User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We need to belong - we need to belong - we need to belong to anything - no matter how distasteful.
    Correct! I am gladdened to here that you and I shall put Paris between us, so to speak, each holding her fair, dainty paw. Walking down the isle of wisdom towards belonging.

But what of her small dog, Toto? Must he bark alone. Perhaps you have room in your pocket for a frightened animal. And grasp infinity with both hands!

Bananatrombones.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

And the striking thing is that all our projections are perjorative - all our projections are negative - highly negative.
    You're wrong about that. We may criticize her openly, but I'd wager a healthy percentage of the population is rather jealous of her station. So when a negative, such as her sex video, comes out, the backlash is severe. Schadenfreude.

I... suppose. Yeah!

Default From the Spoken to the Literate to the Electronic

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I haven't. Because I'm only a shade over thirty. And the Western Union telegram was discontinued in early 2006, due to an extraordinary decline in interest due in large part to displacement by e-mail. In other words, insisting on using the telegram was an increasingly dumb idea.

I hate to break it to you, but the old-fashioned printing press is rather out of vogue, supplanted by desktop publishing. Does this blurring of the lines between hard-copy and electronic media disturb you?

Another thing you may wish to consider is succinctness. As you no doubt know, given your history lesson on the telegraph, conveying messages was very expensive and time-consuming. Payment was usually per word. If you insist on replicating the telegram experience, you might want to condense your posts from 27 lines to a handful of words. I'm sure you'd like to keep the experience as authentic as possible.

You still love jumping to conclusions, I see.

This is a good name for a funk band.
    Over the past 200,000 years we have had three cultures.

The spoken culture for almost 200,000 years and the literate culture for 200 years and the electronic culture is on us as you read.

The spoken culture was based on the human voice while the literate culture is based on the Printing Press and the electronic culture is based on the telegraph, the telephone, the television and the internet.

Each culture imprints a cast of thought and style. And at the moment we are at an interesting point where we are moving from a literate culture to an electronic culture.

V.

MBTI
    INXP

Consider,

Paris is a screen on which we project ourselves.

So if we want to know ourselves, we only need to look at Paris.

And the striking thing is that all our projections are perjorative - all our projections are negative - highly negative.

And not only that but we all make the same projections.

So we are making a mass, negative projection on Paris.

This means that not only don't we like ourselves but we don't like each other.

What attracts us, unconsciously, is our mutual distaste.

But we are too weak individually to break free.

We need to belong - we need to belong - we need to belong to anything - no matter how distasteful.

V.
    Telegram to Self appointed spokesman. Stop.

Your "we", excludes "me" Stop.

Please. Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Correct! I am gladdened to here that you and I shall put Paris between us, so to speak, each holding her fair, dainty paw. Walking down the isle of wisdom towards belonging.

But what of her small dog, Toto? Must he bark alone. Perhaps you have room in your pocket for a frightened animal. And grasp infinity with both hands!

Bananatrombones.
    You ol' silly, you.

V.

MBTI
    INFP

It excludes me too. Generalisations such as that (esp. on a forum where intellect and a mind of one's own are valued) make a weak argument.

Default Mass Emotional Reaction to Paris

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    You're wrong about that. We may criticize her openly, but I'd wager a healthy percentage of the population is rather jealous of her station. So when a negative, such as her sex video, comes out, the backlash is severe. Schadenfreude.
    The mass emotional reaction to Paris only conceals what is happening right in front of our noses.

V.

Default The Panic of a Dissolving "Me".

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Telegram to Self appointed spokesman. Stop.

Your "we", excludes "me" Stop.

Please. Stop.
    To : Geoff
    Subject : "We" and "me".

"Me", is an artifact of print culture. "Me", is an artifact of the Printing Press while, "we", is an artifact of the electronic culture.

"We", are all part of the global village, while "me" is a literate individual.

"Me", is dissolving into "we" as we speak together here and now.

Naturally "me" starts to panic as it disappears into "we".

V.

MBTI
    INXP

To : Geoff
    Subject : "We" and "me".

"Me", is an artifact of print culture. "Me", is an artifact of the Printing Press while, "we", is an artifact of the electronic culture.

"We", are all part of the global village, while "me" is a literate individual.

"Me", is dissolving into "we" as we speak together here and now.

Naturally "me" starts to panic as it disappears into "we".

V.
    The me certainly does panic, if the we appoints you as spokesman.

Default We Are All One - Ready or Not

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    The me certainly does panic, if the we appoints you as spokesman.
    In the global village we all speak with one voice.

While each literate individual speaks with their own voice.

For instance, the mass reaction to Paris is the whole global village speaking with one voice.

So the important thing is to ask, what is the global village saying.

And you notice, it is saying, Paris is a bad girl.

It is plain we are projecting our own negativity onto Paris, and the whole global village, the whole "we", is doing it.

You may care to ask, if you value "me" so highly why are you joining in, why are you part of the mass "we" devaluing Paris.

Gosh, I can remember in the sixties when we would chant, "We are all one". Well, now we are all one, like it or not.

V.