User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Default Which do you take less seriously? vent or the forum?

@YWIR made a comment about vent being more fun and playful the other day and the forum allowing more serious discussion (even though most don't utilize it for that purpose). I think vent allows you to see the social response between the types in a more dynamic/real-time fashion. What about yourself? Which do you take less seriously in terms of helping you "figure out" the motivations of the various types on the forum?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I respond to information at the level I wish to respond to at it's time whether on vent or the forums. It would be the same.

Ginkgo

Right now I'm spending more time participating on the form, which means I've been taking it more seriously. I think vent conversations come off as more light-hearted and less dependable for producing thoughtful discussion and I would rather let conversations flow freely there without my super serious discussion face. Too often, I find myself emotionally "charged" to the point of being prickish in fast paced personal interactions as of late; while vent exchanges permit you the change to blow off steam and let the dust settle quickly, I'd rather contain myself in a more constructive environment to express my thoughts and feelings.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    I respond to information at the level I wish to respond to at it's time whether on vent or the forums. It would be the same.
    Yeah, qualitatively speaking, we're bound to simply take one seriously in a particular situation, so as far as single instances are concerned, "more" or "less" doesn't apply.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Yeah, qualitatively speaking, we're bound to simply take one seriously in a particular situation, so as far as single instances are concerned, "more" or "less" doesn't apply.
    Ah, so we're talking about if vent was a television screen and typologycentral was a museum.

Ginkgo

Ah, so we're talking about if vent was a television screen and typologycentral was a museum.
    I wasn't really trying to say that but I'm sure the analogy works. I'm just saying that the object of "seriousness", whether it be typoc or ventrillo, is just that. The closest we can get to qualifying seriousness is by quantifying how much time we've spent on each in the cases that both were available to us. This means that "seriousness" is just as fluid as the time that elapses, though it holds no bearing on what we concern ourselves with at a particular moment in time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I wasn't really trying to say that but I'm sure the analogy works. I'm just saying that the object of "seriousness", whether it be typoc or ventrillo, is just that. The closest we can get to qualifying seriousness is by quantifying how much time we've spent on each in the cases that both were available to us. This means that "seriousness" is just as fluid as the time that elapses, though it holds no bearing on what we concern ourselves with at a particular moment in time.
    Absolutely. And we can play with this by being serious at certain situations. You could be serious here, or serious there or serious at the laundry, or serious when the garbage men takes the garbage, or serious when people are dancing or serious when you drink juice.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Interesting. I see vent as a dance club and typoc/written communication as less genuine perhaps like... a political rally?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Ginkgo

Absolutely. And we can play with this by being serious at certain situations. You could be serious here, or serious there or serious at the laundry, or serious when the garbage men takes the garbage, or serious when people are dancing or serious when you drink juice.
    ಠ_ಠ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Interesting. I see vent as a dance club and typoc/written communication as less genuine perhaps like... a political rally?
    Do you really see vent as a dance club? You tend to try to have serious conversations over 80% of the time you're on vent. Do you have serious conversations over 80% of the times you visit a dance club?
    ಠ_ಠ
    *critical hit*