User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grammar correcting. Helpful or irritating?

Freaking Ratchet Array Rail Tracer's Avatar

As long as the person makes an attempt to write a decent sentence without butchering every other word, I can care a little less.

Senior Member Array JivinJeffJones's Avatar

Personally I appreciate it when people correct my spelling or grammar, though it may irritate me for a few moments. Obvious typos are an exception. Being a dick about it also reduces the gratitude. But if it's a repeated mistake then I'd rather be informed than continue to err. Occasionally if I know someone well enough I may offer a private correction (assuming it's a repeated mistake) under the "do unto others" rule. That's only if their spelling and grammar are otherwise of a very high standard though. I assume they'd want to know. Some people just struggle with it. I don't correct them. I struggle with maths, and wouldn't enjoy having my face rubbed in it. I already know it's a weakness.

If I don't know the person well I don't correct them. I'm not correcting someone in this thread right now.

ETA: I've only corrected the spelling/grammar of one person on one occasion in the last 10 years or so. So it isn't something I do lightly. I did it because the error was repeated fairly frequently and was jarringly at odds with his obvious mastery of the language. Something like "could of", though not that I don't think. Something a computer spell-check would miss. I also once advised a random website that "analize" was probably not the word they meant, but I don't think that counts.

I agree with lulah. In an adult conversation, leave the grammar edification out if it isn't asked for. Would you nitpick a person for anything else without solicitation? Does your neighbor prune their rose bushes wrong? Is your elderly customer's eyebrow penciling wobbly? Does the car next to yours have expired registration? I suppose you could say yes to all of the above, but don't expect gratitude.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

The Memes Justify the End Array EcK's Avatar
    ILE None

helpful. I actually ask people to correct me though most of the time it's just a typo (forgetting to type a word, replacing a word for another etc but i would spot it RIGHT away if i went over what I wrote)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    helpful. I actually ask people to correct me though most of the time it's just a typo (forgetting to type a word, replacing a word for another etc but i would spot it RIGHT away if i went over what I wrote)
    Well you obviously didn't go through it this time .

I feel really annoyed when I make grammar mistakes. This also includes spelling mistakes. I would feel rather annoyed if someone corrects me though. When a mistake is pointed out it is usually pointed out not as a rep comment but as a thread post. If one really wishes to correct a mistake the best way to do it is to give a rep. This way it is obvious that he/she wishes well rather than he/she meant to patronize you.

I've met a few people who incessantly correct my grammar and it basically gives the impression that the listener isn't actually listening. I don't bother talking to people if they don't understand why it detracts from the content of conversation.

Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Senior Member Array

I don't correct people, but I don't mind being corrected generally, since I'd rather know about it and improve.

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

I've never had someone correct my grammar, as far as I remember. I don't think I would care, although it'd be annoying if they missed the point of what I was saying to focus on the grammar. I'd kinda want to know if I had a repeated grammar error that I was unaware of, though. Casual conversation doesn't count.
    -end of thread-