User Tag List

Default Emotional "Controllers" using Jungian Functions

Total BS probably, but I am struck by the analogies of issues we see with controllers in engineering systems.

For Background:
    PID controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fe - Input emotions
    Sensitivity problems here will make our outputs and general system behavior either very insensitive (unresponsive) to emotions.
    Signal-to-noise ratio issues can make us responsive to the "noise" instead of the "signal" etc.

Fi - Our Emotional Reference Signals
    Problems here will have out whole behavior track to the wrong places, no matter how well we do the actual tracking.

Ti - Our Emotional "routing"
    Moves emotional signals from one place to another.
    If we mis-categorize ("misroute") our emotional signals, our behavior may not "work" properly--the behavior will likely be hard to understand.

Te - Our Emotional "actuators/outputs"
    Makes actual changes in our behavior. Produces results. "Will Power."
    Problems here will limit the energy that can be used to either hold to where we would like to be and/or move to where we would like to be.

Se - Proportional Emotional Signal Blocks
    This can be used to enhance, reduce, or otherwise give appropriate scale to various emotional inputs.
    Problems here leads to distortions to emotional reality and other strange artifacts.

Si - Integral Emotional Signal Blocks
    Provides memory or "history" for emotional signals (IOW "integrates" signals).
    Problems here leads to not learning from the past, and or learning the wrong lessons from the past.

Ni - Comparator/Difference Blocks
    These are the ways to compare two signals (like comparing the difference between vision and reality).
    Problems here relate to poor tracking as well. The behavior seen by people who are rather poor at planning.

Ne - Differential Emotional Signal Blocks
    This detects changes in emotional signals. This allows tracking of trends when combined with Integral blocks.
    Problems here relate to the response and settling time in behavior.

Thoughts? B.S.? Some truth?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

Wow, this is the craziest thing I've seen all day. I like it and I believe it could grow into a pretty intense discussion.

I'm confused, though, so please walk me through your idea.

PID tuners are utilized in systems for the purpose of control. Would the idea be to control one's self emotionally by applying appropriate levels of S and/or N (the analogies to P, I, and D)?

By the way:
    What in the hell are we measuring?
    What's the set-point? or around what level are we attempting to stabilize?

MBTI
    NICE

Edit: Sorry ygolo, not the thread that's funny, but the location...

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    Wow, this is the craziest thing I've seen all day. I like it and I believe it could grow into a pretty intense discussion.

I'm confused, though, so please walk me through your idea.

PID tuners are utilized in systems for the purpose of control. Would the idea be to control one's self emotionally by applying appropriate levels of S and/or N (the analogies to P, I, and D)?

By the way:
    What in the hell are we measuring?
    What's the set-point? or around what level are we attempting to stabilize?

It's a bit involved for a cockamamie idea, I suppose.

But this is what I was thinking...

Although, I was alluding to a PID controller for a simple example, the human animal is much more complicated and will have many more Ps, Is, Ds, comparators(summers are comprised of a negative valued P into the subtraction end of a comparator).

In addition, there will be multiple inputs that need to be resolved, and multiple "reference signals" (values) to resolve along with the inputs, and multiple outputs/actuators (the human system is actually embedded in a larger system).

The method of representing things with a bunch of connections of Ps, Ds, Is from inputs (including references) to outputs, is one paradigm used in general system modeling (other being "stocks-and-flows" and "generalized-state-vector/matrix-dynamics"--the on I'm using is more "analog" and appeals to my intuition more).

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post

Edit: Sorry ygolo, not the thread that's funny, but the location...
    Graveyard? I thought there was a little humor involved.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield