• Merlin

8 40.00%
First 1234 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Didn't Merlin take on a dragon at some point?
    Gandalf died and came back again, I'm pretty sure in all the stories I've read about Merlin, he never did that.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTp

merlin wins it in my opinion. gandalf is good but he isn't as magical as merlin in my opinion. gandalf displayed few spells and ability to use magic. merlin will just destroy the old guy from a distance.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Merlin (even regardless of which of his many portrayals you choose) really seems like a much more flawed and potentially weaker character than Gandalf.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Didn't Merlin take on a dragon at some point?
    Gandalf died and came back again, I'm pretty sure in all the stories I've read about Merlin, he never did that.
    Merlin uttered a prophecy about two dragons under a pool - I think they represented the Britons and the Saxon invaders? Something like that. They aren't literal dragons in every version though. And I think the dragons fought each other, they just turned out to be there when/where he said they would be.

Incidentally, the one thing I really like better about The Hobbit than The Lord of the Rings is that it has a dragon!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

What are their types? Both intjs? It seems weird to have a thread about which of two intjs is cooler : D
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Merlin knows the future.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    What are their types? Both intjs? It seems weird to have a thread about which of two intjs is cooler : D
    It reminds me of threads about whether Star Trek or Star Wars would win in a war.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It reminds me of threads about whether Star Trek or Star Wars would win in a war.
    That's ridiculous premise! Lol.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I guess the OP wanted to make the comparison because they are the best known Wizards. Merlin has a number of stories associated with him. There's legend, there's fiction so old that we treat it as legend, and there's newer fiction which is just as relevant as legend. Merlin is usually a man with magic powers, at most being part of a great plan to create some sort of destiny to come about. Gandalf is also meant to perform a role in the world, but he is not a man, he is an Angelic being.

Sombody thought Merlin would win because he was more 'magical'. I was always impressed in Lord of the Rings how subtle the magic is compared to its D&D derivitives. I can only remember Gandalf using magic to make light. His role seemed mostly as an organizer, he probably had a directive on how he should interact with Middle Earth. But he did all out battle with two magical beings, both reported to be amazingly powerful: the Balrog and Saruman. Both of them things originating from outside of Middle Earth. He was first bested by Saruman, we don't know the details. He bested the Balrog and died, we don't know the details. He bested Saruman by breaking his will and staff. Maybe one of those battles had magic missiles or something, I dunno. My money is on Gandalf, although I would have no idea why they would fight.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Regarding the question of why they would fight - it just reminded me of the Gandalf-Saruman fight in the LOTR movie. Which is actually rather well done, but - when I first saw it I was a bit amused because in the book all they do is have this barbed, highly "English" wizard conversation and then Gandalf gets imprisoned.

When I watched the movie, I was like "Holy crap! Why are these two distinguished elderly gentlemen flinging each other around the room?"
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING