User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Grammar correcting. Helpful or irritating?

I would make sure my grammar was spot on if I was writing a paper for school, in a job interview or making a speech. I'm not. I'm having a conversation and I don't need to be proper. As long as my point is understood without any follow-up questions, my communication is obviously fine.

I notice most of the people who do this are strangers or people I do not know well. That is even more reason I consider them to be smug, irritating and condescending. Also, it ruins really good stories.

Question time:

How does everyone else feel about this topic?
    What do you think of the people who do this?
    Do you find people who correct grammar to be mainly strangers or people you know well?
    If you are a grammar corrector, why do you do it?
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

My first thought when reading your post was "find a spelling mistake". I didn't find one....I bet you probably checked, double-checked and triple-checked before posting.

Personally, I agree with your thoughts on communication and will usually only point out an error when the context is appropriate for that type of response. Such a response would usually be made for humour value only and have no malicious intent whatsoever.
    I=76%, N=77%, T=79%, P=77%; or
    I=68%, N=84%, T=68%, P=89% (Comprehensive Report)
    Enneagram 9w1 so

MBTI
    INTP

I'm an English teacher and a excellent speller naturally, and I have no inclination to correct the grammar of those I interact with socially. My job in a social setting is to try to understand where the other person is coming from. I wouldn't welcome anyone correcting my grammar or spelling unsolicited, either, because I'd feel like the person wasn't listening to my message and/or was just a giant douchecanoe. My mother corrected my grammar when I was growing up, but I'd even be irritated at her if she tried to do that now. Adults shouldn't correct the grammar of other adults.

If someone has asked to be corrected (if they're learning English or learning American English) for their own edification, that's another matter.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm an English teacher and a excellent speller naturally, and I have no inclination to correct the grammar of those I interact with socially. My job in a social setting is to try to understand where the other person is coming from. I wouldn't welcome anyone correcting my grammar or spelling unsolicited, either, because I'd feel like the person wasn't listening to my message and/or was just a giant douchecanoe. My mother corrected my grammar when I was growing up, but I'd even be irritated at her if she tried to do that now. Adults shouldn't correct the grammar of other adults.

If someone has asked to be corrected (if they're learning English or learning American English) for their own edification, that's another matter.
    But don't you think excellent spelling English teachers who get irritated at their mother rather than by her are fair game?
    Enneagram 9w1 so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I would make sure my grammar was spot on if I was writing a paper for school, in a job interview or making a speech. I'm not. I'm having a conversation and I don't need to be proper. As long as my point is understood without any follow-up questions, my communication is obviously fine.

I notice most of the people who do this are strangers or people I do not know well. That is even more reason I consider them to be smug, irritating and condescending. Also, it ruins really good stories.

Question time:

How does everyone else feel about this topic?
    What do you think of the people who do this?
    Do you find people who correct grammar to be mainly strangers or people you know well?
    If you are a grammar corrector, why do you do it?
    You missed a comma. Muahahha, you won't believe me, but the possibility will eat away at you!

But, to be honest, I don't think grammar is very important, unless you are writing a professional or academic paper.
    I correct people from time to time, but usually only to mess with them. My own grammar isn't bullet proof, and unless yours is, I don't think you really have the right to correct the grammar of others. Unless you are just joking, of course.

Basically, if you can form a sentence well enough to be understood, you're fine in most situations in my opinion.

P.S. I like your signature quote by the way.

Banned

I think grammar correction can be a helpful thing if it is setup as more of a support function. That is, someone is nice enough to proofread or check your work when it takes on significance. However, I usually notice that most who correct grammar or spelling errors lack tact, and are full of bountiful scorn/expectation in association with their "insight." This scorn, ill-timing, and snobbish attitude usually grates at me like you wouldn't imagine. This usually ruins the aforementioned benefit of having someone "watching your back."

One of the first rules in Apple's retail store is do not correct mispronunciations of Apple products. Generalized, that's a good guideline to follow.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mikamickmac View Post
    But don't you think excellent spelling English teachers who get irritated at their mother rather than by her are fair game?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
    When you claim to be an expert and then, in the same paragraph, make an error within your field of expertise you can't really get upset when someone points out your mistake in jest, can you?
    Enneagram 9w1 so

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mikamickmac View Post
    When you claim to be an expert and then, in the same paragraph, make an error within your field of expertise you can't really get upset when someone points out your mistake in jest, can you?
    Ah. Thanks for demonstrating the douchecanoe behavior I referenced in my original post. Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

Ah. Thanks for demonstrating the douchecanoe behavior I referenced in my original post. Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen.
    I don't make a habit of it
    Enneagram 9w1 so