User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

@Red Herring Yeah it works but it still makes you do all the typing and stuff while it just gets to sit there and be a hypothesis.

I mean, it doesn't even put itself together really, you have to make the hypothesis too. So I'm not really sure how much science actually does work. Maybe the hypothesis staying where you wrote it down and not changing itself is some kind of work... like.. holding itself together... and staying legible...

Wait. Does science even work? I think its making the people do all the work actually.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Red Herring Yeah it works but it still makes you do all the typing and stuff while it just gets to sit there and be a hypothesis.

I mean, it doesn't even put itself together really, you have to make the hypothesis too. So I'm not really sure how much science actually does work. Maybe the hypothesis staying where you wrote it down and not changing itself is some kind of work... like.. holding itself together... and staying legible...

Wait. Does science even work? I think its making the people do all the work actually.
    Here's a pic of a hippo crab

On a different note, work is movement under the action of a force. Science has moved over the ages under the influence of both internal and external forces, ergo science works! Ta da!!!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    1. How many clouds are in the sky?
    2. How high does the sycamore grow?
    3. How many molecules are in a piece of toast?
    4. How many moles are in 100 m2 of dirt?
    5. What were the middle names of every soldier in the American Civil War?
    6. Do you know the Muffin Man??
    7. What is the terminal velocity of an unladen swallow?
    8. What did the 5th. most beautiful woman in the 17th. largest tribe in Western Europe dream on the night of April 17, 5000 BCE?
    9. Why is a raven like a writing desk?
    10. How many Republicans could fit on the island of trash floating in the Pacific Ocean?

Extra Credit: How many philosophers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Proof that science doesn't have all the answers.
    1: indefinite, always changing
    2: it varies :P
    3: depends which piece of toast, none of them have the exact same amount of molicules
    4: which 100m2 of dirt? are we talking france? texas? new england? old england? a place where moles generally live?
    5: [insert every male middle name that was around at that point in time here, then repeat some of them until you have 3 million]
    6: why yes, and he's a pretty cool dude :3
    7: african or europian? (yes, i saw that movie :P)
    8: beauty is a matter of opinion, not a concrete fact, each person will have a different answer because nobody is talking about the same person
    9: there is no answer
    10: let's find out XD

how'd i do?
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Only one cloud made of contuously varying densities of vapor.

High enough to touch whatever it is above it.

I can't answer this. I don't know if this includes the crust.

In a Catholic cemetary in NJ, given the dirt is 2 meters deep, there is e at least 1 mafia informant.

The answer is X, X being the middle name of every soldier in the American Civil War.

Not personally.

9.8 m/s² in a vaccum

8. What did the 5th. most beautiful woman in the 17th. largest tribe in Western Europe dream on the night of April 17, 5000 BCE?

She dreamed of tipping over an aurochs skull filled with grass seed. The grains spilled on the ground to the same pattern as the stars in the sky. Disprove me.

They both have an inky black quill upon their tops.

10. How many Republicans could fit on the island of trash floating in the Pacific Ocean?

Not sure, let's keep tossing them in and find out.

This question does not have an answer. If you start chronologically, all the dead philosopher's corpses and bones will completely fill the room with inert mass.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Buttermilk toffee.

Cut a hole in the ozone layer to make more room.

Burnt.

Prarie dogs.

Names that came before the first and last names.

Blueberry.

Speed at which it dies on impact.

They were all ugly.

Poe said so.

Hairy butts in Speedos crammed onto beachfront property.

There is no light bulb.

Kirk Cameron.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Question far too vague. Physically define "sky" as a certain airspace over a certain surface at a fix point of time and it's doable

Question too vague. The name "sycamore" refers to several different types of trees. Some of them averaging about 20 meters, others growing up to 50 meters. Phrase the question in a more precise manner and you'll get an answer. If you are referring to a specific sycamore tree, that can easily be measured.

Question too vague. You'd have to give a precise amount of bread and say what kind of bread. I did find this however:

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answ...ic.php?id=1871

Question too vague. "Dirt" is extremely unspecific, what is that dirt supposed to consist of? How thick is the space we are talking about, since you only gave twodimensional data?

There should be registers. Are you including medical personal, music corps, etc?

Yes, I know the muffin man,
    The muffin man, the muffin man,
    Yes, I know the muffin man,
    Who lives in Drury Lane

Would that be an African or a European swallow?

http://style.org/unladenswallow/

Vague question, 5th most beautiful by what criteria? That was a long night, at what point in time exactly? If you follow the weird theories of Julian Jaynes, nothing at all, because he claims consciousness wasn't fully developed back then. The answer might be difficult to research (no writing system to record the dream, maybe she painted it at a wall but didn't date it?) but with time travel and a brain scanner it should be possible to tell at least roughly what is going on in her mind.

Both consist of organic matter, i.e. mainly carbon? Otherwise I'd ask you to prove that a ravenn is indeed like a writing desk and then I would look into the why (but you would have done much of the work for me).

Proably none. That "island" is not a real island or raft but rather an elevated desity of floating trash, mostly suspended particles. You can't stand or sit on it. Estimates of size range from 700,000 square kilometres (270,000 sq mi) to more than 15,000,000 square kilometres (5,800,000 sq mi). So you would have to give me a specific point in time and define the borders of that area. Then you take the average surface occupied by an adult white middle class North American male and do the math.

Alternative answer: All of them. All registered Republicans would easily fit on that surface, since it is probably twice the size of the continental USA.

Those philosophers I have personally met would not screw it in themselves but get somebody else to do it, so none. That is, however, only anecdotal evidence, furthr studies are needed.

Science, bitches, it works!

It can't answer all the questions (due to the subjective or vague nature of many questions) but it can sure answer a lot of them!!!
    Fascinating! But the questions were so vague that no definite answers are possible; so you still fail. And so do I.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    On a different note, work is movement under the action of a force. Science has moved over the ages under the influence of both internal and external forces, ergo science works! Ta da!!!

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    5: [insert every male middle name that was around at that point in time here, then repeat some of them until you have 3 million]
    That would be a valid method! Brilliant. If the question is simply asking for a list of names; but it would be impossible to attach each of them to the corresponding person, as many weren't registered. So the question further becomes, official soldiers, or every person who fought?
    Extra credit point, based on my subjective value judgments. :P

how'd i do?
    Since only exact literal answers count, you get...4/10.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

That would be a valid method! Brilliant. If the question is simply asking for a list of names; but it would be impossible to attach each of them to the corresponding person, as many weren't registered. So the question further becomes, official soldiers, or every person who fought?
    Extra credit point, based on my subjective value judgments. :P

how'd i do?
    Since only exact literal answers count, you get...4/10.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post

Who said that science has all the answers?

Science is about a way of approaching observable phenomena in the universe: make observations, develop a hypothesis, test that hypothesis, refine it, etc. Some of these questions could be answered with science (or math), if the parameters were more clearly defined, but some have nothing to do with science/math.