User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default What are you in the closet about?

Okay the pretentious thread makes me think of how I feel I have to hide my interests from the people around me in offline life and wondering if anyone else feels this in their life.

Can be about ANYTHING.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like history, classical music, opera, poetry, literature, philosophy... most of these things I always feel pressured to keep hidden unless I am here alone. My family and my in-law family (even the person I live with!) usually make snarky comments and I get sick of listening to it. The only place I really talk about these interests is online.

I also hide my romance novels and disco/electro-funk/80sR&B!

What do you hide?

MBTI
    ISTx

I think "guilty pleasures" is the phrase you're looking for.

I really don't have any... Surely there's something but I don't know off hand.

MBTI
    INFP

Not to sound like the quintessential INFP, but I hide my pain. Pain from relationships especially.

heart on fire

Yes, I also try to hide emotional pain from others, I tend to spill it online for some reason. Why I think this is any safer, who the hell knows?

I also despise that it bothers me that these people make these comments. I should just not give a damn, but it affects me. I hate this in myself.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm the same with keeping emotions hidden, particularly negative stuff. I tend to share a bit more online than IRL, but still - most of it is hidden.

In terms of guilty pleasures, most people IRL don't know I smoke. And the people I work with don't get to see quite how geeky/nerdy I really am (they already think I'm a geek, even with hiding most of it from them).
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INFP

I hide my deep interests from everyone. I don't want them to be devalued. I am very protective over the things I hold to a high regard.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I like to garden, I spend most of my time either on online forums or reading, and I have no friends. There's other stuff, but that's what I'm willing to share.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    I think "guilty pleasures" is the phrase you're looking for.
    Errr, no I don't.

I don't feel *guilty* about these things, in the same way I would about eating a whole bag of jelly belly... I would not feel moved to hide that from anyone else in particular, just would feel I had made a pig of myself.

I am talking about are there things that others around you devalue (thank you, Dana, that is the exact right word) and it makes you want to hide them from others after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I hide my deep interests from everyone. I don't want them to be devalued. I am very protective over the things I hold to a high regard.

Yes, exactly, this is what I am talking about.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I tend to hide hurt feelings as much as possible.

Because sometimes I think it's just my problem, or I know the other person didn't mean it, or I figure telling them will just start a fight, or I feel I should be stronger and not so sensitive about things.

(Poker face! Don't let them see you sweat! Actually, the next step up from poker face is being able to laugh nonchalantly and pretend you're completely fine. That one really fools them.

Quirky stuff? Oh, I like some really cheesy music -- like Bread and John Ford Colley and all that late 70's / early 80's smooth listening stuff. I mean, I REALLY like it. (My first album I ever bought was Barry Manilow's greatest hits. On tape.) Some Earth Wind and Fire is awesome too.

I also had a lot of Christian contemporary music from the early/mid-80's. I loved The Imperials and Glad and the Archers and... yeah. The oddest thing after me moving into the apt and being alone in March? I started digging out all my old xian albums that I had, mostly Amy Grant, but including Farrell and Farrell and other things people would laugh at, and playing it all again. And again.

For some reason, it's resonating... I think it's tying me to my past. What I find humorous is that my whole idea of God has shifted, so what I believed then, I believe something a bit different now, but the music is still meaningful.

I also loved broadway music and really got into it. I was really into all the Disney movies when they came out.

(I suppose I should add that's not the ONLY music I like, I love modern stuff, heavier rock, 70's rock, alternative, jazz, whatever. Well, she's not a music genre, but you know what I mean.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, I like some really cheesy music -- like Bread and John Ford Colley and all that late 70's / early 80's smooth listening stuff. I mean, I REALLY like it. (My first album I ever bought was Barry Manilow's greatest hits. On tape.) Some Earth Wind and Fire is awesome too.
    Oh me too, soft rock. America, Eagles, Ambrosia, Gordon Lightfoot, etc. I don't get too many comments about this from my peanut gallery so it is pretty much in the open. But my extensive file of "70's lyrics and their meanings" is hidden! I have spent a lot of time thinking and researching what different songs might mean.