User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Why do so many discussions end with petty squabling about minor details?

    It seems to me to be a trend repeated over and over, almost everywhere. A person has a perspective. Another person disagrees with that perspective. Then, instead of coming to a mutual conclusion on the discussion, it just dissolves into a back and forth of petty points. It becomes more about not losing and not about coming to an understanding. No one wants to shift their perspective. But, if that's the case, why even talk to one another?

    It's just sad, that's all.

    You don't have to be right. Not always. It's ok to be wrong. It won't kill you.

  2. #2
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    It seems to me to be a trend repeated over and over, almost everywhere. A person has a perspective. Another person disagrees with that perspective. Then, instead of coming to a mutual conclusion on the discussion, it just dissolves into a back and forth of petty points. It becomes more about not losing and not about coming to an understanding. No one wants to shift their perspective. But, if that's the case, why even talk to one another?

    It's just sad, that's all.

    You don't have to be right. Not always. It's ok to be wrong. It won't kill you.
    It's not sad. It's happy!

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    It's called "learning."

    Okay other times it's called having an emo melt down, I'll admit, but you can actually clarify thoughts and concepts and even change opinions through debates.

  4. #4
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Why do so many discussions end with petty squabling about minor details?
    Because people lose sight of the original purpose of the discussion. They get lost in the trees, and forget the forest.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #5
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Because people lose sight of the original purpose of the discussion. They get lost in the trees, and forget the forest.

    how do you forget a forest you're currently lost in?




    OP: yeah. i find myself almost consistently conceding my position for the sake of A) not being wrong -and- B) not having the willpower to continue

  6. #6
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    how do you forget a forest you're currently lost in?
    Far too easily, it seems. You lose sight of the big picture, the map you looked at yesterday, and all you can see is the tree in front of you.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  7. #7
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Far too easily, it seems. You lose sight of the big picture, the map you looked at yesterday, and all you can see is the tree in front of you.


    Must be a sensing type person's problem =D

  8. #8
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Must be a sensing type person's problem =D
    Doubt it.

  9. #9
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    As long as you keep the dialogue open, reasonable people can work through anything.

    Right?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  10. #10
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Doubt it.

    Honestly I have zero to little knowledge on psychology. Boring stuff. That's what I get for trying to make jokes.

Similar Threads

  1. Why do so many adults read YA fiction?
    By BadOctopus in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-09-2015, 06:12 PM
  2. Why on earth do so many people interfere with other people's lives?
    By Comeback Girl in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 01:11 PM
  3. Replies: 113
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 12:33 AM
  4. Replies: 135
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO