User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you in the closet about?

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I get obsessed with trying to figure out what the song writer wanted to convey. I love music lyrics. I mean really, more than words can express.
    I love song lyrics, too, although in this notebook I have I don't even interpret the lyrics. I interpret the entire composition; how the music is structured and created and what effect it has, and how the different parts connect together. I then do the same for the lyrics; how is the poetry structured and what are some of the consistent techniques used (i.e. is a metaphor used on the same line of every verse?). I don't even actually interpret the lyrics (or at least, I don't write down an in depth interpretation of what they mean). I then compare how the lyrics and music are written and see how they connect and supplement eachother. Long story short, I look at the songwriting as a whole composition. My intention is to get enough songs in there and then read them all over and write up a thing about what is consistently effective throughout many songs. This will help me write songs myself

*starts to open the closet door sloooowly*

*closes it quickly*

Annnnnndddd - I'm sober now. Or close enough.
    Last edited by CzeCze; 05-22-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: I keep my promises
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Junior Member Array pinkchandelier's Avatar

i am really attracted to my best friend who's liked me for a long time, but he has no idea

Rats off to ya! Array Mort Belfry's Avatar

I secretly like that Estelle and Kanye West song "American Boy"
    Last edited by Mort Belfry; 05-24-2008 at 06:42 AM.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Senior Member Array TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp

I could relate to a lot of things posted here, but the things I make a conscious effort to avoid talking about vary from group to group.

Regarding hiding (or trying to hide) emotion.
    As a somewhat universal thing, one that thats probably a bit strange about me is that I try not to smile unless I feel I can justify it by talking about something good in my life, but certain people seem to give off an aura and I cant help but smile when I'm around them even though I try not to I don't know what that actually results in looking like on my face tho (trying to suppress an uncontrollable smile). Its one of those things thats affected me ever since i was a little kid.

most of my family (I'd make an exception for my sister, brother-in-law, and a several distant relatives).
    I avoid talking about relationships, religion, philosophy, psychology, music, entertainment, humor preferences, and pretty much anything that would show a sensitive side. Strangely, my family is one of the few groups that I'm OK with discussing politics with. Its not that talking about such things would be likely to cause conflicts, but those are interests and changes in me that have happened over time in experimental phases that would probably shock most of them to see me as anything other than a geek and political junkie, and I'd rather just keep things simple as I don't have any strong desire to talk to any of them about anything deeper than political policy.

Work (again with an exception for a couple co-workers that have earned my trust in them being open minded or like minded).
    Religion and politics are both big NOs for that. Lots of potential for conflict or offending there. If a co-worker asks about something I will give them an honest answer (maybe not a direct answer, but still one with truth in it), so they could potentially learn as much about me as they are willing to ask, but most don't so its a don't ask don't talk about it kind of thing. Perfectly content to let them just see me as a normal office geek. Showing emotion or talking about things that give me a strong emotional reaction are things I do try to avoid in a work environment as well, but to a lesser extent than with family.

I'm pretty open about most things if someone asks, but I don't go out of my way to show my non-geek side there much either unless I think the specific person I'm talking to would be like minded enough to understand that side of me (in which case I welcome all discussions).

This is where I show version of myself that is much closer to the complete self and I'll talk to nearly anyone about nearly anything (so long as they are polite and civil about it), and on-line is where I actually try to show enough of myself for people to better understand me and put it in places that are public enough for someone to find it if they really want to know more about me.

Stuff like literature, poetry, artistic things, philosophy, religion, psychology and things like that (which I also openly admit to only have basic knowledge (and a lot of curiosity) and not enough to carry on an intellectual type conversation on most of those) are topics I'd like to have more people to talk to about (and why I goto message boards when I have things on my mind because I have no RL friends to talk about those things with), but they are topics I'm not comfortable initiating dialog on, so unless somebody makes it clear they have an interest in one of those areas, they never see my interest in those areas.

As I mentioned in a recent personal thread, I've been contemplating my current religious/spiritual status and trying to figure out whats right for me in that area of my life, and aside from on-line here and talking to a couple friends, I've been in the closet about that, and the consideration of what to do if I do decide to follow through on the path I've been considering regarding friends, family, associates/co-workers etc. Choosing (or contemplating following) a religion that society seems to devalue (the only religions that seem to get much respect in the area I live are Christian types and atheism) is one of those things where I want to make the choice that I think is right for me, and I don't want to have to deny or be evasive about that choice, but I know that being completely open about it could cause a lot of headaches and unwanted conversations (people trying to convert/save me (Christian friends/family/co-workers), or simply think less of me for my choice (atheist friends/co-workers)).
    Last edited by TenebrousReflection; 06-18-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: minor edits...

I have very little ambition. I am harshly self critical.

I've gathered that both of these characteristics are generally frowned upon, so I try to keep them to myself as best I can.

8w9 sp/sx

How critical I am
    what i really think
    I N V I C T U S

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    I try to act less sensitive than I am.

Thats a big one for me too. Calm on the outside, choppy inside.
    Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head..." - Ween