User Tag List

Permabanned

Default Silencism, my new philosophy

Simply put, silencism is the belief in the absolute goodness of silence.

Only speak when you have something meaningful to say.
    Never speak if you don't.

Take life as it comes. Never judge it. Never demand anything of it. Take what it gives you.

If a question doesn't deserve to be answered, if you are unable or unwilling to answer it, then don't.

Those worthy of your non silence are those who understand your silence.

Never again shall I speak without purpose. Even if this means I shall never speak again.

Join me in my silence.

Permabanned

so, necroing this thread...
    is the silence a rousing endorsement of my new philosophy?
    or did it go by unnoticed?

i'm so confused...

also, me at 22 lol. what was that guy thinking?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

How do you know for sure if what you have to say is meaningful? Haven't you ever found yourself mistaken about that, saying something you feel is meaningful but then getting convincingly corrected on it? To solve that, I think it's okay and good to let subjective meaning qualify as "meaningful" when you're considering whether to say something, but not assume that said subjective meaning will always survive objective processing. If it doesn't, it was still worth speaking up because it shows you are willing to contribute.

What do you think about thinking something you're quite sure is valuable to the situation, but not saying it - whether out of fear, apathy, or otherwise? That omission is what I think of when I think of silence. I find this morally dicier than blurting something that is meaningless. In fact, being expected to have a justifying purpose ready literally every time one opens their mouth feels a little draconian in that it would silence a lot of fun and play along with the noise you aim to eliminate, although its a good guideline to follow in more or less moderation depending on the situation.

tl;dr - know the right time for silence and the right time to say your piece, and have the courage and discipline to follow through with that knowledge. And other times, it's excessive to worry about these things, so relax then.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Being silent just makes you lonely, because everyone in the whole world hates people who are silent. According to literally everyone but me, if you are silent you deserve to be ostracized. This is the worst idea I've ever heard of, no offense to you.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Simply put, silencism is the belief in the absolute goodness of silence.

Only speak when you have something meaningful to say.
    Never speak if you don't.

Take life as it comes. Never judge it. Never demand anything of it. Take what it gives you.

If a question doesn't deserve to be answered, if you are unable or unwilling to answer it, then don't.

Those worthy of your non silence are those who understand your silence.

Never again shall I speak without purpose. Even if this means I shall never speak again.

Join me in my silence.
    Perhaps you don't go far enough. It may not be enough to silence your voice, you may need to also silence your inner talk.

Silencing our inner talk is more difficult than to silence our outer voice.

One of the reasons it is difficult to silence our inner talk is that we are simply unaware that we constantly talk to ourselves subvocally.

However self talk is revealed by almost imperceptible movements of our voice box which can be recorded on video.

So what happens when our self talk stops?