.

    I don't like/watch any of the other shows mentioned, especially Everybody Loves Raymond. His whininess is further heightened by the fact that the wife character is a petty bitch. How that dynamic qualifies as entertainment is beyond me.
    Humour is frequently about laughing at misfortune, and these characters suffer misfortune from often a decent starting point (family, money, western developed country - especially characters like Ross in Friends). So we can laugh as they mishap, because it's them, not us. Now, personally I think it sucks, but it seems to work for many!

    Humour being such a complex and subjective form of entertainment, that one man's idiot is another man's genius.

  3. #23
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Sorry Edahn, I voted for Ross.

    When are you gonna dance for us?

    And, I agree with Mort, I love Costanza and Dr. Smith! Dr.Smith was so hilarious! And you know there were un/unintentional camp gay overtones.

    It's interesting how no one brought up type though, because people gen. associate 'NF' with whininess, but I think most of the whiny characters listed are actually NT...they're like *scientists* even.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  4. #24
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,713

    Default

    Jim Carrey's characters tend to whine a lot now that I'm thinking about it. Yeah I know that's not on the poll.

  5. #25
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Jim Carrey's characters tend to whine a lot now that I'm thinking about it. Yeah I know that's not on the poll.
    Any archetype of the whiney male stock character should be added to this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I don't like/watch any of the other shows mentioned, especially Everybody Loves Raymond. His whininess is further heightened by the fact that the wife character is a petty bitch. How that dynamic qualifies as entertainment is beyond me.
    Yes, thank you for pointing that out. She's intolerable and yet it seems women saw her character as a pure victim of Ray's immaturity. Ugh. I used to see this show when over at my friend's house or visiting my in-laws. People actually think it is funny and enjoy it very much.

  6. #26
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    I actually don't mind Debra, Ray's wife, but mainly because Patricia Heaton is somewhat likable despite the yelling and nagging the character has to do. If anyone else had played her, I doubt I'd have liked her.

  7. #27

    Default

    I just had to vote for the insufferable Meathead. He's so unlikable that he makes me want to agree with Archie.

    It's strange, but I notice that there is a great deal of animosity out there for "Everybody Loves Raymond". For a show that did so well in the ratings for so long, a lot of people seem to hate it. I thought it was hilarious and would say that it was arguably the best sitcom on television during its run (with the possible exception of Arrested Development).

    I'm now waiting for the "damning with faint praise" comments
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  8. #28
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I just had to vote for the insufferable Meathead. He's so unlikable that he makes me want to agree with Archie.

    It's strange, but I notice that there is a great deal of animosity out there for "Everybody Loves Raymond". For a show that did so well in the ratings for so long, a lot of people seem to hate it. I thought it was hilarious and would say that it was arguably the best sitcom on television during its run (with the possible exception of Arrested Development).

    I'm now waiting for the "damning with faint praise" comments
    I don't like 'Everybody Loves Raymond', but some of my family does (the Ss) so I've been forced to watch it on occasion. I thought Frank was the only likable character on that show. Other than 'All in the Family', I haven't watched any of the other shows enough to form an opinion on the characters, except for Seinfeld. Costanza is alright.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #29
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Do you like or hate the following characters:

    Ray Barone (Everybody LOVES Raymond! )
    I have to flee the room because of that guy. He ticks me off so badly I can't stand him. Half the time I'm thinking "Like an awesome chick like Deborah would STAY with your pathetic mother-worshiping self?!"

    BLEH!!!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  10. #30
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    How could you forget Luke Skywalker?!
    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    He is not whiney enough and he was still a boy when he whined. Boys can whine, men can't.
    I don't know... I think I disagree with you on this one, Heart. Luke may not be a continual whiner, but his whiny moments are just horrible - and I always assumed that he was in his early 20's at the time he first movie started, so he gets no "still a boy" consideration from me. Some examples:

    • "But I wanted to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters" (when his uncle tells him to do some sort of work on the farm)

    • "Nooooooooooooo Nooooooooooo Nooooooooooooo!" (when he finds out that Vader is his father)


    I've seen the movies quite a bit, and those scenes still make me cringe every time I see them. Just... ugh. He turns a bit passively arrogant and self-righteous near the end, but the whining is what gets me about him. Even if he's not a continual whiner, those moments are SO bad that they're hard to forgive.

    Other than that, I said Raymond, Ross, and Meathead. I've never seen Lost in Space, so I can't say. I agree with Tallulah on Ross, though - he was okay near the beginning of the series, but became completely insufferable later. George was just funny... I think it was because there was never really any question that he was "good and suffering" - he was meant to be laughed *at*, and it worked.

    I will say that even though I didn't like all of these characters, I did enjoy a few of the shows that they were on, in general. Not that I'd go out of my way to watch any of them (except Seinfeld), but they were better than most of what's on TV, anyway (mostly due to other characters that I liked).

Similar Threads

  1. Ms. Male Character
    By WALMART in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 09:46 AM
  2. National Character?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
  3. Which Lost character...?
    By Totenkindly in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 03:47 PM
  4. Rarest male type?
    By Economica in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO